Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Endangering others by DUI is morally unacceptable and offensive, but endangering others ice fishing is not? Personally I don't see a difference, they both can kill and injure.

As to putting your 3/4 ton on 13" of ice for 5 hours, knock yourself out, it's your truck. I'm curious to know at what point lovich considers there's isn't enough ice for his truck, 12, 10, 8?

I guess nobody will care too much if you don't endanger them other than "You saw that guy with the 3/4 ton on 13" of ice", and maybe one day you'll be entertainment with a photo of another truck through the ice at lake X on this forum.

Checkout this Alberta Pro, he seems to get it and wouldn't put his 1/2 ton on 13 inches:
http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/t...safety-comfort
You do you, Jet. You do you buddy!!
Old 02-03-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
"not giving advice", but "telling everyone you have extensive experience" again

Extensive experience ain't worth jack if it comes from (to quote yourself) a "dough head".

For anybody new, who wants to learn about driving on ice and wants to minimize the risk to their vehicle, life, others and who is trying to figure out if the dough heads should be listened to...

The best resource is the one your government has created for you. It's been written by engineers who's job it is to understand these things more than you do and is designed to minimize your risk. It's considered the most comprehensive guide to date by other jurisdictions too:

https://work.alberta.ca/documents/WHS-PUB_sh011.pdf
https://work.alberta.ca/documents/WHS-PUB_sh010.pdf

If ultimately you choose to ignore it (which is your choice), then please keep
clear of others. Thanks.

Here's what happens when well meaning people think engineering,
physics, ice loading don't apply to them and think they know better:

1 foot of ice, multiple vehicles parked too close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBVxPYDFbw
Jet, at what point during the year, do you require people to not drive or walk? There can be 24" of ice but it's honeycombed. What does honeycombed ice look like?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 PM

Dear Jet:

If I had to describe your demeanor in this thread, I'd use:

"Puritan"

Your definitions of safety are ridiculously extreme and your habit of marking off your fishing spot with traffic cones gives the impression that you take it upon yourself to "educate" anyone who drives too close to you with your middle finger.

Just because people aren't as terrified of the world as you doesn't mean they're stupid.

Your ice fishing season must be about a month long.....
Old 02-03-2016, 11:35 PM

Default Ice safety

Quote:
"not giving advice", but "telling everyone you have extensive experience" again

Extensive experience ain't worth jack if it comes from (to quote yourself) a "dough head".

For anybody new, who wants to learn about driving on ice and wants to minimize the risk to their vehicle, life, others and who is trying to figure out if the dough heads should be listened to...

The best resource is the one your government has created for you. It's been written by engineers who's job it is to understand these things more than you do and is designed to minimize your risk. It's considered the most comprehensive guide to date by other jurisdictions too:

If ultimately you choose to ignore it (which is your choice), then please keep
clear of others. Thanks

Here's what happens when well meaning people think engineering,
physics, ice loading don't apply to them and think they know better:

1 foot of ice, multiple vehicles parked too close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBVxPYDFbw
Well this I am sure you already know that parking on the ice is a hell of a lot safer than driving on the ice, well at least I think you know why, and the difference between 12" of ice and let's say 15" of ice is considerable so not sure what you are getting at.

The Dough head part is me replying to your ridiculous assumptions that you know everything about ice safety.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:20 AM

http://youtu.be/qxgfFwEZjes
Old 02-04-2016, 09:33 AM

I'm not sure how I missed this post the first go-round.... What a mess...

Quote:
Well, looks like he is. And from the amount RavYak goes fishing, looks like he's successful at it too. A good job there are engineers and people who bother to educate themselves.

You wouldn't even be ice fishing, have a flasher and have the ability to put your truck through the ice or drive to the lake if it wasn't for engineers.
Actually, I don't use a flasher, but sure....

Are you an engineer as well? Did you design the truck that we are attempting to put through the ice? Would you like hugs and bum squeezes for being so awesome and smart?

Quote:
Bottom line, if you can't be bothered to educate yourself and ignore the information present to you, don't pretend you
know what you obviously don't, don't preach misinformation to people
with less experience, it's dangerous, infact it's life threatening.
a) How is having decades worth of experience on certain lakes not being educated? You make it seem as though anyone who isn't following your safety chart is being reckless and is automatically endangering the lives of anyone on the lake anywhere... Give your head a shake.

b) I don't need a book and a calculator and a forum safety hero to tell me what I need to know about the ice that I fish on. That comes with fishing the area consistently throughout the winter and knowing the ice depth and knowing the lake, which you don't seem to comprehend... Which is weird, because apparently in your mind you are the smartest person on the planet and everyone needs to heed your advice...

Quote:
If someone falls through the ice because you are telling him it's safe when you're unqualified, then it's your fault.
You need to get this through your thick skull.... No one is telling anyone what is safe. I believe "make your own judgement call" has been the overwhelming theme of this thread.

And actually, if someone takes your chart and know-how and what you say as gospel, drives to a lake, punches a couple of holes to see the ice is 28" thick, pulls out their calculator to see that "yes, even according to Jet, it is safe to drive and park on", and then drives another 100 yards and dumps their vehicle in the lake because the ice is only 8" thick due to the natural spring in that spot that the the locals know about... Then according to your logic, that is your fault...?

Quote:
Nobody cares if you fall through the ice (except maybe your ego and family),
(Darwin award comes to mind), but when you put others at risk,
that's different. I bet you think it's acceptable to drive drunk too, because alcohol don't effect you.
I shouldn't even dignify this with a response... What a completely baseless claim that shows more about you as a person, than it says about me.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 PM

Default Ice Safety

Quote:
You categorized yourself as dough head only a few hours previously, memory an issue now?

If there's one thing that has been learnt here, there's no educating these dough heads, and these dough heads have no respect for engineers or others, although they will hypocritically use the products that engineers create.

To the rest of the diatribes, knock yourself out, misquoting and fabrication mean squat, this however may save your life on day, enjoy:

Thank you for your concern, but I think I will do my thing as I have for a while now and you do yours.
Good luck fishing😜
Old 02-04-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:

If there's one thing that has been learnt here, there's no educating these dough heads, and these dough heads have no respect for engineers or others, although they will hypocritically use the products that engineers create.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Banned

Sigh, another thread turning into a schoolground brawl. Anyways, don't know if anyone has put this ice safety tip out there yet so here goes......
...... Try to avoid fishing too close to a beaver lodge, and esp. stay off the area where a bunch of twigs are sticking up through ice. That is the Beavers underwater food depot for the winter, and they are constantly swimming back and forth between the lodge and the wood pile. This can make for very dangerous ice.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Sigh, another thread turning into a schoolground brawl. Anyways, don't know if anyone has put this ice safety tip out there yet so here goes......

...... Try to avoid fishing too close to a beaver lodge, and esp. stay off the area where a bunch of twigs are sticking up through ice. That is the Beavers underwater food depot for the winter, and they are constantly swimming back and forth between the lodge and the wood pile. This can make for very dangerous ice.

Interesting. Good to know, thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 AM

Old 02-05-2016, 12:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

What's a butthurt flow?
Does it effect ice thickness

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-05-2016, 01:03 AM

Only on Tuesdays