Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM

To clarify it is actually NOT legal to possess a limit of fish for any children or any licensed angler for that matter who are not actively fishing. Technically a fish which is caught counts toward the limit of the one who caught it and cannot be transferred to another's limit. Straight from the mounths of SRD.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
To clarify it is actually NOT legal to possess a limit of fish for any children or any licensed angler for that matter who are not actively fishing. Technically a fish which is caught counts toward the limit of the one who caught it and cannot be transferred to another's limit. Straight from the mounths of SRD.
X2....this is one of my biggest "peeves" is when this happens....pooling limits is a major strain on our fisheries whether they are "native" or "put and take".

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 PM

I agree Lefty. Put and take, native, pond or any regulated body of water... there's only 3 options:

1. Call them in and let the authorities deal with it.
2. Attempt to educate them (not the smartest thing to do at all).
3. Turn a blind eye.

While people are entitled to option #3, bear in mind it does nothing at all to solve the problem. In fact it encourages others to do the same.

No offence to the OP. In fact it's a great thread to get people thinking that maybe it is a bigger deal when you think of the whole scheme of things. Thanks for posting. If we don't tighten up on conservation now, even put and take ponds are going to diminish. If the perps continue this practice daily for example, and complete families can have that much of an affect on a pond, SRD's just gonna pull the plug on them anyways.

I all for more "kids only" ponds.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM

I think making these ponds kids only would partially fix the issue....I personally think the best would be to make them catch and release for the major portion of the year. Only have a 1 or 2 month time frame where the limit PER ANGLER is reduced to 2 and 4 in posession.

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Banned

I am against age restrictions on pond fishing as a means of controlling the actions of grown A55 men and women.

This strategy punishes the majority of law abiding anglers, while increasing opportunities for groups that make up the minority of anglers.

We should be striving for equal opportunities for ALL, not catering to special needs groups of anglers, segregation hasn't been historically successful in any society as far as history reads to me.

I'm all for decreased limits on pond trout, a 2-3 fish limit in fact could provide extended opportunities to fish these ponds with success past a month or two past the stocking date, and three fish is more than enough for 1 person, especially if EVERYONE IS CATCHING THEIR OWN LIMIT.

Seasonal C&R release regulations is an interesting idea, however without a bait ban as well most of the gut-hooked mishandled juvenile trout would die anyways.

I'd like to see an investment in trying to make some of these ponds self sustaining, building protected artificial spawning areas for fish, this strategy has proven to be effective on small streams damaged by off roaders and industry.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM

^^^^^^^^

I can agree with that...!

Except in trout ponds there is no sense in creating spawning habitat....they are sterile 2N and 3N fish from what I understand.

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortwheez View Post
LOL!
Italo does fish in this area from time to time....
Does he still poach?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Does he still poach?
Does he drive a beige mini-van?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM

DP......(double post sickos)

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 03:53 PM

I have heard of people taking fish like that and grinding them up (whole fish) and mixing with beef or something to make fish patties... sounds pretty nasty to me.

30 six inch fish is too much.. I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find a big one in that body of water.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
^^^^^^^^

I can agree with that...!

Except in trout ponds there is no sense in creating spawning habitat....they are sterile 2N and 3N fish from what I understand.

LC
My point being would there be a need to stock sterile fish where self sustaining naturally spawning fish have taken hold? Those rainbows in the Bow figured out how to take hold, there has to be a better way to create self sustaining artificial fisheries.

Obviously not every prairie pond would be suitable, but places like Blood Indian and Chain Lakes south come to mind.

Expensive initial investment for long term returns in the form of eliminating the cost of growing and stocking annually....its a pipe dream i know, but some of us can see the big picture.

Last edited by ReconWilly; 06-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I have heard of people taking fish like that and grinding them up (whole fish) and mixing with beef or something to make fish patties... sounds pretty nasty to me.

30 six inch fish is too much.. I'll bet you'd be hard pressed to find a big one in that body of water.
fish cakes are awesome and a great way to prepare fish like barracuda which have crazy amounts of bones, especially when they are small.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
Yah ok... I must be a crazy wicked "aryan guard" because I mentioned one thing about race, no I didn't slander the asians, africans, or any other race but heaven forbid anybody mention factually, respectfully anything about someones race.. If one of my fellow "aryans" as you stereotype us was poaching than I'd say the white guy was poaching, cmon people.. If I said ya those damn asians always are poaching maybe you'd have a legitimate arguement as that being racist. But my comments were in no way shape or form directed at any particular race or stereotyping any race either..
Well, the thing about calling "a spade a spade" is that no one has the cajones to call them it to their face.

the part highlighted in red is pretty much a biweekly thread here, so if I'm grouping you with other blatantly racist and completely ignorant good'ol white boys on the forum and I shouldn't be, my apologies.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Well, the thing about calling "a spade a spade" is that no one has the cajones to call them it to their face.

the part highlighted in red is pretty much a biweekly thread here, so if I'm grouping you with other blatantly racist and completely ignorant good'ol white boys on the forum and I shouldn't be, my apologies.
Hmmmm.....trying to fight fire with fire?

2 rascists don't make an acceptist do they?

Maybe I am missing the point? I call a poacher a poacher to their face....

Why would I call an "asian" an asian to his/her face?.....I am pretty sure he/she has looked in the mirror once or twice and knows he/she is asian....

LC
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:

what are you? what ever you are, I will call it to your face. pm me and we will meet up......if you have the cajones that is.

yours truly,

Ignorant good ol white boy.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Beeguy is by no way a racist and is an ethical angler. I'm sure he has the cajones and many fellow anglers to back him up.

How stupid has this thread gone.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoseeker View Post
Beeguy is by no way a racist and is an ethical angler. I'm sure he has the cajones and many fellow anglers to back him up.

Agreed, imagine if everyone were color blind.

Settle down guys, you're on the same team...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoseeker View Post

Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
what are you? what ever you are, I will call it to your face. pm me and we will meet up......if you have the cajones that is.

yours truly,

Ignorant good ol white boy.
Mikeo2. I knew that was you.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 PM

its getting heated in here.

when im fishing with the family, and we are keeping eyes to eat, sometimes someone will catch 2 keepers and someone wont. we go out with 5 people, come out with 5 fish. everyone was fishing, some caught some didnt.

but we also have another 10+ people back at camp to feed so we need to limit out when we go out
Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

when im fishing with the family, and we are keeping eyes to eat, sometimes someone will catch 2 keepers and someone wont. we go out with 5 people, come out with 5 fish. everyone was fishing, some caught some didnt.

but we also have another 10+ people back at camp to feed so we need to limit out when we go out
whoa boy!

splitting limits? that's poacher talk...

I've seen a couple other white people do that before too!

Thems be talkin all funny to, somethin about a flat of coors light on the branches of a spruce tree and billybobs terty odd. gone be a good night.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

OH Boy.......................lol
Old 06-25-2012, 11:10 PM