Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 01:17 PM

Default Ported Marlin Guide gun in 45-70

Hi guys
What is the typical value of a ported Marlin guide gun in 45-70?
Has the wild west lever tune kit installed(trigger, follower, bear proof extractor)
XS sites, and a nice leather carriage holder.
Bluing is 95% or better
Wood is 90%+ it has a few marks, nothing terrible but it has been carried.
I just never see any of these original ported guide guns for sale, and have no clue how to put a value on it.

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2024, 02:44 PM

I sold mine about a year ago for $1500. It took a month on Gunpost. You see them advertised for more but those ones aren’t selling. Mine was a 2001 model, super smooth action, about 85-90% condition and didn’t have the Wild West stuff. It had a modified loading gate and professionally slicked up 2.5 lb trigger. I had tons of tire kickers and some ridiculous lowball offers. I see 336’s listed for more today, as all prices seem to just keep going up.

I find that add-ons or modifications don’t add much to the sale price (some modifications hurt) and if you have the original parts you may do better selling the add on goodies separately.

I don’t know if the porting really did much other than increase the noise level.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:34 AM

The Magna Porting definitely works to reduce muzzle flip. Didn't really reduce recoil much that I could tell, and I didn't find it nosier when I had my 45-70 done 40 years ago. If Magna Port was still available in Canada I would have it done to any 375 and above, especially shorter barrelled ones.

As to the question at hand, list high and drop it every 30 days or so till it sells. I have seen Marlins sell for 3000 down to 1,400 and I cannot tell why certain ones went so high and others just sit. I know I have one that I would sell, but not for less than $2,200. Lower than that I will just keep it becasue I can't replace one in that shape for much less than that..

Here is the write up, you might find the info useful.

Nearly new. This gun has fired a total of 24 rounds of 45-70 since new. There are no marks in the Bluing or Wood. It is in as new condition but no manual or box. The gun has only been to the range. Includes a Weaver Rail mounted to the receiver that accepts Weaver Quick Detach and cross bolt rings.

Rifle was built Dec 2012, so built after production was moved to Illinois on the new CNC machinery. The later built Remington made ones like this one are far better built guns than the Marlin built JMs that were built the last 5 or so years that Marlin was running out of money and approaching bankruptcy. They are also head and shoulders better than the ones that were built the first 3 years Remington owned them and was trying to build the guns with the old Marlin employees on clapped out machinery.

Remington bought Marlin in December 2007. The Marlin Equipment was so worn out that Remington eventually shut down the Gardner plant at the end of 2008 and in early 2010 finally closed the North Haven plant for the same reason. Both of the old plants were turning out poor to very poor quality guns and Remington was getting the blame for the substandard quality of the "New Remlin" Marlin levers. Remington competently retooled with all new machines, new employees and CNC technology, setting up the new production in Illinois. After that move, the Marlins produced with the MR leading in the serial numbers were markedly better guns and on par with the old JM guns from pre 2002. I own both and have owned a lot of Marlin levers. You do not want to buy a Marlin made between 2002 and 2010 (and only 2010s that are post MR prefix as some 2010s were still made in New Haven) if you can help it.

This one has very good wood to metal fit, has the good cut checkering, feeds and extracts perfectly and shoots exceptionally well. If you can shoot a big bore well this will deliver 3 shot clover leafs at 100 yards.

JM Marlin from the mid 80s

Illinois made Remington

Shooting cast bullets

Old 02-27-2024, 09:16 AM

I won’t put up a price as I may be interested when you list it

Will say that, like primers and powder, the rush is over. Anyone who wanted to throw stupid money around already has. Ruger and Henry are shipping more all the time and the other brands are available.

You also need to list JM or remlin and preferably year of manufacture. Regardless of the individual guns quality, JM commands a higher price. There were some very decent Remlins at the end of their run, but their reputation is tarnished beyond repair.