Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I have a friend in Manitoba , who when people come close in a truck

or on foot , he takes out his tamborine and starts yelling " were gonna talk about Jesus here " He also had A LARGE WHITE CROSS on a stand he puts
on the hood of the truck ... Usually they are left alone ..He use to always carry a hand gun but he has softened in his old age ...

What ever works
Sucks to live in Manitoba
Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfloatin View Post
15 to 20 holes is not a small area and if it was in a small area it would be a safety issue or at least a warranted concern.

Just out of curiosity when you are done for the day what do you do with the 15 to 20 holes you have?

Do you mark it off?

What size of auger are you useing?

How do you enjoy yourself trying to fish that many holes when you are only legal to use 2 rods/1rod and a tip-up?

Very Good Question
Old 01-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

Default Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
stealing people's holes is RUDE!!!!!!
fishermen with any skills move typically from shallow to deep or along with shorelines...
they then reuse these hole when light levels change (sundown, etc.)
ALSO crowding others is plain DISRESPECTFUL!!!!!!
if you need a hand digging due to equipment trouble or age or whatever, no problem ASK FOR ASSISTANCE.
i'm sure 99.9% of the people out there will gladly help you out.
DO NOT steal people's spots!!!!!!
at least come say hi and check it's ok....
if you or someone you know is out there doing this....STOP IT BEFORE I KILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!
cheers, gw
I have been watching this post for a while and it is quite evident, we live in a different age now. Gone are the days of having some pride in accomplishing something on your own, actually earning something. The norm now is to "get mine" at any cost, it is owed to me, there is very little effort made, or pride in actual earning anything any more. As most of you have probably observed there is all kinds of this behavior in the work place as well, people have no pride in what they earn, only in what they can get for nothing, why would be fishing be any different? The quote "you don't own the lake" has become the catch phrase or should I say battley cry for these individuals who pride them selves on catching fish because of the work of others. On a lake that is miles long and miles wide it has to be the most pathetic reason for fishing with a few yards of another angler that is already set up. One post even suggested that you may be greedy if you drill a few holes and choose to walk from hole to hole fishing them all, once again what a lame excuse for moving within a few yards of someone, fishing in holes they drilled, on a lake that is miles long. Unfortuanetly with the limited lakes available for fishing and with the increasing number of anglers this type of behaviour will become even more common. Moving right in on some one angling, summer or winter is nothing but an "attitude"...... what can I get out of this for nothing.......sorry Wildman it is now the way of things for far to many anglers.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Hi Guys
I have found that if someone moves in too close to you or takes over some of the holes you have drilled and are still fishing them.Just take your shovel and start shoveling snow by scraping the ice within a few feet of where they are fishing.With all the noise,they will not catch any fish and should move out fairly soon to a different location.
My rule of thumb for fishing space.
Stay 20 feet beyond the range of a 12 gauge shotgun.You should be okay.
Cheers
Rainbow
Old 01-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Yes that is a prime example of a few spoiling it for the rest. Tell your uncle and others like him thanks a lot for the laws we have today. That behavior would be the inspiration for many lawmakers and antis.
That will be a little tough because he's been in the ground for 10 years, being an ex war vet he did have a bit of an edge. I would guess your just growing some curly hairs so you would have no understanding of how Alberta was in the 60's - 70's it was a bit like the wild West. I use to hunt gophers in the city with a .22 and the cops would pull up and ask if we got any and play safe. Now I haven't pulled a trigger in 5 years so I never new that target practice while out camping was illegal?
Dodger.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I have a friend in Manitoba , who when people come close in a truck

or on foot , he takes out his tamborine and starts yelling " were gonna talk about Jesus here " He also had A LARGE WHITE CROSS on a stand he puts
on the hood of the truck ... Usually they are left alone ..He use to always carry a hand gun but he has softened in his old age ...

What ever works

HELLELUA !!!
Dodger.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:15 PM

for what its worth, I usually hand drill 2 holes 3 feet apart in my tent and sit there til the fish come to me. I dont care how close someone else gets, as long as they dont climb in the tent with me. I dont understand how 20 holes can catch you more fish than 2, how much time do you waste Tiger Woods-ing it all day ? I sit there, stay warm, and pretty much always catch fish!!!!!!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
for what its worth, I usually hand drill 2 holes 3 feet apart in my tent and sit there til the fish come to me. I dont care how close someone else gets, as long as they dont climb in the tent with me. I dont understand how 20 holes can catch you more fish than 2, how much time do you waste Tiger Woods-ing it all day ? I sit there, stay warm, and pretty much always catch fish!!!!!!
Except when he fishes with a group of women!!!hahah
Old 01-24-2010, 01:45 AM

Usually I am the one to get irritated when we get crowded on the ice but on the last outing we brought some kids along and they took matters into their own hands. They stuffed fresh poop into the guys vent inlet on his truck. It was a little drastic but it worked, I think I'll give it a go next time I am feeling the squeeze. Tight lines and regular colons to you.

Road hunting is not hunting.

Last edited by DuckBrat; 01-24-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Usually I am the one to get irritated when we get crowded on the ice but on the last outing we brought some kids along and they took matters into their own hands. They stuffed fresh poop into the guys vent inlet on his truck. It was a little drastic but it worked, I think I'll give it a go next time I am feeling the squeeze. Tight lines and regular colons to you.
You are a great role model DuckBrat, I can hardly wait to read about these young impressional kids in my morning news paper.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
For perch and trout sometimes it pays to be mobile. If fishing for perch we usually drill 20 or so holes. Near the middle we will put our tip ups for pike. The rest are perch holes. You drop your line to the bottom, bring it up a few inches. Sit still for 1 minute. Drop to the bottom and back up to rest height. wait 1 minute. If no bites move holes. Often we will nail 2-3 perch out of a hole and then it dies. 2 holes over you will hit them again. The schools move around and we are WAY more productive if we chase them around. I used to sit and catch several, but I got tired of watching my buddy out catch me by 3-1. I had to save face
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfloatin View Post
Ahh Budwiser the breakfast of champions!
prefer pilsner...lol
Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I sure as heck would not come tromping in and use a hole or drill one 10 feet from a stranger, that's big time rude. 50' is plenty close unless invited, 100' feet would be better. To park your shack on a lake over a good hole for the winter is BS. It's been done for years I know but that doesn't make it right. Just because some figure they can bring their portable cabin onto the lake and leave it there is ok. The only reason these homemade units are left on the lake is because they are a pain in the butt to move each trip and it guarantees the owner of same a spot on possibly a hot spot to fish. These are PUBLIC waters are they not? It sure wouldn't fly in the summer if you just anchored your boat on a hot spot and taxied to and from all summer!! Hypothetical probably but all the same reasoning. Some folks are just ignorant, naive or just don't give a dam about others. I agree with Wayne, do not be driving over to my hole to chat. You will politely be asked to move your vehicle away and invited to comeback and chat if you wish.

Your name suits you, Crusty.

Let me know where your going ice fishing next, I won't be there.

Fish swim and don't know boundaries. Who made you king of the lake and said you should drill holes all over the place and stake a claim. I would have to agree that you drilled 13 holes too many. Or your the nicest angler there was, drilling holes for 6.5 people to fish out of.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
we brought some kids along and they took matters into their own hands. They stuffed fresh poop into the guys vent inlet on his truck. .

If I ever caught my sons pulling something like that they would get disciplined so fast it would make their heads spin. If someone does something that upsets you, you first turn on the brain switch, then walk over and say "Hi there. I was wondering if you could..." Civil and polite is best, but if you can't make that happen, at least be a man and have the unpleasant confrontation face to face. I wouldn't want to teach my boys to sneak around and do weasly cowardly crap like that. Just be straight with what you want and expect.

Last edited by Okotokian; 01-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Boy I don't know,, you would have to be pretty rude to move in on someones holes if they moved 100 ft.. Out of the area yah maybe but 100 ft even 200 ft a guy is still working the area.. Don't be a leach and dig your own.. Don't have a power auger,,, oh well get a better job lolol.. For myself I would absolutely never even come close to this,, 200 yrds is about my boundaries.

This all just sums up a lot of peoples lives in general,, those that survive off of others and those that cut their own wake.. Each to his own I guess..
If I show up on a lake and I see unused holes with a guy fishing 100ft away, how do I know they are his? Whats to say they don't belong to the guy that caught his limit and left?
I say if you plan on using them again you should mark them some way, because if I see unused holes right where I want to fish and all I have to do is chip a bit of ice instead of drilling a new hole, I'm going to use them.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
If I thought this story was more than just hot air, I would ask how old these kids are that you let play with their own poop. Its only funny when monkeys do it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post
If I show up on a lake and I see unused holes with a guy fishing 100ft away, how do I know they are his? Whats to say they don't belong to the guy that caught his limit and left?
I say if you plan on using them again you should mark them some way, because if I see unused holes right where I want to fish and all I have to do is chip a bit of ice instead of drilling a new hole, I'm going to use them.

Good plan, but when there are a group of guys, do you ask the guy in the red dodge, the white ford, the white ford, the white ford, the old red chev, the quad, the white ford......?

Why does everything have to be such a freaking battle? Fishing is simple, drive, dig, sit, fish, eat, dig, fish, go home.

Why all the hassle? If a hole withing your 2 1/2 acres get another family on it, put the shotgun away, (not you firegod) wave with your entire hand, and dig another hole if you have to.

This must be a southern thing.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 PM

And for the people that need a hundred yard boundry, good luck on slave lake. The fish are all on a shelf. So are all the fishermen. If you plan on being a hundred yards from another fisherman, you should be able to see them from the Canyon Creek Bar.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
i believe his point was that they are using his holes while he's still there !

if you move to another bay, or across the point, and thyen come back, you have suck it up if someone else has moved in. But if you have 15-20 holes in one spot and someone moves right in while your there, not cool !
I have to agree with this point even though technically you wouldn't have a legal foot to stand on if you started an altercation over somebody moving in on your holes. I will admit to blaring heavy metal & throwing loud f-bombs when some inconsiderate person or people move closer than 50ft & start using my holes without even aknowledging my exsistance but that was only one time; 99% of fisherpeople have more common sense than that.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:14 PM

X2 bobalong
for everything you said
cheers
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
For perch and trout sometimes it pays to be mobile. If fishing for perch we usually drill 20 or so holes. Near the middle we will put our tip ups for pike. The rest are perch holes. You drop your line to the bottom, bring it up a few inches. Sit still for 1 minute. Drop to the bottom and back up to rest height. wait 1 minute. If no bites move holes. Often we will nail 2-3 perch out of a hole and then it dies. 2 holes over you will hit them again. The schools move around and we are WAY more productive if we chase them around. I used to sit and catch several, but I got tired of watching my buddy out catch me by 3-1. I had to save face
Thx mulecrazy. New to the ice game. Seems like u got a good system here. Gonna give it a whirl next time out for perchies!
This thread has respawned...don't know if that's a good thing or not?
Good points, silly points, angry points, man I love this forum
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Default right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
If I ever caught my sons pulling something like that they would get disciplined so fast it would make their heads spin. If someone does something that upsets you, you first turn on the brain switch, then walk over and say "Hi there. I was wondering if you could..." Civil and polite is best, but if you can't make that happen, at least be a man and have the unpleasant confrontation face to face. I wouldn't want to teach my boys to sneak around and do weasly cowardly crap like that. Just be straight with what you want and expect.
I couldn't agree more ......well said OKO...
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

A hundred feet is the length of an average city lot , more than enough distance from others , if holes are emty , l will use them if not marked , but most of the time l like to be away from the crowd.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 PM

You mean to tell me, that we both get on a lake early in the morning, you auger some holes move after an hour. go fish somewhere else for an hour, repeat this prosess a couple of times and have managed to put a bit a distance between your self and I. then i go to your first few holes you punched, you think I'm rude? well bud, you don't want to read what I would like to wright, but you should go get your head checked! if there isn't enough lake out there for you and who ever.........then go find a lake all to yourself, then you won't have to worry about someone taking your spot. *******!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod74 View Post

Quote:
This all just sums up a lot of peoples lives in general,, those that survive off of others and those that cut their own wake.. Each to his own I guess..
Like the post says I guess what do you want me to say.. Go hard and fish.. I wouldn't bother to argue with you if you did. I would just move if you came to close and carry on catching fish someplace else. Not a hard thing to do.. A little work has never bothered me..
Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renslipevol View Post
Let me know where your going ice fishing next, I won't be there.

Fish swim and don't know boundaries. Who made you king of the lake and said you should drill holes all over the place and stake a claim. I would have to agree that you drilled 13 holes too many. Or your the nicest angler there was, drilling holes for 6.5 people to fish out of.
Who made you king of the lake telling someone they can't drill some extra holes and move around ????
Ever thought some people like to drill a few extra holes and move around a bit - deeper/shallower or weeds/no weeds ???????
Not everyone drills two holes and stays in one spot all day

Seriously though, the big question is - how close do you have to be to someone else ??
Do you find it necessary to climb up someones azz cause they're fishing one particular spot that you think you have a claim too ??

Sounds pretty selfish to crowd other people......

There's lots of ice out there boys and girls - use it
Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM

Wildman, I have to hand it to you! That's the best troll I've seen in a long, long time. Congrats man.