Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Ive heard from a CO that first offences are really only a slap on the wrist but repeat offenders get hammered with big fines and court dates.

the only way we can help to turn them into repeat offenders is report them!

Even the smallest offence will flag their name and next time their penalty will be large enough to make them think.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Apparently the defendants have "domestic licences". What would be the ethnicity?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
Apparently the defendants have "domestic licences". What would be the ethnicity?
Who cares.

A poacher is a poacher and I hope they get the maximum penalty if they deserve it.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Reason I assume and I know you should never assume, that it is new Canadians is based on past experiences,

when I was guiding I got to know all the local CO's and believe me they had more stories of new Canadians poaching than anyone else. I'm talking about guys coming out of Crawling Valley at 3 in the moring with 150 to 200 fish all sizes all species. Why the hell do you think they put sunrise to sunset times on all the so. reservoirs? Same goes for folks that live in the city in a lake community. Their lakes are just about emptied before they put in limits to try and stop it and that does not help. Friend of mine is the GM at one of the lake communites in Calgary and it is all he can do to keep up to the poaching at a private lake.

So call me racial if you like. I respect all fisherman, if they play by the rules.

If they don't and hide behind the no speaky engli then cry me a river. Dont' give a damn what any liberal do gooder thinks.

And that is all I have to say on that subject.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Give em the max...let all others know we won't tolerate it.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Like others have said, I think they should have their names and faces shown in the news as much as possible so that they can get as much public humiliation as possible. Plus I think they should be getting the full sentence as well.

If they do that BS again, they I think that should at least get double the punishment. It's very interable IMHO that our fisheries have to be destroyed for everyone just because a bunch of greedy F heads want to make a couple bucks for themselves!

When I was little and fishing this small back bush BC lake, there were these A-wipes that had 2 30litre buckets filled to the top with rainbow trout, even though the limit was 5 per person. Anyways, my parents wrote their license plae number down and reported them.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post

When I was little and fishing this small back bush BC lake, there were these A-wipes that had 2 30litre buckets filled to the top with rainbow trout, even though the limit was 5 per person. Anyways, my parents wrote their license plae number down and reported them.
Were they Asian?

Its great that your folks set a good example. Hopefully those trout mongers got burned.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Were they Asian?

Its great that your folks set a good example. Hopefully those trout mongers got burned.
...you like to joke about it but the ones I called into F&W were....does it matter? no.....they were poachers, who also happened to be Asian...

Why is it when someone makes an accurate description of a poacher or thief and they happen to be of a different ethnic group people immediately assume the person filing the report is rascist? I find that peculiar....I don't care what race they are but that will become part of my description if I have to phone something in.....

Here are pics I took of the fish they were hiding in the grass on shore...

Also at the same lake when I went another time 2 white guys (and one was a ginger!) had 3 undersized pike in a bucket.....I talked to them and the fish were still alive.....told them they better get them back in the water before I can dial on my phone....those guys had no idea there was a size or number limit for pike....ignorance is bliss!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-07-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeguy View Post
if you don't want to be accused of racial "profiling", ie racism.

Just don't do it.

I've seen a lot more of your caucasian kin folk poaching in this province than i have any 'new canadians'.

Ignorance is a characteristic of ignorant people, not of any particular race or creed.
x2 !
Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 PM

Well they've been caught and they will get whats due. IMO I think the biggest threat to Alberta's walleye population is the people that pull up beside you when your having a great day fishing and keeping your one walleye that is over 50cm's one time a year, and pulling up net after net of walleyes, laughing at you and your one walleye then drop that net back at the same place and leave. If we want to save our fishery then why dont we attack the root of the problem, instead of wasting our time and money on a ginger that caught a 17" pike who doesnt even know what a pike is. Just my opinion.

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-07-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaire1 View Post
Well they've been caught and they will get whats due. IMO I think the biggest threat to Alberta's walleye population is the people that pull up beside you when your having a great day fishing and keeping your one walleye that is over 50cm's one time a year, and pulling up net after net of walleyes, laughing at you and your one walleye then drop that net back at the same place and leave. If we want to save our fishery then why dont we attack the root of the problem, instead of wasting our time and money on a ginger that caught a 17" pike who doesnt even know what a pike is. Just my opinion.
The small victory is a good one to win too.....those fellas got a free copy of the regs from me to read on their trip home too....

LC

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-07-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Default Poachers

One can only hope that the Judge is angler that fishes some of these lakes and hasn't had a good day fishing for a while. 27 X $100,000.00 Hope it goes back into alberta fisheries and not some gov hideaway
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
...you like to joke about it but the ones I called into F&W were....does it matter? no.....they were poachers, who also happened to be Asian...

Why is it when someone makes an accurate description of a poacher or thief and they happen to be of a different ethnic group people immediately assume the person filing the report is rascist? I find that peculiar....I don't care what race they are but that will become part of my description if I have to phone something in.....

Here are pics I took of the fish they were hiding in the grass on shore...

Also at the same lake when I went another time 2 white guys (and one was a ginger!) had 3 undersized pike in a bucket.....I talked to them and the fish were still alive.....told them they better get them back in the water before I can dial on my phone....those guys had no idea there was a size or number limit for pike....ignorance is bliss!

LC
Why would you treat the white poachers differently than the asian poachers?

A poacher is a poacher is a poacher.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
One can only hope that the Judge is angler that fishes some of these lakes and hasn't had a good day fishing for a while. 27 X $100,000.00 Hope it goes back into alberta fisheries and not some gov hideaway
27 x $100k would certainly set a precedent.

Let's hope they get what they deserve.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Any names or Pictures?
Check out the Alberta Courts Website under Judgements , doesnt look like this case is done , but once a name or 2 is released you can search them and get the offical docket from court .

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/Home/...2/Default.aspx
Old 03-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Why would you treat the white poachers differently than the asian poachers?

A poacher is a poacher is a poacher.
Because the asian guys had dead fish that could not be released.....if the white guys fish were dead they would have got the same treatment....as the guys I called RAP on.

Alternately if the asian guys could have released live fish they would be treated the same as I treated the white guys....everyone deserves a chance IF they can reverse the foul....live fish are easier to release than dead ones right?

It was 2 separate and different circumstances....get it??

1. first instance was 3 asian guys catching fish and kicking them into the grass and hiding them.....

2. second was 2 white guys who were totally clueless and happy to show me the "catch of the day"....3 undersize pike LIVE in a bucket of water....

YOU made it about race not me....and thats my point....

LC
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
x2
X3

Troller, take a flying "you know what" and please do not return.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

I see your point.

For the other guys who seem to think that 'new Chttp://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1335972#post1335972anadians' are responsible for the majority of poaching in this and other provinces,

take a look at this website, examine the cases, and realize that yer good'ol white boys are responsible for more poaching than any other ethnicity.

So, next time you hear about someone poaching, make sure you ask first thing, "OMG were they WHITE?"

and then reply, "OMG I KNEW IT!"

Western Canadian Game Warden

Read the 'Cuffs to Courts' articles where they spot light significant poaching cases.

Last edited by BeeGuy; 03-07-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: homonyms are hard
Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM

P.S. No wonder I can't catch those whites this year, they been fished out ....but sad for sure
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM

I think honestly the stereotypes out there is what has people more closely watching the "new canadians" than watching the "old canadians".

.....poachers come in all shapes, colours, and sizes....not that people need to be nosey but be vigilant and keep an eye out for suspicious activity....

At the same lake there was a lady and 2 kids casting from shore 1 week before it opened....I pulled in there and mentioned nicely to them that they had to wait one more week to fish legally. She was grateful that I stopped and filled them in again she had no idea about the regs or season dates....they left with a free copy of the regs too

LC
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think honestly the stereotypes out there is what has people more closely watching the "new canadians" than watching the "old canadians".

.....poachers come in all shapes, colours, and sizes....not that people need to be nosey but be vigilant and keep an eye out for suspicious activity....

At the same lake there was a lady and 2 kids casting from shore 1 week before it opened....I pulled in there and mentioned nicely to them that they had to wait one more week to fish legally. She was grateful that I stopped and filled them in again she had no idea about the regs or season dates....they left with a free copy of the regs too

LC
That's great. Some people just want to "wet a line" and often have no idea there are so many regulations, seasons, permitting etc etc etc

A friendly reminder is all it takes for most.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well then, I hope for the sake of assumptions, that these 27 poachers turn out to be asian.

Charges have been laid, so their names should be available to those that would like to confirm their suspicions before throwing around wild accusations.
Someone should tell that idiot neil waugh that.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
I don't follow you. Could you clarify?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I don't follow you. Could you clarify?
Seems to me he is blaming a certain ethnicity with no proof
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Seems to me he is blaming a certain ethnicity with no proof
Do you have a link?

It's not in this thread is it?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link?

It's not in this thread is it?
go back and read his post
Old 03-07-2012, 07:56 PM

They should be charged @ the max penalty awarded that would set as an example to all other stupid people who are doing the same thing, i hope i run into a few poaches this year, i have r.a.p on speed dial and ready to go
Old 03-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
X2, lol
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Guys let's not get the racial thing going again, everybody in the fishing community should be happy that this case of trafficking has been put to a halt. Let's celebrate this together and not wreck another thread!
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Cool

Poachers were caught and charges laid, that's what I like to hear!