Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM
pelada trochu

Default Goodbye Sylvan Lake Marina

Apparently big condo development is going in. will still have a marina but will be private and surrounded by the new condo's.

they agreed to maintain a public launch. Not sure how much that will cost but you wont be able to park your vehicle and trailer. there will be zero parking allowed. just for the condo's and for marina slip holders (of which parking will be reduced for them too).

Guess you will have to drive around sylvan lake town and find 2 empty parking spaces and then parallel park your trailer.

im not sure if it makes life better for us visiting/local boaters or for non-boaters for that matter.

What do you guys think???

send these nice folks (council) your thoughts

lasselstine@sylvanlake.ca
rgrimson@sylvanlake.ca
smcintyre@sylvanlake.ca
kmacvicar@sylvanlake.ca
gparsons@sylvanlake.ca
dplante@sylvanlake.ca

Last edited by pelada trochu; 04-18-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 AM

Who agreed to maintaining a public launch? And where? BEL
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM

Default Marina

doesnt surprise me, I got a cabin in Half Moon Bay, the city council and the county are all a bunch of dunderheads. Over-development around the lake is turning it into a swamp. you can launch from Half Moon bay road but on a weekend parking and congestion is as bad as town!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM

Anyone know if this is for the 'Marina Bay' section or the actual privately owned Marina (one with the lighthouse)?

I would assume Marina Bay?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM
pelada trochu

The one next to watersides. Im sure it will be a beautiful development. But it will suck to lose the day use for launching. Or should I say parking. They are kind of the same to me.

Last edited by pelada trochu; 04-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Another sell out from town council

I just finished emailing our fine town council members on the great job of selling us out to big developers!

Nothing is sacred in this town anymore, why dont they built there stupid condos on that wonderfull abandoned parkade they have on mainstreet!

nothing gets done about that, but lets get rid of the busiest and most used marina in Alberta and plug up the streets all around with boat trailers!

They need to pull their heads out of the @#ses and look at what this will do for bringing people to the lake. Plus lossing even more scenic views of the lake, i'm just glad most of the lake front in town is provincial and cannot be developed or they would have them sold as condos as well.

my rant for the day!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

sylvan lake aka hell on earth
Old 04-19-2012, 04:21 PM

recieved a reply from one of the council members, looks like final approval will be voted in on monday april 23.

Please email and let them know how you feel about this project! Every email counts! If we don't stand up for whats good for the lake, we will let them do as they please!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 PM

Which one did you email? What was the response? I get the impression this is a done deal already in the correspondence I have had.

Glad they want the town to become a Parking Lot for the lake...clowns.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
Which one did you email? What was the response? I get the impression this is a done deal already in the correspondence I have had.

Glad they want the town to become a Parking Lot for the lake...clowns.

Sean Mcintyre replied back, he is one of the council members who has voted against it.

I'm trying to see if mondays meeting is open to public, if it is i will be there to speek my mind!

i have emailed about six different council members about this issue.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 PM

it wont be long before you drive around the lake and just see 5 story buildings. They ought to rip out the slides and build a really nice marina instead.

I just emailed the mayor. Apparently there is still time to kill it! Send them your opinions. Maybe we will get lucky.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post
Sean Mcintyre replied back, he is one of the council members who has voted against it.

I'm trying to see if mondays meeting is open to public, if it is i will be there to speek my mind!

Awesome! I'll send my comments to him as well.

Cheers.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM

Council meeting is open but you probably won't be able to speak unless you arrange it before hand. Best thing to do is email the council and mayor. BEL
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM

Buddy of mine in sylvan told me slides are already coming out any truth too this.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning375 View Post

I just got a reply from Sean as well.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM

There is an open discussion at 5:30 sharp at toen hall on the issue. Each person has 5 minutes to express their concerns.

I can't state this enough to people how improtant it is to stand up a say something about this. This will have an impact on every fisherman that enjoys sylvan. Just imagine how busy its going to be at every other boat launch around sylvan. Without that marina and parking, you won't be able to get on the water at all on a weekend!

there will be fifty boats trying to launch and park at half moon bay!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM

Default Marina Development Proposal

Hi everyone- great to see such enthusiasm about the community's well being. Just wanted to post some details about the proposed development. Currently the marina as it stands, needs structural attention to address safety issues associated with age and wear/tear that sort of thing. The current property owner (keep in mind this IS private property and a local developer), is proposing a 40 unit (phase 1, phase 2 would include a 15 unit residential and commercial), residential condo that would help offset costs associated with the Marina reno. The condo location is drawn up in a way that it would run perpendicular to the lake and frames a view of the water for the public to still enjoy. A public walking path is proposed and the developer has agreed to offer public boat launch access as well as 6 mooring slips.

We would love to see you there for open mike on April 23, at 5:30. Each individual would get 5 minutes to address Council. We would advise that anyone interested in attending and addressing Council research the proposal and know your facts! You can contact our Planning and Development Department at 403-887-2141.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Wow! 6 mooring slips! Really? what does that do for the public? Project still leave boaters parking in the streets doesn't it?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Hi Browning

There is parking, though there is concern that on site- perhaps on those few glorious summer days, parking may be tight, which is why the developer will be paying in lieu to the Town of Sylvan Lake, for the Town to create adequate parking. Town staff has shown great confidence that they can provide appropriate parking for public day use. In the meantime, the proposal offers 42 surface stalls for public usage.

I should clarify that a number of slips will still be available to be publicly rented out from the marina- the mooring slips and public access reference was as it applies to those who show up for the day, boat, and then move on. The Marina will have 179 slips in total, only one less than is current. While the condos will each have their own associated slip (55), the rest are open for public rental.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake View Post
There is parking, though there is concern that on site- perhaps on those few glorious summer days, parking may be tight, which is why the developer will be paying in lieu to the Town of Sylvan Lake, for the Town to create adequate parking. Town staff has shown great confidence that they can provide appropriate parking for public day use. In the meantime, the proposal offers 42 surface stalls for public usage.

I should clarify that a number of slips will still be available to be publicly rented out from the marina- the mooring slips and public access reference was as it applies to those who show up for the day, boat, and then move on. The Marina will have 179 slips in total, only one less than is current. While the condos will each have their own associated slip (55), the rest are open for public rental.
Thank you for posting and recognizing concerns of the Sportsmen of Sylvan. I for one appreciate it. Is there an online resource as well where one could research the proposal prior to the open session?

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:57 AM

Default Online Resources

We DID hold a public open house a couple of weeks ago, and I appologize if you missed that. We had a fair turn out of about 40 individuals from the Town- most with positive feedback actually. As for online info. all I can offer you is what Council received for Information on the Project for the April 4 Council Meeting found here:

https://sylvanlake.civicweb.net/Docu....aspx?ID=15632

I would like to be clear that Open Mike during Council is restricted to 5 minutes and this is not an opportunity to aski questions, only to present your position.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Buddy of mine in sylvan told me slides are already coming out any truth too this.
Knowing the owner personally, I'd say that's incorrect at this time. The Owner of the slides Owns the Chateu adjacent, Smuggler's restaraunt, and the Best Western across the street)
Old 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
We DID hold a public open house a couple of weeks ago, and I appologize if you missed that. We had a fair turn out of about 40 individuals from the Town- most with positive feedback actually. As for online info. all I can offer you is what Council received for Information on the Project for the April 4 Council Meeting found here:

I would like to be clear that Open Mike during Council is restricted to 5 minutes and this is not an opportunity to aski questions, only to present your position.
Understood, thank you for the link. I look forward to sharing my views with council and my fellow residents of Sylvan Lake.

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM

Just read up on this a bit, and it clearly states there will be NO ROOM FOR TRUCK AND TRAILER PARKING ON SITE! So WTF? how do you run a marina without providing a place to park after you launch?

The parking they mention is for single vehicles, which tells me there are going to be people parking miles away with there boat trailers.Sounds great to me!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

thanks for taking the time to put your spin on this.... most people liked something about it.... 42 surface stalls (forgot to mention they are for cars designated to visit the businesses of phase 2. forgot to mention how many are handicapped only. forgot to mention that the town bylaws had to be amended last summer to allow this commercial/private dwelling use in this area.

please i dare you explain why this makes life better for visiting/local day use boaters and the town of sylvan.

please provide numbers on the total day use from previous years.

have any studies been done to determine what percentage of boaters are impacted?

there are way more boaters who are day use than the 180 current slips.

i know this marina and on a busy summer day its full with no parking. i bet thats near 200 day users.

even if you consider the marginal use of even say 15 truck and trailer users its still 100% negative to those casual users during off peak periods.

the town admits this site is 91 stall deficient as a development and they are giving a relaxation of 66 and developer paying 5500 each for the remaining 25

this is a joke. a 30% bigger marina with 18.7m buildings no parking but it has a trail on it. where? to the bathroom!

also 6 stalls public marked. this is where you sit while you wait for your truck and trailer. the submitted document explains this is for friends of the condo owners who come from other areas of the lake to have a visit. not even for day users.

what about public safety. how do you get off the lake in a storm. with only room for 6 boats in there. what about public property protection. how long is it to access your vehicle when your in a storm. how do you get backed up when its jammed with boats and yours is out in the lake. on and on and on.

please i dare you explain why this is a good thing!!!

i bet 2 years after this is done there will be a big new marina planned to take up more lake space, pollute the waters and encroach on the public beach area. thanks for wrecking our lake.

Last edited by fish_fan; 04-20-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:

so after reviewing the proposal that you received on april 4. your about to approve it after 2 weeks!!!

"the objectives in the ARP for this area include preserving the views to and from the lake, maintaining and increasing public access to the lake, protecting the quality of the natural environment and improving the pedestrian environment and connectivity within the district to other parts of the town. The plan also specifies the importance of maintaining the marina as a use in the area as well as improving the public access along the waterfront, including trail development as a condition of redevelopment. A 30m setback from the high water mark is also a requirement of the ARP." quoted from the submission to the town.

i reviewed the document and it is short 91 parking stalls for use of the marina alone. This completely illiminates all parking for day use users. It also allows only 42 stalls for 133 marina slips. or less than 30% useage at any time.

it clearly doesnt maintain and certainly comes nowhere to increasing public access. its a clear no vote in my opinion
that is a quote from the submission. tell me how the above isnt violated???

Last edited by fish_fan; 04-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM

Well put fish Fan! It's amazing how they can get this far with the parking issue?

I remember the hassel i had when i was applying for my business permitt, and i had plenty of parking available, but still had to have a detailed plan on it and illistrate to them dimensions and usage! If i did not have propper parking then i was going to be denied my business liscence.

Proves to me money makes issue go away!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM

Anyone going to the town meeting tonight?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM

Do you have to arrange prior to arrive a 5 minute talk time? At this point im unable to attend.

Pertinent info includes:
reduction of 52.5% in the number of slips available for public rental after this development

reduction of 100% in the number of parking slots available for day users both truck and trailer or vehicle only.

failure to maintain a 30m setback on the east side of the property (6m) from the water. Questions remain about what the highwater mark should be.

parking is relaxed as 55 slips are intended to be assigned to the condo owners. it remains to be see that since 55 slips are not available to the public then the above reduction of 52.5% access applies.

if the 55 slips may not be used by the condo owners as they are quoting 173 rental slips available after development, then the parking should be added back into the calculations of the number of spaces they are deficient. which is it? 173 - 42 = 131 stalls short. They are also short all stalls required for the business use which hasnt been identified at this time.

it should be turned down based on the incomplete information submitted stating what the required parking will be once development is completed.

there is also a mixed commercial residential phase 2 development which requires parking of which 24 underground stalls are held back. This means that surface parking will come out of the 42 stalls available after development for total marina use and for the commercial use of which a restaurant is planned (they usually use lots of parking). so we really have 42 parking stalls available for 118 rentable slips, and all business use which isnt considered in this application (wonder why). it states there will be shared parking for those buisnesses.

its not possible to share parking between summer and winter uses as its not operating a marina business in winter so the total parking required should always be applied.

the buildings occupy space. thus sight lines to the lake will be impacted.

please someone show up and have this development cancelled. it goes against the ARP in my opinion.

browning are you speaking there?
bwackrabbit how about you?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_fan View Post
Do you have to arrange prior to arrive a 5 minute talk time? At this point im unable to attend.

Pertinent info includes:
reduction of 52.5% in the number of slips available for public rental after this development

reduction of 100% in the number of parking slots available for day users both truck and trailer or vehicle only.

failure to maintain a 30m setback on the east side of the property (6m) from the water. Questions remain about what the highwater mark should be.

parking is relaxed as 55 slips are intended to be assigned to the condo owners. it remains to be see that since 55 slips are not available to the public then the above reduction of 52.5% access applies.

if the 55 slips may not be used by the condo owners as they are quoting 173 rental slips available after development, then the parking should be added back into the calculations of the number of spaces they are deficient. which is it? 173 - 42 = 131 stalls short. They are also short all stalls required for the business use which hasnt been identified at this time.

it should be turned down based on the incomplete information submitted stating what the required parking will be once development is completed.

there is also a mixed commercial residential phase 2 development which requires parking of which 24 underground stalls are held back. This means that surface parking will come out of the 42 stalls available after development for total marina use and for the commercial use of which a restaurant is planned (they usually use lots of parking). so we really have 42 parking stalls available for 118 rentable slips, and all business use which isnt considered in this application (wonder why). it states there will be shared parking for those buisnesses.

its not possible to share parking between summer and winter uses as its not operating a marina business in winter so the total parking required should always be applied.

the buildings occupy space. thus sight lines to the lake will be impacted.

please someone show up and have this development cancelled. it goes against the ARP in my opinion.

browning are you speaking there?
bwackrabbit how about you?

i'm trying to, but its the wife's birthday today, and i'm thinking she won't like spending it in town hall. i'll hopefully make there early to speak than have to take off and take momma out for dinner.