Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:51 PM

Default What do you do with 30 6" trout?

Just sitting at the pond watching 3 people and 6 kids, (of no race or ethnicity) filling up a stringer of trout, ALL of which are smaller than my big pike lures... At least 30 fish on there so far.... Makes me mad, but legal I guess. What happens to the fish? One mouthfull of meat out of each? Eat other parts too? Just seems so wastefull...

Last edited by bloopbloob; 06-23-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

i see it all the time. it does make me angry as they're really not big enough to eat. they,ll probably do it again tomorrow and so on.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:05 PM

You make popcorn fish! One bite a fillit
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Gone Hunting

double tap

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Gone Hunting

You're just too fussy. Of course it all gets eaten.

Sardines are eaten with the head and guts still attached, what makes trout so special?

As long as the mother fish isn't watching, where's the harm?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Banned

I guess you would bake a potato as the main course and deep fry the dinker triout like french fries,,, sort of a reverse on tradiitiional fish and chips.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Honest question, do some people eat the whole thing? That would make a little more sense to me for them to keep them. If it's just the flesh, then it's such a waste.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
I guess you would bake a potato as the main course and deep fry the dinker triout like french fries,,, sort of a reverse on tradiitiional fish and chips.
MMMM, you just reminded me that I have some left over potatos and a fresh walleye in the fridge. Havnt eaten supper yet and I was concidering just eating a bag of chips tonight but I think I've changed my mind.

I once watched an asian guy eat a pike on the bank of Coal lake. He caught it and threw the whole pike directly into a fire that he had going without gutting in. No word of a lie he then proceded to eat it using two slurpey straws as chopsticks... crazy.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Honest question, do some people eat the whole thing? That would make a little more sense to me for them to keep them. If it's just the flesh, then it's such a waste.
When I was a lad in a land far from here, people from the U.S. would come to fish. They kept everything from a few inches on up. Any species including trash fish caught at the sewer outfalls. At that time the city had NO sewage treatment.

I asked about the fate of the fish and was told they were scaled or skinned [catfish] , beheaded, and boiled with onions. after ten minutes or so the pot was put through a strainer/colander and the larger obvious bones were fished out { see what I did there} and the fish was mixed with mashed potatoes and diced green onions and made into fish cakes that were fried in a pan of oil/butter.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
When I was a lad in a land far from here, people from the U.S. would come to fish. They kept everything from a few inches on up. Any species including trash fish caught at the sewer outfalls. At that time the city had NO sewage treatment.

I asked about the fate of the fish and was told they were scaled or skinned [catfish] , beheaded, and boiled with onions. after ten minutes or so the pot was put through a strainer/colander and the larger obvious bones were fished out { see what I did there} and the fish was mixed with mashed potatoes and diced green onions and made into fish cakes that were fried in a pan of oil/butter.
I'll bet bamboo poles were involved..
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
Haha I know you're not referring to my post, but on that note, these guys have no rods, their line is tied to sticks, and throwing their bait out like a rodeo roper
Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 PM

I guess thats why you need 30 of em....for 1 meal?

Let me guess there are 30 trout, so that means there are 6 individual anglers each with their own gear, each has their own rod, and they each caught and kept only the five per person they were allowed?

LC
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Why SonnyJ have you been reading my mail?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Haha I know you're not referring to my post, but on that note, these guys have no rods, their line is tied to sticks, and throwing their bait out like a rodeo roper
Well there is a rodeo in Wainwright this weekend.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Why SonnyJ have you been reading my mail?
Nah....but I seen it myself..

A 12 foot long bamboo pole with a big ole' bobber equals a bucket full of bluegill,crappie,pumpkinseeds and anything else that will bite the hook..
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I guess thats why you need 30 of em....for 1 meal?

Let me guess there are 30 trout, so that means there are 6 individual anglers each with their own gear, each has their own rod, and they each caught and kept only the five per person they were allowed?

LC
My first count was off, 3 adult men fishing, 4 little girls running around. Was hard to keep track but got it figured out now. Limit of 5 here... So they can claim them as the kids i'm sure. Wish i could call RAP, but doubt it would do any good. Sad part is that this pond is aerated now, so if it wasn't pillaged, there could be some decent fish overwintering....

And a bird just pooped on my shoulder. Twice!! Just realized it was sitting on a wire above me!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
My first count was off, 3 adult men fishing, 4 little girls running around. Was hard to keep track but got it figured out now. Limit of 5 here... So they can claim them as the kids i'm sure. Wish i could call RAP, but doubt it would do any good. Sad part is that this pond is aerated now, so if it wasn't pillaged, there could be some decent fish overwintering....

And a bird just pooped on my shoulder. Twice!! Just realized it was sitting on a wire above me!
....there you go!

I have seen it a billion times....Dads fishing and claiming the kids limits. Even though the kids never touch the rod all day.....it is shameful actually.

When out in the boat fishing and my Son doesn't feel like fishing anymore we actuall reel in his line and put his rod away. Some of us try to teach our kids the "right" way....I think people like you mentioned would just leave as many rods out as possible and claim the fish and limit fpor all present fishing or not....

LC
Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

A 12 foot long bamboo pole with a big ole' bobber equals a bucket full of bluegill,crappie,pumpkinseeds and anything else that will bite the hook..
We had perch and rock bass and lots of carp and suckers.

That was the first time I saw someone open a can of what looked like little fingers and proceed to eat them. I was 5 or 6 and the can contained cocktail weiners. EeEEEEEuuuWWW!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

Fished like that plenty of times while visiting my grandparents in Michigan. Now thats fishing in its purest form IMO, even if you happen to be using a spinning rod its usualy just some hooks and a bobber or maby a handfull of mepps spinners. No tackle trunks stuffed with the latest and greatest, just enjoying the afternoon and getting a meal out of it, miss that sometimes.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM

If they are fishing illegally - Take some pictures (including the license plate) and call fisheries.

I have no problem making someone pay for lack of reading OR GREED/Disregard.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:56 PM

yep will be eaten and enjoyed

plus its legal.. i at least call my kids;;

in the national park i bought them liciences = two fish

a trophy fish is in the eyes of the holder size means nothing

i have np with those anglers

David
Old 06-23-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Just sitting at the pond watching 3 people and 6 kids, (of no race or ethnicity) filling up a stringer of trout, ALL of which are smaller than my big pike lures... At least 30 fish on there so far.... Makes me mad, but legal I guess. What happens to the fish? One mouthfull of meat out of each? Eat other parts too? Just seems so wastefull...
maybe its time to look for a new fishin hole ?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
maybe its time to look for a new fishin hole ?
It is technically (with a stretch) legal. Just not something I enjoy seeing. That's all. Just sharing my frustration. Wish it wasn't this way, but sadly it is.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Who cares if they keep their limit.

Those stockers are going to get fished out anyways. Who cares who does it. A family of 10 is what they're their for. Sounds like the family is having a great day.

Why are you fishin a stocked pond anyways?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Who cares if they keep their limit.

Those stockers are going to get fished out anyways. Who cares who does it. A family of 10 is what they're their for. Sounds like the family is having a great day.

Why are you fishin a stocked pond anyways?
Yes, They can keep them. That many, legally? No. the kids weren't fishing. But try proving that.... My main question is what happens to fish that small when people keep them? Honest question. And as for why I was fishing a stocked pond, I enjoy being outdoors, and fishing.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 AM

30 fishes 6" long eh? let me guess... these guys were asians!!! no i'm not racist, i'm asian myself... n no i would not do such things... but i know asians would do things like that then claim they speak no english n did not know of such laws.... blah blah blah... as for what they are gonna do with fish that small?? i would guess fish soup?....
Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Everybody has a race or certain ethnicity whether or not you want to admit it... Pretty sad you can't even call it what it is anymore without being slandered as a "racist".. An ace is an ace and a spade is a spade is it not?!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, They can keep them. That many, legally? No. the kids weren't fishing. But try proving that.... My main question is what happens to fish that small when people keep them? Honest question. And as for why I was fishing a stocked pond, I enjoy being outdoors, and fishing.
I quite often use smaller fish for a luncheon of poached trout. Or I pickle or smoke them. Not everything has to be super man-sized to be considered edible.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Banned

Trying to tell me these people were transparent?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM

Im assuming it is a stalked lake..........Id rather they didnt fish at all but since they do fish I guess id rather see them run off with sacs full of stalked trout rather than pillage our native ralley and rightfish pops.