Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Do you recommend the biggest size? That'd be 4.75" in the Down Deep version and 5.5" in the regular version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i dont see my favorite hook in there anywhere....a husky jerk in blue and silver.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 PM

anything over 20lbs
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 PM

15-25 depends what lake.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
Do you recommend the biggest size? That'd be 4.75" in the Down Deep version and 5.5" in the regular version.
i like the regular verson i think it caches more fish IMO and i like em in all sizes the ones with 2 trebles is an all around lure in fall i use the biggest size size 11 i think.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
i like the regular verson i think it caches more fish IMO and i like em in all sizes the ones with 2 trebles is an all around lure in fall i use the biggest size size 11 i think.

tryed to reply ....your box is full
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 PM

not no more lol
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Mine is the Shad Rap 6 works for Trout .. got the Alberta winning Cutthroat 2010 on that .. Kaden Guimond age 7..19 inches .. i use that on lots of trout lakes don,t catch to many little one's then.. into Tail Dancers now abit.. the Clown color works too
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 PM

The rapalas are awesome! I caught my very first fish and a nice walleye from McGregor on a clackin' rap + my fish finder. Located a structure and a couple of fish, stopped the boat, first cast, got it.

I haven't used my rattling rap as much so that explains why I have yet to caught something on that. But the clackin' rap is awesome, I took it to Japan with me and caught a couple of those huge seabass last year.

Not sure about you guys but catching a fish on a rapala feels nicer than using bait. One thing for certain, your hands don't stink of dead bait + you don't have to remember to re-freeze your bait when you get home.

I also have good success with those jointed rapalas as well as x-raps in shallow water. Just make sure you tie a steel leader if you're chasing after pikes.

Yeah those livetargetlures looks really neat and very detailed. Saw them at TFH in Calgary and a couple of CT stores in Cowtown. Maybe even at WSS in Calgary too..don't remember.
But they also costs 1.5x more than Rapalas...I don't think I'll try them until I hear excellent reviews on them. I think I have enough lures to keep me going for the next few years.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
..pssst hey...yah you...over here.....I'll tell you what you need to do.....just put that milk crate out in the back alley.....and give me a call......I'll make sure your little problem disappears....no questions asked.....capiche?

Lefty
lol... maybe use them as ornaments for the xmas tree next year, heh
Old 04-07-2011, 10:48 PM

Yep the Clackins are awesome too. CVR Pike love those. Can't wait to try the new Clackin' Minnows this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiUnagi View Post
The rapalas are awesome! I caught my very first fish and a nice walleye from McGregor on a clackin' rap + my fish finder. Located a structure and a couple of fish, stopped the boat, first cast, got it.

I haven't used my rattling rap as much so that explains why I have yet to caught something on that. But the clackin' rap is awesome, I took it to Japan with me and caught a couple of those huge seabass last year.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 PM

Lol, this is my sad stash of Rapalas. I find that the rattle Rapalas work the best. Especially the green one on the left.

April 2011 003.jpg

Oh yeah BTW, the size of my jig and spoon stash is a different story.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
i dont see my favorite hook in there anywhere....a husky jerk in blue and silver.
You should put a big pike on the cover of your book with the blue and silver in its mouth. Just like the cover of this years regs but better!

Then they'll sell out quick! Chub you better load up the back of your pick up. Will be a good investment!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
once i sort thru the rest of the boxes there will be a giveaway on buzz baits, spinner baits, Zara spooks and other Bass and Pike hooks i just have no use for.
Donate them to kids getting into fishing. Lots of good causes. There was a big Scouts trip last year that a bunch of AO members donated or loaned gear for and there`s that Autism foundation Braun`s supporting.

If you seriously want to get rid of some stuff I`ll even pick it up from you and make sure it goes to kid`s who can`t afford to fish etc. Kinda like Kidsport but fishing. Maybe we should start a charity.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:05 AM

ive got a 4 yr old son who loves fishing but cant afford to buy his own lures...

lol.. jk.. hes got pretty much full access to the bit i have... that is an awesome idea though. that would some kids very very happy.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 AM

All I have is Rapala and reef runners.
Max Raps are insanely awesome, especally on the Bow.
Haven't had a whole lot of luck with rattler's but never really used them that much. Might have to try now.

Running topwater jointed in any colours works awesome for pike. You can take off the tail and add a plastic worm and its practically weedless and the pike go even more nuts for it.

Gonna focus alot more on 3 way riggin this year for the 'eyes. Time to get my flatraps wet.

I have had almost zero luck with the xrap shads. All colours have proved useless. Reg Xraps work great though.

I think I have 10 sleeves full of rapala's. Don't want to count the money invested there.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
Lol, this is my sad stash of Rapalas. I find that the rattle Rapalas work the best. Especially the green one on the left.
Hey Justin! I've got the same green rattlin too. Which lake have you had success with that? If I recall correctly its a 'bass' pattern. Kinda resembles a perch I guess...probably lakes w/ perch?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM

you should have the treble in the middle it makes it alot more weedless
Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Donate them to kids getting into fishing. Lots of good causes. There was a big Scouts trip last year that a bunch of AO members donated or loaned gear for and there`s that Autism foundation Braun`s supporting.

If you seriously want to get rid of some stuff I`ll even pick it up from you and make sure it goes to kid`s who can`t afford to fish etc. Kinda like Kidsport but fishing. Maybe we should start a charity.
Should of thought of that.....sorry.....incoming pm's have really depleted the excess inventory.....but who knows whats in the next box in the garage rafters
Old 04-08-2011, 08:32 AM

If you take off all the hooks, it's really weedless.

"Dry Hooks Don't Catch Fish"
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Anyone use the glidin' rap? Seen it last night on in-fisherman and they we're slamming big pike on last mountain...

I don't have one, yet.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
you should have the treble in the middle it makes it alot more weedless
IMO I think there are both advantages and dissadantages for hook location. When the hooks are placed at the back of the plug, it allows me to easilly hook walleye that are striking short and I find that when realeasing the fish, not as much of a mess is made of them compared to if the hook was placed in the middle of the plug.

BTW thanks for the for the weedles tip. IMHO I spend way too much time every day de weeding (aka picking off fish marijuana jk ) my lures when I fish in the weedy lakes.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 04-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:31 AM

For any one in Rocky I just picked up a whack of Rapala's for 4-5 each at CT. Might be a few left!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Anyone use the glidin' rap? Seen it last night on in-fisherman and they we're slamming big pike on last mountain...

I don't have one, yet.
are you kidding me???? i have purchesed over 20 last year! Best color is the FH7 special. and my budd got one on a bright yellow gliding rap. they work great for walleye to. and when they arnt biting good use a twichin rap. is a little legend with the side to side motion my favorite rapala lures.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
are you kidding me???? i have purchesed over 20 last year! Best color is the FH7 special. and my budd got one on a bright yellow gliding rap. they work great for walleye to. and when they arnt biting good use a twichin rap. is a little legend with the side to side motion my favorite rapala lures.
i just spent 400 buck at the Hole for Blue Jerks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now im headed back for your very own SIGNATURE SERIES of lures!!!!!!!!!!
Gas is expensive....anything else while im there?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:32 PM

I'm sure I have well over 100 rapalas, probably closer to 200. By far my favorite lure, probably have one on my line 80%+ of the time i'm fishing. try to keep 3 of several of my favorites because it seems like when you need to get another one, you can't find it anymore. Also have dozens of different styles, most with a couple different colors and sizes in most rapala makes too. Best all around rapalas for me are the x-raps, flashraps, and a couple of their rattling ones (not clackin, rattlin shad rap? I think), they seem to produce no matter what.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:04 PM

I think chubb has een dying to see what i got for my pike tacklebox lol. i got 3 3tray tackle boxes jammedpacked and i take what i need as i target a species

Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM

forgot the shallow shad raps. one of the best pike lrues once again.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 PM

You must have the highest paying paper route of any kid i know......good on you Dustin for knowing what you want and getting it....many people could learn from your ambition.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Banned

nice FH7.. hey chubbs, sad part is , i am not sure if you are joking about going to TFH and dropping 400 in one shot on cranks......
Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM

yeah those are just an assortantment of lures to go back on. forgot to put in the shallow shad and a 1 other pike lure but whatever ill upload my my tackle boxes in a bit.
too bad my rods and reels arnt to great.
got 4 rods and none over 50 bucks lol
my expensive ones break...