Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
After using my calculator I have come to the conclusion that 15 holes drilled minus 2 holes legally used equals 13 unused holes. 13 holes is alot of holes and covers a large fishing area.

I have a question for the forum. If the regulations were to indicate how far a person must be from another fisherman how far should that be?

CR
I think 20 yards would be nice, unless invited closer.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Default !!!!

Hey CR
Don't mean to be a d!ck just amazed at some peoples behavior.
Was fishing a spot. Felt the fish were going deeper as the day progressed. Moved MAYBE ten feet with my buddy staying at the original spot. Guy drives his truck in between us and claims the holes between us.
Another trip had guys ruin a good shallow bite by parking within spitting range of our tent, leave their thrash metal blaring, and proceed to strafe the area with holes.
These are just the two most recent of such incidents.
Crap like that is all to common.
Anyone condoning such acts need their ***** removed.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 AM

Its plain and simple , A little respect goes a long ways , but you cant be greedy , Share the water , After all were all out there for the same reasons ..............Arent we ?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
stealing people's holes is RUDE!!!!!!
fishermen with any skills move typically from shallow to deep or along with shorelines...
they then reuse these hole when light levels change (sundown, etc.)
ALSO crowding others is plain DISRESPECTFUL!!!!!!
if you need a hand digging due to equipment trouble or age or whatever, no problem ASK FOR ASSISTANCE.
i'm sure 99.9% of the people out there will gladly help you out.
DO NOT steal people's spots!!!!!!
at least come say hi and check it's ok....
if you or someone you know is out there doing this....STOP IT BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!
cheers, gw
LOL , YOU got to be kidding , when you VACATE a hole no matter who drilled it and move to another spot on the lake , that hole belongs to whoever uses it next , PERIOD.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 AM

Default Respectful distance

What does everyone feel is a courteous distance to set up?
As far as using holes, my thought is - 100 feet away, they are fair game. 10 or 20 feet from someone you don't know? IMO - asking if it's ok to share a spot that close to someone would be polite.
I know situations vary, and no ,we don't "own" that part of the lake., but a lot of people look for solitude ,or at least some quiet, when fishing.I do.
That being said, I've invited people to fish close to us, offered to drill holes too.Especially if they look like they are new or unsure where to go.
After all, is is a recreational sport, and being polite rarely costs much if anything.
Just my long winded 2 cents.
Have a good day
Ken
Old 01-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
fishermen with any skills move typically from shallow to deep or along with shorelines...
ALSO crowding others is plain DISRESPECTFUL!!!!!!
if you need a hand digging due to equipment trouble or age or whatever, no problem ASK FOR ASSISTANCE.
i'm sure 99.9% of the people out there will gladly help you out.
DO NOT steal people's spots!!!!!!
at least come say hi and check it's ok....
if you or someone you know is out there doing this....STOP IT BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!
cheers, gw
So you have KILLED over this or similar matters? If so you need big help.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Well said gummy

we fish away from the crowds too. We drill a lot of holes both in searching and to move with the fish. We will have tent set up but will check our "trapline" now and then and will also rebrake and scoop out slush now and then as well. If we leave the area that is one thing but courtesy and some respect would be in order otherwise. Asking would probably smooth things over and we would prolly even offer to cut fresh ones for you. But from the posts on here it seems few would have the courtesy/respect to ask just as it is out there. Flame away
Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 AM

I sure as heck would not come tromping in and use a hole or drill one 10 feet from a stranger, that's big time rude. 50' is plenty close unless invited, 100' feet would be better. To park your shack on a lake over a good hole for the winter is BS. It's been done for years I know but that doesn't make it right. Just because some figure they can bring their portable cabin onto the lake and leave it there is ok. The only reason these homemade units are left on the lake is because they are a pain in the butt to move each trip and it guarantees the owner of same a spot on possibly a hot spot to fish. These are PUBLIC waters are they not? It sure wouldn't fly in the summer if you just anchored your boat on a hot spot and taxied to and from all summer!! Hypothetical probably but all the same reasoning. Some folks are just ignorant, naive or just don't give a dam about others. I agree with Wayne, do not be driving over to my hole to chat. You will politely be asked to move your vehicle away and invited to comeback and chat if you wish.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM

We walk and drag our gear mostly as well. If you want to stop and say hi that is great but some space is and would be appreciated.
Courtesy and respect.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
LOL , YOU got to be kidding , when you VACATE a hole no matter who drilled it and move to another spot on the lake , that hole belongs to whoever uses it next , PERIOD.
i believe his point was that they are using his holes while he's still there !

if you move to another bay, or across the point, and thyen come back, you have suck it up if someone else has moved in. But if you have 15-20 holes in one spot and someone moves right in while your there, not cool !
Old 01-22-2010, 10:06 AM

Default !!!

EXACTLY CRAZYFISH!!
you got er bang on!!!!
these guys arguing the fact are probably the ones who get wasted, blast their music, and crowd ya!!!!!!!!! oh and drive drunk home afterwards.....
Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drano View Post
Isn't that what got Tiger in trouble he vacated to many holes and got caught...lol
X2 You know the differance between Tiger Woods and Santa Claus....??

Santa only has three Ho's!!

( Ho! Ho! Ho! )
Old 01-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
EXACTLY CRAZYFISH!!
you got er bang on!!!!
these guys arguing the fact are probably the ones who get wasted, blast their music, and crowd ya!!!!!!!!! oh and drive drunk home afterwards.....

Sorry if l misread your first post , you said you MOVED from shallow to deeper water , this could be anywhere from 10 feet to 200 ft , if you moved more than 100 ft , then your holes are fair game l would say , if you want to reserve them , then leave a lawn chair there with a note attached .
Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Sorry if l misread your first post , you said you MOVED from shallow to deeper water , this could be anywhere from 10 feet to 200 ft , if you moved more than 100 ft , then your holes are fair game l would say , if you want to reserve them , then leave a lawn chair there with a note attached .
Boy I don't know,, you would have to be pretty rude to move in on someones holes if they moved 100 ft.. Out of the area yah maybe but 100 ft even 200 ft a guy is still working the area.. Don't be a leach and dig your own.. Don't have a power auger,,, oh well get a better job lolol.. For myself I would absolutely never even come close to this,, 200 yrds is about my boundaries.

This all just sums up a lot of peoples lives in general,, those that survive off of others and those that cut their own wake.. Each to his own I guess..
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I believe you are missing out on a great money making idea you could rope off your couple of acre's of ice and give lessons Ice fishing 101.

I have always been of the view that as long as I didn't have to listen to your music or someone complaining you are far enough away.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM

i still remember fishing with my grampa when i was a pup and when people would croud him sometimes i thought they were going down those holes! Unless i know the guys i feel guilty getting with in 100 yards i cant imagine gettin with in 100 feet unless someone invited me especially if the they drilled the holes.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 PM

Default Etiquette

Invasion of fishing spots is all to common. There has been numerous times this happens. All it takes is to be polite and ask if you can fish the holes. If some one invades go start coughing and spitting around them and say
"Dam H1N1 just get get rid of it"
Myself I like the quiet spot but you always have people that fish where ever they please. Wait for them to go back to their spot and you invade maybe that will work.
Good Luck all
Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM

WILDMAN,

If I had a few holes punched in my space I would be upset as well. Iam curious though as to how the conversation went when they dropped a line in one of your holes.

Did they say anything when they pulled up? Did you say anything to them?

Did they catch anything?

On many occasions I have fished an area where people are already set up. But try and stay a respectable distance away. I would say if I can hear your conversation with your bud Iam too close.

CR
Old 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM

Wildman , you must have gotten out on the wrong side of the bed. I bet that
normally you are a generous kind hearted person that would not say sh--!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 PM

A few guys have said that 100 yard minimum is the distance they want from another fisherman? 100 yards x 100 yards = 108,900 sq feet, or roughly 2.5 acres per person. Are you fishing the Great Lakes?

I sure don't want to go where some of you guys are fishing, sounds like a bunch of completely ignorant selfish jerks, that are just short of 'packin' to go fishing? I feel sorry for you guys, running into them and spoiling your trip. I drive a long way to go fishing, and garbage like that would turn me off the sport.

Every where I have been we get a long great, look forward to people coming by to say hello and sharing favorite bait and hook secrets is just idle chit chat.

Maybe some of you need to find a better producing lake, or just chill out. A lot.

Does every sport that people enjoy have to come to crap like this?

By the way, I catch some fish to eat them, I am not 100% C&R.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM
jrs

I fully understand why guys are getting upset. Last weekend we repeatedly moved away from other groups and were continuously followed. I don't mind visiting for a few minutes then having someone set up 50-60 yards away but when guys insist on setting up in my holes within 10 yards i get a little taken aback. Not everyone wants to be around the cranked music and a bunch of sailor mouth drunks, even when kids aren't along. I don't know, maybe i shouldn't expect any courtesy but i have not once, ever, experienced this sort of behaviour fishing down south. I've even offered to drill holes further away from our tip ups for guys and just get sent a couple choice words and the it's not your lake comments. I respect that but then again, a bit of common courtesy does go a long long ways.
I understand not everyone can afford an auger but at least ask, most guys will drill you a few holes. I've drilled holes for others and i've also had other guys offer when i didn't have the gas auger along. Most groups out on the lakes are great. Heck, i've ended up fishing along with a few family groups this year and sending them home with a few wireworms and ice fishing jigs. Its the guys with the attitude that take away from the experience for everyone.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:56 PM

My uncle had an easy fix to this crowding problem. This is going back to the 70's when gun laws had a few grey areas. He would set up his rod on the ice or shore, then he would walk about 20 yards out and put his " brown bottle " on the ice / shore. Then when the weekend warriors showed up and tried to squeeze in close to where he was fishing out comes the shotgun and BAM, BAM, BAM. Then he would ask if his target practice was bothering them . They always left while the next three shells were being loaded.
Dodger.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
My uncle had an easy fix to this crowding problem. This is going back to the 70's when gun laws had a few grey areas. He would set up his rod on the ice or shore, then he would walk about 20 yards out and put his " brown bottle " on the ice / shore. Then when the weekend warriors showed up and tried to squeeze in close to where he was fishing out comes the shotgun and BAM, BAM, BAM. Then he would ask if his target practice was bothering them . They always left while the next three shells were being loaded.
Dodger.
Nice one Dodger Well, I'm new to icefishn n so far have not had any major problems with this. I think alot of this strange debate depends on the situation at hand for sure. At the end of the day, being respectful is fairly simple I think. Or so I thought....
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Dodger.
Yes that is a prime example of a few spoiling it for the rest. Tell your uncle and others like him thanks a lot for the laws we have today. That behavior would be the inspiration for many lawmakers and antis.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM

We do have a maximum distance we can be from our fishing rods/drilled holes, ice or not, if we are keeping these holes cleared by regularly visiting for ice removal, common sense says they are there for the fisherman's use (one who drilled). Once moved past this distance or permission to utilize another's labor(drill hole) givver, however respect and permission seem to be a thing of the past and need to be reviewed to a select few lately. I agree 100% with the OP that if a person/group goes out early, has an idea of the structure and where to fish,setup and then 3hrs later someone feels they should move to within 50ft and be your new buddy without an invite (happened last yr at CVR) we had been there 3 days/nites already and if we weren't leaving that morning could have been a major problem for the interlopers.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Dodger.
lol, I'd love to have an uncle like that, too bad it wasn't like an M16 or something , I think Wildman has a right reason to be pizzed off,
I would and I would prolly tell them to take a fricken hike right quick !!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
But if you have 15-20 holes in one spot and someone moves right in while your there, not cool !
15 to 20 holes is not a small area and if it was in a small area it would be a safety issue or at least a warranted concern.

Just out of curiosity when you are done for the day what do you do with the 15 to 20 holes you have?

Do you mark it off?

What size of auger are you useing?

How do you enjoy yourself trying to fish that many holes when you are only legal to use 2 rods/1rod and a tip-up?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 AM

if you are that much of a loser........ ask what they have for lunch maybe?
find your own spot ,.....not 2 feet from another angler!!!!!......idiots !!!!!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley65 View Post
if you are that much of a loser........ ask what they have for lunch maybe?
find your own spot ,.....not 2 feet from another angler!!!!!......idiots !!!!!
Ahh Budwiser the breakfast of champions!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Best idea .....

I have a friend in Manitoba , who when people come close in a truck

or on foot , he takes out his tamborine and starts yelling " were gonna talk about Jesus here " He also had A LARGE WHITE CROSS on a stand he puts
on the hood of the truck ... Usually they are left alone ..He use to always carry a hand gun but he has softened in his old age ...

What ever works