Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Banned

We used to fish west of okotoks years back with the fly rod , caught a bucket full of trout on a black knat fly , most were 6 to 9 inches , fried all up on the spot in a big 20 in skillit , man you never tasted anything that good.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
And a bird just pooped on my shoulder. Twice!! Just realized it was sitting on a wire above me!
You'll have to change your user name.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM

Default stocked trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Who cares if they keep their limit.

Those stockers are going to get fished out anyways. Who cares who does it. A family of 10 is what they're their for. Sounds like the family is having a great day.

Why are you fishin a stocked pond anyways?

Taxes and fishing license fees pay for stocking (and some monies from other areas and groups). If they want to catch and eat small trout why not? As Beeguy says thats what those fisheries are about. They are often called "put and take" lakes.

I am hoping to do some culling of Brook trout for the supression program on some small streams to reduce this exotic species numbers and I will eat every one of those little tasty guys and I'm sure many of them will be small. Whats wrong with eating small fish???
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM

If those put and take trout are there to be fished out every year why even have rules and regs to govern those water bodies?

Allow barbs, don't have a limit, don't need a license, then all us folks who follow the rules and have kids who fish and still follow the rules would not complain so much.....

I would prefer they be C&R and then at some point down the road a guy could hammer a 6-7 lb plus rainbow in his back yard (so to speak).....thats more fun than catching 20X 6 inch fish.....to me anyhow.

If you don't want C&R then put in a size limit of 18 inches or over.....size limits would have little effect..... alot of people couldn't be bothered to bring a tape measure to check the length anyways.....

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If those put and take trout are there to be fished out every year why even have rules and regs to govern those water bodies?

Allow barbs, don't have a limit, don't need a license, then all us folks who follow the rules and have kids who fish and still follow the rules would not complain so much.....

I would prefer they be C&R and then at some point down the road a guy could hammer a 6-7 lb plus rainbow in his back yard (so to speak).....thats more fun than catching 20X 6 inch fish.....to me anyhow.

LC
I 100% agree. If you don't govern these bodies it would be short of throwing a stick of dynamite and let everyone have a free for all, and then it's done. I have no issues with people taking "their own honest limit" it just would be nice if some of these fish can live a couple years. I remember the 6-7 lb catches alot more than the 20x 6 inch fish.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM

myself..... I get no satisfaction of fishing ponds/dugouts where a water truck rolls up and dumps a bunch of trout into it....... my kids like it though.... on the flip side there is probably 1000 dugouts within an hour drive of where you live and atleast half the owners would have no prob if you dumped some trout in their dugout and took the kids out to catch them, and its actually cheaper than you would think.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 AM

I would like to see a system in place where somehow you pay for the fish you keep on top of a license. Alberta and especially down south has very few trout lakes, and to put fish in and have them caught a week later and cooked up makes no sense. Whether through allotments or tags whatever, but the fish are not free and cost to put in, kids are never to young to start thinking about conservation and there are naturally reproducing species that they can fish and keep to their hearts content. I understand this is a fish pond and I'm speaking more about lakes, but even ponds can only take so much fish removal. I don't get it, a limited resource and you keep it all and wish you could catch fish for the rest of the year? I think Albertans need a bit of a wake up on how good a fishing we could enjoy if we didn't treat it like a food source, which it can't be for all the people involved. I was talking to the Survey Team leader at Bullshead and she was surprised at how few people keep legal trout out of the lake, but that's what makes it great, if everyone kept every legal trout they could it would not take long to get them all because of the pressure. For quality fishing we need to make some changes, there are just not enough lakes in Alberta to go around.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Don't confuse put and take ponds or dugouts with lake or river fishing.
The stocked put and take are there for a specific user group. they aren't meant to be managed as trophy fishery.

They can be used as classrooms for grandpas to teach grand kids the fine art of angling without being run over by a sea doo or water skier. There's a good chance of success and nothing gets kids hooked more than catching fish. you can show c/R methods or fire the BBQ.

I'm sure there are some seniors who enjoy a couple fried trout once in awhile. Maintaining a boat and going every weekend may not be a possibility for them. The ponds/dugouts offer a safe place to teach youngsters

They should be restricted to under 16 or over 65.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 AM

From the read, I'm sure BloopBloob does realize the put-n-take functionality of the pond he's observing on. Plus he also realize the grey moral area existing where people are keeping limits from non participating members of their group. This thread was probably started as a rant, nothing much otherwise. Kudos to him for steering away from any race comment.

However, some can't resists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishing View Post
30 fishes 6" long eh? let me guess... these guys were asians!!! no i'm not racist, i'm asian myself... n no i would not do such things... but i know asians would do things like that then claim they speak no english n did not know of such laws.... blah blah blah... as for what they are gonna do with fish that small?? i would guess fish soup?....
Just a friendly reminder to New2Fishing, there's no need to apologize for your Asian community, as most of us do realize that each person is responsible for his own action, no matter skin color or creed. Internalized Racism is just as damaging to a culture, I'd venture to say even more so than your typical "he's not the same" racism.

Back on to topic: The point of contention is that not everyone is fishing, although those who are actively fishing is keeping everyone's catch allowance. I hate seeing that too. So until the fishing regulations take that into account and rectify it, we'll share our sympathy for an abused resource.

Tight lines, ladies and gents.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Don't confuse put and take ponds or dugouts with lake or river fishing.
The stocked put and take are there for a specific user group. they aren't meant to be managed as trophy fishery.

They can be used as classrooms for grandpas to teach grand kids the fine art of angling without being run over by a sea doo or water skier. There's a good chance of success and nothing gets kids hooked more than catching fish. you can show c/R methods or fire the BBQ.

I'm sure there are some seniors who enjoy a couple fried trout once in awhile. Maintaining a boat and going every weekend may not be a possibility for them. The ponds/dugouts offer a safe place to teach youngsters

They should be restricted to under 16 or over 65.
I realize this Red but, these little ponds only have so many fish too. So the family takes 30 and another family takes there limit etc. By Aug. this little fishing hole is fished out, and if everyone had shown a little restraint the little people could be enjoying a fishing hole right through summer holidays.
Nothing turns kids off more than no action, which by Aug. will be the rule as things are going now. I don't know maybe reduce the limit to two or three?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

The regs have already taken it into account. It is illegal to take someone else's limit. They are poachers. It's no more difficult than that.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

I have to agree with Lefty on this one, sure those ponds are great places to take kids fishing close to home, but should one family be entitled to as many as they can catch?

What about the familes that obey the rules and regs? Should they be left to fish for the few straglers left behind by the familes who are teaching THEIR OWN CHILDREN how to circumvent the system?

The law CLEARLY states that there is a limit of 5fish/ANGLER, NO WHERE does it state that there is a limit of 5fish/NON ANGLING FAMILY MEMBERS.

I have ZERO problem with anglers keeping their regulated limits, i have a major problem with familes who teach their children how to poach.

Being a parent grants you no special rights to poach fish for dinner. In fact i would argue that parents have the greatest responsibility of all to teach their children the proper and legal way to fish, anything short of that is FAILED parenting plain and simple.

if one family can fish by the rules who the hell are you to teach your offspring that breaking the law is OK because daddy does it?

Marikos point is valid, imagine these horrible familes fishing out the Crow, the Livingston, the Highwood and the Sheep...RAP is invaluable if you want to have fishing opportunities past the immediate future.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 AM

As for the race card I'm from SE Ab. and from what I see the problem is Sr's not "Asians". Bucket brigade, I swear some don't even enjoy fishing. Pulled up to Cavan one day in the early spring about 10 in the morning and met two old timmers hauling out there 20ltr pails. Looks like the fishing is good I said, yup we got our limit. Your leaving already?, yup we got our limit. So at most they got in a couple of hours and I have to think they were fishing for food as the fish were still bitting like crazy. Had another couple old timers stop me when I was getting dressed at Bullshead, they pulled into the parking lot and asked how the fishing was, I said I don't know haven't been out yet. We were at Michelle, oh yah and how'd you make out?, big smile, got our limit. Oh yeah, nice fish?, pan fries, want to see? Ok, now it's my turn to smile, pan fries is right. They then asked if I catch much at Bullshead and I told them ya, some days are good, some days I suck. lol They asked about the size and I told them, the one guy says, seems a waste of time if you can't keep them. Ya, some days I waste a whole day here.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike_king780 View Post
Everybody has a race or certain ethnicity whether or not you want to admit it... Pretty sad you can't even call it what it is anymore without being slandered as a "racist".. An ace is an ace and a spade is a spade is it not?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Trying to tell me these people were transparent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod View Post
Im assuming it is a stalked lake..........Id rather they didnt fish at all but since they do fish I guess id rather see them run off with sacs full of stalked trout rather than pillage our native ralley and rightfish pops.
Oh hey guys, there's a really interesting forum here where you'll find a lot of like minded people.

Link
Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Piker we are on the same page when it comes to the group hauling fish out of these ponds.
Charge them and make it less cost effective.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mariko's Rod
Im assuming it is a stalked lake..........Id rather they didnt fish at all but since they do fish I guess id rather see them run off with sacs full of stalked trout rather than pillage our native ralley and rightfish pops.

Translation? google can't make it out either.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:10 PM

I see it often here in Ontario with out of season eyes and bass.
And during the season they have NO respect on limits or size.....
Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snortwheez View Post
I see it often here in Ontario with out of season eyes and bass.
And during the season they have NO respect on limits or size.....
You're not talking about Henry and Italo are you?

God bless,

beeguy
Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Oh hey guys, there's a really interesting forum here where you'll find a lot of like minded people.

Link
Stop being so raciallly sensitive, if a white guy was doing it, I'd say a white guy is doing it, if a african is doing it I'd say an african is doing it, if an asian is doing it than I'd say its an asian, etc... Again! call it what it is.. That's not racism. That's fact..
Old 06-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Stop being so raciallly sensitive, if a white guy was doing it, I'd say a white guy is doing it, if a african is doing it I'd say an african is doing it, if an asian is ing it than I'd say its an asian... Again! call it what it is.. That's not racism. That's fact..
Stop being racially insensitive.

You don't realize that someones race has nothing to do with being a poacher.

A poacher is a poacher is a poacher.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Stop being so raciallly sensitive, if a white guy was doing it, I'd say a white guy is doing it, if a african is doing it I'd say an african is doing it, if an asian is ing it than I'd say its an asian... Again! call it what it is.. That's not racism. That's fact..
What differance does it make what the guys color is? Why not say a red shirted guy was doing it, come to think of it most guys I see that look a little dodgy all wear the baseball caps with the name of a feed co. on the front and all mesh in the back, ya that's them.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

exactly
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I'd rather e called an Asian than a poacher,

BTW these threads like the put and take ponds are kind of small for trolling.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Yah ok... I must be a crazy wicked "aryan guard" because I mentioned one thing about race, no I didn't slander the asians, africans, or any other race but heaven forbid anybody mention factually, respectfully anything about someones race.. If one of my fellow "aryans" as you stereotype us was poaching than I'd say the white guy was poaching, cmon people.. If I said ya those damn asians always are poaching maybe you'd have a legitimate arguement as that being racist. But my comments were in no way shape or form directed at any particular race or stereotyping any race either..
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM

if you are reporting a poacher on the hotline would you leave out his race? probably not...... it does have bearing in a description....
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:

I think people take things the wrong way....

BG lets say you saw someone poaching and they were white guys with baggy pants and a knicks hat on sideways wearing glasses....you make a call to RAP.

How would you describe the perps?

What pike_king780 is saying that if you leave out race or colour or looks or what the person is wearing or other details.....then your description of the perps is less than accurate.

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You're not talking about Henry and Italo are you?

God bless,

beeguy
LOL!
Italo does fish in this area from time to time....
Old 06-24-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think people take things the wrong way....

BG lets say you saw someone poaching and they were white guys with baggy pants and a knicks hat on sideways wearing glasses....you make a call to RAP.

How would you describe the perps?

What pike_king780 is saying that if you leave out race or colour or looks or what the person is wearing or other details.....then your description of the perps is less than accurate.

LC
THANK YOU p-pat and lefty, finally someone gets what I saying.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'd rather e called an Asian than a poacher,

BTW these threads like the put and take ponds are kind of small for trolling.
Nope a 9' fly rod with a little spinner on it, hold it out over the pond and start walking circles. lol Seriously, I read an article somewhere years ago, Infisherman I think, about this. Guys were fishing a dam face for spawning walleye, the dam was cement but had ledges on it, so the guys would pull out the correct amount of line and walk the dam trolling.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Nope a 9' fly rod with a little spinner on it, hold it out over the pond and start walking circles. lol Seriously, I read an article somewhere years ago, Infisherman I think, about this. Guys were fishing a dam face for spawning walleye, the dam was cement but had ledges on it, so the guys would pull out the correct amount of line and walk the dam trolling.
used to do that as kids in my hometown of manning when the water levels were low at the weir.
Closed Thread