Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 AM

and u wonder y theres not much big fish nomore
Old 02-15-2011, 09:44 AM

"and u wonder y theres not much big fish nomore "

Yup its a result of sharing
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM

people just gotta be better with greetiness. if everyone did all their part in releasing the big ones i think wed have more fish around and bigger one around too. and i think also a lot of people poaches too
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui View Post
u know what i think. i think that some people are selfish. because we all love fishing and it doesnt hurt to help some people out with info so they can have great fishing time too. theres planty fish everywhere. just, if u catch a huge one just take pics and put it back. give a chance to other people to enjoy some good fishing too
Anyone can read through the lazy guys styled Internet fishing,,, many people here learned many places the hard way, trial and error and success, it aint cheap, gas wise, snag wise. Many of those fishermen don't really need to be on here but they are and they share technique, lures, ice conditions and so forth, great stuff. I learned the hard way about posting spots,, so now Cove Y on Lake X is a garbage dump. And since when was fishing instantly mastered? Fishing is about exploring and learning about water type even barometric pressure,, which I should add is perfect today. Yes there are fish everywhere, so go catch em! Maybe not today or tomorrow or next week, but you eventually will and then you'll have your Lake X. In fact, there are so many threads on how to fish that I'm suprised that more lunkers aren't posted.

Last edited by Gust; 02-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 PM

Unhappy Oil; Spills

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
The whole lake X thing reminds me of Crooked lake in the 80's , outside foxcreek, it crashed, then misawawee(sp)? , in the early 2000's , it crashed, both times there was people driving from Red Deer and furthur,(5 hrs + )for a perch....crazy(but i understand) ! I don't have any issues with talking about any of the bigger lakes , but the small ones need a little protection !
Crooked lake was destroyed by an oil spill near the lake. This was the time of new drilling up there. I miss those days of limit fishing.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Perfectly said. X2 Gusta
Old 02-15-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui View Post
u know what i think. i think that some people are selfish. because we all love fishing and it doesnt hurt to help some people out with info so they can have great fishing time too. theres planty fish everywhere. just, if u catch a huge one just take pics and put it back. give a chance to other people to enjoy some good fishing too
Try the outflow into the Sheep river in Okotoks. Big ones coming in there. I'm sharing OK?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM

You can call it selfish, but I call it part of fishing. I personally see no problem with sharing info on stocked ponds to help a family go out and catch a couple fish, but beyond that I think it's best to be quiet about good fishing spots. People who are doing well consistently do well because they have put in years learning how to target large fish on particular waters. Perhaps they have learned from friends, but many times they have developed those friendships through years spent as part of the fishing community. If someone has put in the time to learn how to consistently catch quality fish, then they have earned that right. Additionally, they have likely developed a high level of respect for these waters and understand the importance of catch and release and proper fish handling skills. Furthermore, I am not going to post a location that I have worked hard to find only to have a bunch of rednecks go out and ruin it for everyone. If others want to catch large fish then they can put in the effort to figure out how.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
And a little south of Lake "Y".
and south of the Z pond. You know the place, between The towns A and B on hiway C. You drive by it every day.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM

I don't get all the Lake X postings. If you don't want the lake to be known - why are you posting at all? Is your life that shallow that you need to tell everyone how great the fishing is at your secret spot? Come on - its like bragging about your money - who cares. If you want to keep your lake secret - shut up - if you want to post do something useful and help those looking for advice.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
I don't get all the Lake X postings. If you don't want the lake to be known - why are you posting at all? Is your life that shallow that you need to tell everyone how great the fishing is at your secret spot? Come on - its like bragging about your money - who cares. If you want to keep your lake secret - shut up - if you want to post do something useful and help those looking for advice.
Yah help all the lazy weekend warriors like yourself.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
You know, if you read the other forums, things are fairly tame,,, but the fishing forums are quite agro and I think it's because we'd rather be fishing than on the bloody puter. Just sayin!

But seriously; isn't every lake Lake X? it just takes time to learn the lake. I like seeing fish from Lake X because it gets me all wanting to get out to whatever Lake X I like to fish.

Barometric pressure is platinum perfect right now.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
Give yourself a hero cookie. Saving the world - one redacted picture at a time. Well done! Let's nominate you for the order of Canada.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:02 PM

I googled Lake X and I found it. Easy to get to as well. So now the secret is out.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM

Default lake x

There's nothing wrong with lake x. If you want to be spoon fed then maybe you shouldn't of grown up! Like its been stated post the lake and area you are catching the fish and the next saturday there won't be any room to fish. The same reason why I don't leave fish laying on the ice so you don't have people driving over your holes so they can park on top of you. What's wrong with posting pictures of success we do it all the time in the hunting forum.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM

Posting pictures is not about bragging. I don't know about others on here, but I can say that I personally love seeing pictures of large fish and most often don't care at all where they are from. I'm sure many others here are the same, and that is why we post pictures of large fish, even if they were caught at lake X
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I googled Lake X and I found it. Easy to get to as well. So now the secret is out.

Hah! That's funny; good one, man.

No sympathy from me for people who want the good spots handed to them nice and easy, whether it be fish or deer-close-to-Calgary.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:

lol ..that is a good one!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Nice photo. It looks like a human stomach..........................
Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Default Proposal to development of Lake X

Quote:

The road accessing Lake X need a more direct approach. I propose we initiate a fundraising campaign to open a shortcut (in blue) to allow non-4x4 access to the lake.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Nice photo. It looks like a human stomach..........................
Ya it does, Paul. But I think Honda450 is trying to trick us. That is Lake EX-LAX from parts unknown. It is actually pretty crappy to get into, I've heard.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:21 PM

What's the name of the road that surrounds lake x?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
What's the name of the road that surrounds lake x?
Road X! LOL
Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-C View Post
Road X! LOL
Really?

I thought it was ring road?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Too funny
Old 02-17-2011, 08:54 PM

I work in the fishing department of a store where everyone here shops eventually. Today, a customer wanted to know where I fish. I told him Frenchman's Creek.

He made a note of it and thanked me.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I work in the fishing department of a store where everyone here shops eventually. Today, a customer wanted to know where I fish. I told him Frenchman's Creek.

He made a note of it and thanked me.

store XXX ?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

How to fix the "where is lake x"...simple..100% catch and release!! problem solved, now can we move on to something more difficult!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 PM

I dont really take to the Lake X approach. I wont tell just anyone where i catch my fish, but i will take a guy out to a few "alright" fishing locations and see what happens. If he tells everyone he knows and starts keeping everything he catches then i call it a loss, if he respects that im trying to help, i'll take him out again to where the big fish really are. I take the same approach with hunting, got burned on a 5x5 i was stalking all season with my bow, the ******* went in on a weekend i was working and shot it with a gun (we only had permission to hunt with bows there, next year i wasn't allowed back in). So i don't agree with not helping people get out there to catch some big fish too, you just have to be careful with who you divulge your info too.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM

Lake X Rulez !!!!!!!!