Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2024, 01:04 PM

Default Pigeon lake report

I parked at Mulhurst and drove out with quad. Had to cross over the heave at shore but no issues. I drove all the way out to the middle and there was a solid 14” all the way across. I had to cross a few pressure cracks along the way but it was solid driving across them. Started just fishing at noon and landed a walleye on the Jawjacker. Ice will be good enough for vehicles soon but access points might be an issue.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I parked at Mulhurst and drove out with quad. Had to cross over the heave at shore but no issues. I drove all the way out to the middle and there was a solid 14” all the way across. I had to cross a few pressure cracks along the way but it was solid driving across them. Started just fishing at noon and landed a walleye on the Jawjacker. Ice will be good enough for vehicles soon but access points might be an issue.
I drilled some of those wider cracks last weekend and there was not much ice. I doubt a vehicle would go through all the way but it got me thinking I wouldn't attempt it with my own. 2 weeks from now though there will be nothing but smooth sailing to talk about
FYI, that was my first goose egg of the season but I was doing more searching that actual fishing.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I drilled some of those wider cracks last weekend and there was not much ice. I doubt a vehicle would go through all the way but it got me thinking I wouldn't attempt it with my own. 2 weeks from now though there will be nothing but smooth sailing to talk about
FYI, that was my first goose egg of the season but I was doing more searching that actual fishing.
Had a good day today. JJ was going off lots and the weather was nice. Only saw a couple tents towards the whitefish area by Sandholm or would have had the lake to myself. Landed 11 walleye.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:26 PM

Good to know.

Wife is mobility impaired so biggest issue I have is parking the truck and trailer when early ice necessitates the use of the SXS
In the past we usually got on at Mulhurst with their parking bans the lot by the ramp is no longer an option, And with ice heave cannot park on shore ice their either.

Were commuting from Elk Island area so any recommendations in the near vicinity negating need to drive around lake to the Provincial Park would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
Good to know.

Wife is mobility impaired so biggest issue I have is parking the truck and trailer when early ice necessitates the use of the SXS
In the past we usually got on at Mulhurst with their parking bans the lot by the ramp is no longer an option, And with ice heave cannot park on shore ice their either.

Were commuting from Elk Island area so any recommendations in the near vicinity negating need to drive around lake to the Provincial Park would be appreciated.
Thanks
You can park at the Mulhurst launch after August 31st.

WC
Old 01-06-2024, 07:07 AM

I was out yesterday in deep water and there was 13.25” of ice. The heave I had to cross still looks pretty sketchy so I’ll be waiting for a week of the cold weather before thinking of driving out & leaving the quad at home. Wouldn’t trust crossing the heaves just yet! Must be turning into a wuss in my old age. Lol

I seemed to have landed on some active fish at least. Got a couple whites… one was 17” and a nice one at 23.5”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1614.jpg (37.6 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by Soiler; 01-06-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Had a good day today. JJ was going off lots and the weather was nice. Only saw a couple tents towards the whitefish area by Sandholm or would have had the lake to myself. Landed 11 walleye.
Nice! Sounds like a gooder.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soiler View Post
I was out yesterday in deep water and there was 13.25” of ice. The heave I had to cross still looks pretty sketchy so I’ll be waiting for a week of the cold weather before thinking of driving out & leaving the quad at home. Wouldn’t trust crossing the heaves just yet! Must be turning into a wuss in my old age. Lol

I seemed to have landed on some active fish at least. Got a couple whites… one was 17” and a nice one at 23.5”.
Glad to hear a couple were taken down
Congrats.

Even those smaller ones are chubby.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Man you are the king when it comes to whitefish out there! I have never targeted them and every time I see your posts I vow I’m gonna do it one day. Congrats and good luck next time.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:59 AM

Thanks WC.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Man you are the king when it comes to whitefish out there! I have never targeted them and every time I see your posts I vow I’m gonna do it one day. Congrats and good luck next time.
Hardly a king. They humble you really quick whenever you get cocky.
I did manage to get 2 more in the 17/18” class yesterday morning. But I think the weather must’ve put em down because I wasn’t marking very many at all through the morning. Maddening critters to try and figure out. Lol
Old 01-08-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Hardly a king. They humble you really quick whenever you get cocky.
I did manage to get 2 more in the 17/18” class yesterday morning. But I think the weather must’ve put em down because I wasn’t marking very many at all through the morning. Maddening critters to try and figure out. Lol
Truer words have never been spoken.

Glad to see there are more and more of the younger year classes like you are catching. I noticed they are still fat like their monster sized parents. Goes to show that the food source really puts on the lbs. It gives me hope for the longer term for Pigeon.
Old 01-18-2024, 02:41 PM

Default It’s thickened up

Went out this am & the ice has grown to 19” in the deep water. A little surprised it only grew 4” since the last time I was out on the 8th. But there’s a good 6” blanket of snow to insulate it I guess.
Still a frosty ride out on the quad but at least now I know there’s enough for me to drive out from now on.
A productive morning to say the least, got 6 for the smoker before noon.
The biggest was just under 24” which is the top one in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1676.jpg (40.5 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by Soiler; 01-18-2024 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Went out this am & the ice has grown to 19” in the deep water. A little surprised it only grew 4” since the last time I was out on the 8th. But there’s a good 6” blanket of snow to insulate it I guess.
Still a frosty ride out on the quad but at least now I know there’s enough for me to drive out from now on.
A productive morning to say the least, got 6 for the smoker before noon.
The biggest was just under 24” which is the top one in the picture.
nice looking fish , lots of ice i see. how are the heaves and access for driving on and around
Old 01-21-2024, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
nice looking fish , lots of ice i see. how are the heaves and access for driving on and around
Didn’t have any issues getting around with the pickup & there’s plenty of trucks moving around out there now.
Old 01-22-2024, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Didn’t have any issues getting around with the pickup & there’s plenty of trucks moving around out there now.
thanks . plans changed maybe a few days yet before i can get out.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:59 AM

Got out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours landed one white and had other bites.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Got out yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours landed one white and had other bites.
How thick was the ice out there? I’m hoping to bring out the 3/4 ton to the middle on Saturday.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
How thick was the ice out there? I’m hoping to bring out the 3/4 ton to the middle on Saturday.
Soiler posted on the 18th that the ice was 19 inches.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:14 PM

went there today from 8-12. ice about 17inches where i was.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:10 AM

Went out yesterday with a buddy. Good morning flurry and dead from noon to the last hour. Last hour was a short flurry though, but managed to cap it off with another one on the ice. Biggest one is just shy of 24 inches.

Near perfect weather!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0371-u.jpg (104.5 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0375-u.jpg (97.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0370-u.jpg (77.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Went out yesterday with a buddy. Good morning flurry and dead from noon to the last hour. Last hour was a short flurry though, but managed to cap it off with another one on the ice. Biggest one is just shy of 24 inches.

Near perfect weather!
Nice fish did you go on the lake from sandholm?
Old 01-25-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Nice fish did you go on the lake from sandholm?
Saturday I did get on at Sandholm but yesterday I got on at a different location. The entrance at Sandholm was nice and easy this year. Just a bit of a sand hill built up at shore so small cars could hang up but generally quite easy.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
16 inches where i was.
Old 01-27-2024, 08:02 PM

Was out today for the first time on pigeon after the elusive whitefish that apparently aren’t in the lake anymore according to some people, but oh yes there are still a few kicking around that’s forsure. Wouldn’t say it was a super great day but there was some activity happening in my holes and others around having some luck also. Got a visit from fish and feathers also. Nice to see them on the lake doin there job but the excessive questioning about certain things was alittle much for my liking but that’s there job and I get why, not to mention most of them are outdoorsmen or outdoors women so possibly they just like talking fishing and hunting. Either way a positive interaction and just nice to see them doin there job making sure the golden walleye isn’t hiding somewhere it shouldn’t be. Lol!!
Old 01-27-2024, 10:48 PM

Drove out from Mulhurst all the way to the middle today. I was the first to make a track out to there. The ice was 20” out in the humps. Fishing for walleye was unreal. Action was constant all day. All the fish were thick and heavy. I was surprised that heaves that were out there when I last took the quad were really nothing to be found but the odd bump along the way. The group that followed my track out there to about 200 yds from me needs to sharpen their auger blades. I felt sorry for them as it took 10 minutes to drill a hole.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:53 AM

I posted this on another thread but thought I would put it on here too. I have winched a lot of guys out of heaves on Pigeon Lake over the years. If you drop the front end in, the tow truck is NOT coming out there to get you.

Large areas of open water, on either side of a heave is VERY common. The shallower the lake overall and or the shallower the heave, makes this more pronounced. Also common is an open area below a heave. Wind direction when the heave formed determines which side the open water is usually on but a wind shift can leave open water on both sides. Some of these areas never re-freeze properly for the rest of the winter. Definitely be VERY VERY careful around ice heaves or other abnormalities.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
went there today from 8-12. ice about 17inches where i was.
nice catch , was out this week , seems the bite is on caught fish in every spot i tried . biggest this year is 6.2 lbs , still looking for that 12 lber .
Old 01-29-2024, 09:22 PM

Quote:
nice catch , was out this week , seems the bite is on caught fish in every spot i tried . biggest this year is 6.2 lbs , still looking for that 12 lber .
12? 😮 And here I am just trying to beat 9lbs. Lol
A 10 would be even better. 😂
Old 01-30-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
12? 😮 And here I am just trying to beat 9lbs. Lol
A 10 would be even better. 😂
my son got a 10.5 lb last year i have to one up him . hope you get the 10 lber