Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Dave have you ever fished a quality lake?
Hell no.....lol! I do fine where I fish if I want trout. I don't fly fish either which IMO would make life a whole lot harder to catch a bigger fish. It would take more patience and perseverance than the way that I catch them but if that's your thing then fill your boots. Just don't whine about it being too hard when you chose to stick to that method.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Hell no.....lol! I do fine where I fish if I want trout. I don't fly fish either which IMO would make life a whole lot harder to catch a bigger fish. It would take more patience and perseverance than the way that I catch them but if that's your thing then fill your boots. Just don't whine about it being too hard when you chose to stick to that method.
LOL, I had guessed not.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned

I'm 55 years old and not from the entitled generation. For me there's more satisfaction in catching a bigger trout through hard work than someone handing it to me.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I'm 55 years old and not from the entitled generation. For me there's more satisfaction in catching a bigger trout through hard work than someone handing it to me.
We're close enough to call us the same age Dave, bigger trout is a relative term. What's bigger for me might not be to you and vice versa, I want to catch the biggest trout the lake holds, got nothing to do with being handed to you. We have a lake here that 12" would be a trophy and we have lakes that a 20" barely raises an eyebrow, well for some, for others it's a trophy of a life time. Nothing wrong with that. Also bare in mind we both speak out of our own personal experiences, what I might take for granted and what you take for granted are probably two different things, I have about 5 trout lakes to choose from, one a quality fishery, it's very popular, more so with people that travel a long ways to get here. I wonder why on occasion how it is, something I take for granted almost can be so precious to people from far away.

I hear a lot of people saying what of the children, I can honestly say I have never seen so many happy kids as I do at the QF, why is that? Because they catch fish, more than at the put and take lakes. If I had kids of that age now, the QF is where we would go, would they catch the biggest fish in the lake no, but they would catch a pile of nice fish, more so than anywhere else I would guess, the fish are always there, nobody takes them home.

You speak disparagingly of fly fisherman, I would guess you find them snobbish, there is more than one kind of snob. Some of us look down our noses at others because, we think we are a little more clever or a little less snobbish but in the end we're just like those we have a disdain for.

Oh and I doubt you work harder for your fish than I do, you might, but I truly doubt it.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
You speak disparagingly of fly fisherman, I would guess you find them snobbish, there is more than one kind of snob.
I don't have a problem with all fly fishermen, just the ones that whine about not being able to catch big trout and want to take our fishing waters away to make life easier for themselves. All of the ones that I've ever met in real life seem to be happy and enjoying their fishing.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Simply because there are not enough quality lakes in the province to meet the demand of people who want to fish them. These lakes become slightly better than regular 5 fish lakes but SRD overstocking and fish mortality rates aren't allowing many of these fish to grow over 5lbs+.

In Manitoba, there are a number of lakes in a close radius that are managed well to grow big fish and see relatively little fishing pressure. 4-5lbs is an average fish, they often stock brown and rainbows together, they have tiger trout, and the chance at a 10lb+ fish is a real possibility. It's enough to seriously wreck a guy.

Yes. Aerated lakes should be C&R or a limit of one. Glad you figured that out all on your own. I don't know why SRD has such an issue with ice fishermen to be honest? They allow it in Manitoba... hey, they even allow bait!

Actually Dave, the average person would rather catch larger fish (even if it means catching less) than more, smaller fish. The "special" people these days are the ones that bonk their limit every time they are out fishing with little regard for the sustainability or future of that fishery (obviously, keeping 5 at a lake that winterkills anyway is not what I'm talking about here).
Cheers.
The Bolded section is coming from where? Your statistical data?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM

When I go fishing, I just like to catch fish. I don't care what size, or even species they are. It's just a fun way to pass the days away. I dont go out looking for the Moby Dick of the trout ponds. I'd rather catch 10 small ones over the day, than 1 big one. I don't keep them anyway so size isn't important to me. Maybe I'm just weird, I dunno lol
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM

This is from a season long creel survey done at BH. Support for the lake as a QF 79.1%, change to C&R 9.7%, go back to regular regs, 1.8%, make the size limit different 3.4%.

Oh, surprise, surprise, percent of fisherman surveyed that were fly fishermen, 51.5%, just over half. The rest must be delusioned souls lost in the world right?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
The Bolded section is coming from where? Your statistical data?
Partly, and partly from here that shows the growing trend of anglers practicing more catch and release and less catch and keep.

Fish Harvest.jpg

I've shown you mine (stats from SRD) you show me yours that proves differently...

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
When I go fishing, I just like to catch fish. I don't care what size, or even species they are. It's just a fun way to pass the days away. I dont go out looking for the Moby Dick of the trout ponds. I'd rather catch 10 small ones over the day, than 1 big one. I don't keep them anyway so size isn't important to me. Maybe I'm just weird, I dunno lol
It's not a matter of ten or one, I guess that's my point, QF ensures that those little dinks make it to 16". If I asked you would you rather catch ten 8" trout or ten 16" trout, what would your answer be?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Partly, and partly from here that shows the growing trend of anglers practicing more catch and release and less catch and keep.

Attachment 73885

I've shown you mine (stats from SRD) you show me yours that proves differently...

Cheers.
How about showing the changes on harvest regulations over the timeline shown in the graph. I suspect the catch and release trend is symbiotic with the fishing regulations. If we had the opportunity to keep more fish, many likely would.

What I see is a willingness for the fishing community to accept further restrictions on seasons and harvest versus putting in a personal effort to creating more fishing opportunities.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Attachment 73885

Cheers.
that chart has NOTHING to do with what the average person 'would rather catch'. I have no idea how you correllated the two????????

Just because we have a massive increas in C&R means absolutely nothing within regards to what people would rather have. I havent kept a fish in 15 years....but I would much rather catch 100 2-5 lb pike while out with my buddies or kid than spend 8 hours on the lake and catch a 15 lb'er.

But hey, I appreciate the fact you like making things up. Im completely blown away that you think that specific chart has anything to do with what you are arguing lol
Old 06-07-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
How about showing the changes on harvest regulations over the timeline shown in the graph. I suspect the catch and release trend is symbiotic with the fishing regulations. If we had the opportunity to keep more fish, many likely would.

What I see is a willingness for the fishing community to accept further restrictions on seasons and harvest versus putting in a personal effort to creating more fishing opportunities.
How would you create more fishing opportunities? We have a finite no. of lakes, as far as I'm aware, anywhere in Alberta that can hold fish does. I'd be all for creating more res. in the hill country south of the Hat, but whose going to give up the land.

Maybe your thinking along a different line than I am.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
How would you create more fishing opportunities? We have a finite no. of lakes, as far as I'm aware, anywhere in Alberta that can hold fish does. I'd be all for creating more res. in the hill country south of the Hat, but whose going to give up the land.

Maybe your thinking along a different line than I am.
By creating them in abandoned coal mines and reclaiming lakes like was done with Muir. IMO Hasse Lake would have been a good one to turn into a "quality" lake if people would have wanted to put in the time and effort to do it. Instead, they'd rather go after an established lake like Dolberg that has a history of producing big trout. No effort whatsoever, just ban ice fishing and bait and put restrictions on the size and keep limits.....voila. You know, just like what was done with that big fish producing machine called Police Lake.

If someone is too lazy to put in the time and effort that it takes to catch a big trout in a normal lake how much work do you think they want to do to create a "quality" lake? What people created for themselves with Muir Lake is fantastic and admirable. These are the types of people that "quality" fellas should emulate instead of rationalizing why it's okay to take fishing opportunities away from outdoorsmen.

I'm on board with the "put in the effort and create something for yourselves" line of thinking.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
that chart has NOTHING to do with what the average person 'would rather catch'. I have no idea how you correllated the two????????
I should have been more specific in my response; the chart showing an increased trend in catch and release was supporting this argument that I made earlier: The "special" people these days are the ones that bonk their limit every time they are out fishing with little regard for the sustainability or future of that fishery

I wasn't trying to use the C&R chart to correlate to people wanting bigger fish.

Cheers.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM

A lot of people here are in their own little world.

We've got people with actual data and statistics, not armchair biologists. Who are being completely disregarded by those who cant pull their heads out of their rear end.

As soon as a lake turn into quality, all of a sudden, you're up in arms because "your" lake is "taken" away from you? Give me a break. Just because you dont want it changed, doesnt mean the majority of the public does not want it changed. You can still fish it, just dont friggen waste the limited tax dollars of the public that SRD has access to, that are put into stocking the little guys by bonking 5 of them every time you go out. Jesus christ.

Why the hell do we have new threads everyday asking about locations, on the forum, that constantly pop up about asking for locations with good fishing for big fish. "hot spots" as many would call them.

This place is a complete joke.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
By creating them in abandoned coal mines and reclaiming lakes like was done with Muir. IMO Hasse Lake would have been a good one to turn into a "quality" lake if people would have wanted to put in the time and effort to do it. Instead, they'd rather go after an established lake like Dolberg that has a history of producing big trout. No effort whatsoever, just ban ice fishing and bait and put restrictions on the size and keep limits.....voila. You know, just like what was done with that big fish producing machine called Police Lake.

If someone is too lazy to put in the time and effort that it takes to catch a big trout in a normal lake how much work do you think they want to do to create a "quality" lake? What people created for themselves with Muir Lake is fantastic and admirable. These are the types of people that "quality" fellas should emulate instead of rationalizing why it's okay to take fishing opportunities away from outdoorsmen.

I'm on board with the "put in the effort and create something for yourselves" line of thinking.

Its time to share Dave.

There is more and more wanting a few more quality fisheries. I am not saying do away with put and take but allowing a few more to be converted to quality.
25 - 30 years ago many fisheries down south were "quality" fisheries. Populations and fishing pressure has changed that. 30 years ago average size for Police was about 15-16" even with periodic winter kills. Guess what, since it was made into a quality fishery, we see that 16"+ average again.

There is room to make a few more quality fisheries even from existing water bodies.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Alberta, stocked pond fisheries management (Schooled at clown college)

Just returned from Manitoba where we caught lot's of these! Rainbow, Tiger Trout, Brown Trout, and Brook Trout all between 18" and 30".

The aerated lakes in Manitoba have proven what happens when you mix aeration and and regulation. It saddens me to think of the sheep who settle for the 5 fingerling regulations that we continue to role out in this province. The archaic posture of stocked fisheries management has limited and even destroyed lakes that have shown the ability to grow large trout.

I know of 5 lakes in the Edmonton area alone that have produced 30" trout with consecutive no kill winters. Aeration and Regulation have proven itself.

I can't understand however how some people think that by growing larger fish we are limiting there opportunity??

The majority though have spoken and Mediocrity rules.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manitoba Rainbow.jpg (36.0 KB, 21 views)

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:

I & a few others have been trying for over 7 yrs.to get Dipping Vat lake back on the stocking program.It was a lake that produced & was a fantastic fishery.But thanks to greed by a few,this lake will probaly never ever see fish stocked in it.It is void of fish,srd & landowners are in talks to restock it.If it gets restocked it ,will be a new fishery & hopefully a Quality Lake Fishery.So if you really want to get out & demand better fishing oppurtunites.Get a hold of your area Biologist,lobby your MP'S.Some of these small towns that are around these waterbodies benefit greatly,from tourists,fishermen etc.Why have our fisher people travelling hundreds,thousands of km's to fish.Let's keep them here & there money here to develope more fishing opportunites..
Old 06-07-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I & a few others have been trying for over 7 yrs.to get Dipping Vat lake back on the stocking program.It was a lake that produced & was a fantastic fishery.But thanks to greed by a few,this lake will probaly never ever see fish stocked in it.It is void of fish,srd & landowners are in talks to restock it.If it gets restocked it ,will be a new fishery & hopefully a Quality Lake Fishery.So if you really want to get out & demand better fishing oppurtunites.Get a hold of your area Biologist,lobby your MP'S.Some of these small towns that are around these waterbodies benefit greatly,from tourists,fishermen etc.Why have our fisher people travelling hundreds,thousands of km's to fish.Let's keep them here & there money here to develope more fishing opportunites..
Why are they not stocking it?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
A lot of people here are in their own little world.

We've got people with actual data and statistics, not armchair biologists. Who are being completely disregarded by those who cant pull their heads out of their rear end.

As soon as a lake turn into quality, all of a sudden, you're up in arms because "your" lake is "taken" away from you? Give me a break. Just because you dont want it changed, doesnt mean the majority of the public does not want it changed. You can still fish it, just dont friggen waste the limited tax dollars of the public that SRD has access to, that are put into stocking the little guys by bonking 5 of them every time you go out. Jesus christ.

Why the hell do we have new threads everyday asking about locations, on the forum, that constantly pop up about asking for locations with good fishing for big fish. "hot spots" as many would call them.

This place is a complete joke.
I think Dave's biggest problem is he has never fished a QF and he is under some preconceived notions.

Any way, yes I would like to see more QF as do most anglers, but I would also like to see a reduction of limits on trout and have them brought more in line with other stocked species. If the limit was dropped to two or three it would still allow people to eat fish but hopefully the resource would last longer. This would help spread pressure around a little.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-08-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Why are they not stocking it?
srd has chosen not to stock,because of 2 landowners with issues. one issue is apparently[this place was a very viable fishery for 35+ yrs.] there was never a water licence taken out for the structure.there was a buck for wildlife project there 35 yrs ago,they didn't get a lic.therefore when supplemental water is drawn from the dike system,this is an issue.the other land owner wants to be compensated for his apparent loss of land,when the water level is brought up to sustain the fish.this inturn causes eroision of his land.buck for wildlife & a small group of dedicated flyfishers from calgary did the work.the flyguys/gals suppiled the labor & buck for wildlife supplied the expertise..
in all our efforts to resolve these have gone the way of the dodo bird.
to be fair the landowners shouldn't have to carry the brunt of the issues.we tried to minumize the parking area.so that the farmer,could access his property[planting etc.]the worst offenders were the bank fisher's,ignoring signs,leaving gates down..
srd is still in talks with these issues..contact DavidDePape@gov.ca or Terry Clayton@gov.ca..you have every right to ask questions ,these guys work for us...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Hello! Wind power? Could solve a lot of problems. Initial costs can b high but purdy much run themselves after that! Not like we have much wind here in alberta.

I agree monies are being ****ed away on so many of these stock ponds. Just so ppl can keep fish! Like I tell most ppl. If you want to eat fish go to the grocery! It's cheaper than your gas to the lake. I love food and fish is a fav but I've got no issue fishing c&r 24/7. I put on 15000km fishing yearly to go after big fish. This put n take bullony sucks up ridiculous amounts of monies that could be much better used.

IMHO even tiny lakes can make hogs but few things are necessary.
#1 low mortality from fisherman. Go to barbless single hooks fly fishing only. Snivel all u want this is purdy much the best thing that could be done for a lake.

#2 once population established CUT BACK on stocking. Too many fish will stunt the lake and use up the food.

#3 keep the bucket brigade out. A crime that should be punished with a permanent loss to fish rights.

#4 aeration/monitoring - because the pot holes are not meant to make fish it will not work without O2. Yeah lakes like dolberg have gotten away with no aerator in the past but i suspect many of our lakes lost there larger fish due to low O2 this winter. That's money being wasted and years of time to make this fish big. I say if it isn't aerated don't stock it.

They are so worried about catering to the guy that want to eat muddy trout. When tf are they gonna cater to the guy that pours his god damn life into trying to catch one big trout?! Cuz that guy poors a hell of a lot more into the economy and f&g, srd, aca, etc. I don't even want to keep a damn fish just get a photo and put it back for someone else. But I sure as hell hope it's not some smuck that wants to eat it.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 06-08-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Hello! Wind power? Could solve a lot of problems. Initial costs can b high but purdy much run themselves after that! Not like we have much wind here in alberta.

I agree monies are being ****ed away on so many of these stock ponds. Just so ppl can keep fish! Like I tell most ppl. If you want to eat fish go to the grocery! It's cheaper than your gas to the lake. I love food and fish is a fav but I've got no issue fishing c&r 24/7. I put on 15000km fishing yearly to go after big fish. This put n take bullony sucks up ridiculous amounts of monies that could be much better used.

Not everyone feels the way u do! Nothing wrong with put and take either! That money is well spent!!!

IMHO even tiny lakes can make hogs but few things are necessary.
#1 low mortality from fisherman. Go to barbless single hooks fly fishing only. Snivel all u want this is purdy much the best thing that could be done for a lake.

Cant believe you said that! Makes me want to give up fly fishing!:snapoutofit:

#2 once population established CUT BACK on stocking. Too many fish will stunt the lake and use up the food.

Tiny lakes, this is kinda impractical. Probably the best lakes for P&T

#3 keep the bucket brigade out. A crime that should be punished with a permanent loss to fish rights.

Go fly fishing only and see what happens!

#4 aeration/monitoring - because the pot holes are not meant to make fish it will not work without O2. Yeah lakes like dolberg have gotten away with no aerator in the past but i suspect many of our lakes lost there larger fish due to low O2 this winter. That's money being wasted and years of time to make this fish big. I say if it isn't aerated don't stock it.

Some species would reproduce in these waters. Perch and pike for example. Then you wouldn't have to worry about bucket brigades either. Why should money be spent for just fly fishermen?

They are so worried about catering to the guy that want to eat muddy trout. When tf are they gonna cater to the guy that pours his god damn life into trying to catch one big trout?! Cuz that guy poors a hell of a lot more into the economy and f&g, srd, aca, etc. I don't even want to keep a damn fish just get a photo and put it back for someone else. But I sure as hell hope it's not some smuck that wants to eat it.
Last paragraph, Wow!

No wonder fly fishermen are disliked in general!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:

Attachment 73885

Cheers.
According to your chart our waters should be teeming with big trout and there's no requirement for "quality" fisheries. Afterall, hardly anyone is keeping any fish to eat and most people are practicing C&R......right?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Well tallieho, if SRD gave up on stocking it then I wish you the best of luck in reclaiming it and doing what they did with Muir Lake. Is Trout Unlimited providing support to this endeavor? There didn't seem to be much interest in doing anything with Hasse Lake just west of Edmonton....at least I never heard of any lobbying for it. Otherwise, I would have supported that as well. Anyhow, good luck with it.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
I know of 5 lakes in the Edmonton area alone that have produced 30" trout with consecutive no kill winters. Aeration and Regulation have proven itself.

I can't understand however how some people think that by growing larger fish we are limiting there opportunity??

The majority though have spoken and Mediocrity rules.
As far as I'm aware Muir Lake is the only "quality" lake in the Edmonton area. Are you suggesting that there are 4 other lakes just in the Edmonton area alone that produce big trout and are just regular lakes.......How can that be???? Just kidding of course.

I likely fish one or two of the other four lakes that you are probably referring to (and a couple of others that you're probably not thinking about) and regularly catch +20" trout in them but I've never been fortunate enough to catch something 30". I know that they are likely in there, I just haven't been fortunate enough to catch one.

Mediocrity is relative however to me +20" trout is not mediocre.