Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

Default C&R Not so much

I concur with the former poster ...Also I am for the PCs or whomever getting off there fat asses and putting together a viable .. sport fishing program with
realistic harvests . Take all revenues from fishing ( up the fees ) put it back into fishing , major restocking programs ,Actually do a job of policing lawbreakers and poachers.
Mostly so that if I want to eat fish , I dont have to buy the fish that come from the sewers of south east asia. Or that farm grown crap that tastes
like kleenex , fed a steady diet of dog food.
Take the petaheads and treehuggers out of the discussion totally , and use the info from the actual sport user . Until anglers grow a set ,we will have to live with this little girl ....eeeeewwwww..ick...dont kill a fish
horsemanure ...politically correct drivel.
Your not wrong , those are my knuckles draggin on the ground ...
And while we are at it get women out of hockey....thats whats turning
this game into a little girls game ....OooooooWWWW...dont hit anyone who isnt looking.... I'll be so glad when the meds kick in ...

Always glad to help W101
Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM

feelings? FEELINGS?
I feel I have been part of a great forum that is turning into a helmet wearing, short bus riding marathon.
I fish, and if I catch a C&R, I EAT IT. LMAO J/K

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Default c-r

Hi All,
I like c&r because I like to fish and can't eat that many anyway.
Seriously ,
I was born in Holland and fishing is quite a treat there . I remember sitting at the side of a waterway with my granddad catching stickleback ! Yes with a very small hook . We would catch other fish as well obviously but loved to fish . Time with him and my dad fishing are awesome memories.
When I came here with my parents in 1959 there were fish a plenty everywhere . Like the little store ( gone since before the Red Barn thing ) at Devils Lake AB. with the pictures of the massive Walleye that you could catch there . I and others out there could go on with tales like these that would bring tears to your eyes .
It's has been so sad to see strings with fish that include very illegal( in size or numbers ) fish , getting out of a boat and into a vehicle at the lakeside over the years . Freezer burn garbage in many cases . Responsible people canned or smoked extra fish , nothing wrong with that .
I and my family have always practiced C&R . We would have a shore lunch and supper too and that was it until the next day .
I had dealings with a native elder ( near Hay River ) when I was about 13 and he asked me "why does the whitey think he has to take all the fish ?, the lake there is the best place to keep them until you need them !"
I have respected what my Grandfather and this Elder taught me my whole life .
Barbless hooks are a real saviour to our fish populations as well I would think . It takes a little more skill to land one without the barbs so you'll only become a better fisherperson from it.
Enjoy fishing and enjoy the company you keep doing it , it will last a lifetime.
C&R will help ensure it.
Fish on
JackZ
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Really, the lot of you seem to be functioning on a minimum of grey-matter...the point was specifically targeting an endangered, zero-limit species...not inadvertently catching a strictly C&R species whilst targeting another.
HMMM..... Your point regarding targeting sturgeon seems to be your own personal ethical conclusion, not based in science.

The Canadian Science Advisory Report 2010 on the recovery potential assessment of Lake Sturgeon expresses no concern with catch and release fishing other than to promote sound handling and release practices.

In fact, Recreational Angler creel surveys offer the greatest source of information used in the management of Lake Sturgeon.

How quickly some "Scientists" put themselves on a pedestal.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackz View Post
Hi All,
I like c&r because I like to fish and can't eat that many anyway.
Seriously ,
I was born in Holland and fishing is quite a treat there . I remember sitting at the side of a waterway with my granddad catching stickleback ! Yes with a very small hook . We would catch other fish as well obviously but loved to fish . Time with him and my dad fishing are awesome memories.
When I came here with my parents in 1959 there were fish a plenty everywhere . Like the little store ( gone since before the Red Barn thing ) at Devils Lake AB. with the pictures of the massive Walleye that you could catch there . I and others out there could go on with tales like these that would bring tears to your eyes .
It's has been so sad to see strings with fish that include very illegal( in size or numbers ) fish , getting out of a boat and into a vehicle at the lakeside over the years . Freezer burn garbage in many cases . Responsible people canned or smoked extra fish , nothing wrong with that .
I and my family have always practiced C&R . We would have a shore lunch and supper too and that was it until the next day .
I had dealings with a native elder ( near Hay River ) when I was about 13 and he asked me "why does the whitey think he has to take all the fish ?, the lake there is the best place to keep them until you need them !"
I have respected what my Grandfather and this Elder taught me my whole life .
Barbless hooks are a real saviour to our fish populations as well I would think . It takes a little more skill to land one without the barbs so you'll only become a better fisherperson from it.
Enjoy fishing and enjoy the company you keep doing it , it will last a lifetime.
C&R will help ensure it.
Fish on
JackZ

Great post. Exactly why many of us get out there and why we choose to C&R.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Lightbulb Keep EM

If I know that the meat will get eaten I'll keep any or every fish that i'm entitled to from Trout to walleye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The 3 little Pigs.jpg (97.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Really, the lot of you seem to be functioning on a minimum of grey-matter...the point was specifically targeting an endangered, zero-limit species...not inadvertently catching a strictly C&R species whilst targeting another.
LAKE STURGEON ARE NOT ENDANGERED...who is this idiot?
Old 06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's just funny that low functioning people must start their rant with an attempt to degrade the readers to their level.....
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
Best to ignore him, he's new to the forums and has a habit of talking at not with members. We're all guilty of it from time to time but I honestly think that he/she thinks that before his arrival, we were all just walking into tree's, waiting for our messiah so to speak. There is nothing worse than having to qualify oneself in order to debate with someone "Am I worthy now that you know that I may have a degree too?". Full of boast does not go far on here, in my experience.

anyhoo...
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM

Sturgeon Sportfishing
No sturgeon fishing licences will be issued.
Harvest opportunities have been suspended until stocks recover. Lake sturgeon limit 0 for all waters in the province
Old 06-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod View Post
you are bang on. However anytime one is targeting a species such as bulls or cutties where there is a zero possession limit it only makes sense to use hooks that have the least amount of impact on the fish which has to be released.
Barbless would certainly help that cause.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:25 PM

I was always taught to take only one fillet off of them before you release them. Wise words from Winch 101. You can pm him your thanks for a new trick for C&R fishing.
Dodger.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, all species of sturgeon are at least threatened...world-wide.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, all species of sturgeon are at least threatened...world-wide.
Every animal on earth is "threatened". It's called the food chain.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

Toirtis
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gawrsh, thankee.... Always happy to help out a fellow hobbyist.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

Polypterid/Primitive Fish/Ctenopoma/Catfish Fanatic
62 Aquariums, 2200+ total gallons, Aquarist since 1971.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Even having used the barless trebles....they are hell to get out of fish sometimes.....I think I am going to try putting single in place of the trebles to see how this changes hook ups....

I am strictly a catch and release fisherman so I guess I am the most unethical out of the bunch....lol.

Lefty
I'd suggest this to anyone, whether c&r fishing or not. I've gotten in the habit of removing any trebles from a lure and replacing them with single hooks. Not only are fish far easier to release (how do you take a hook out when one prong is in the top of the mouth and one in the bottom?) but I lose alot less than I did using trebles. The hooks seem to be set deeper than with trebles so they don't work themselves out as easy.

I've heard that with cranks you can remove one of the 2 hooks and not miss too many fish. I think it's the rear hook as fish tend to hit those lures from the side. This, however, I haven't tried so I can't confirm this one.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterM View Post
I'd suggest this to anyone, whether c&r fishing or not. I've gotten in the habit of removing any trebles from a lure and replacing them with single hooks. Not only are fish far easier to release (how do you take a hook out when one prong is in the top of the mouth and one in the bottom?) but I lose alot less than I did using trebles. The hooks seem to be set deeper than with trebles so they don't work themselves out as easy.

I've heard that with cranks you can remove one of the 2 hooks and not miss too many fish. I think it's the rear hook as fish tend to hit those lures from the side. This, however, I haven't tried so I can't confirm this one.
do you use circle hooks or true turns
Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
do you use circle hooks or true turns
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure on this. From what I can tell about what a circle hook is, it doesn't look like I'm using them. That being said, I've never even HEARD of a true turn before. Sorry.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure on this. From what I can tell about what a circle hook is, it doesn't look like I'm using them. That being said, I've never even HEARD of a true turn before. Sorry.

Sorry spelt it wrong Tru Turn
Old 06-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Banned

Catch and release is great , you guys releaseum and l,ll HOOKUM, and COOKUM , yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Sorry spelt it wrong Tru Turn
hmm, they're almost a cross between the two of them. The gap is alot wider than on the tru turn but I really don't think they're circle hooks. All I know for sure is they're Gamakatsu hooks in a 3/0 side for a size 1 or 2 Len Thompson. Also put them on my cranks and Topwaters. Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Catch and release is great , you guys releaseum and l,ll HOOKUM, and COOKUM , yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I don't have a problem with people keeping legal fish. Poachers...well I have a stringer for poachers.

My c&r days started because cleaning the fish just seemed like too much work. Come to think of it...that might be the best part of it. You can fish longer if you don't have to worry about cleaning fish when you get home!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
hmm, they're almost a cross between the two of them. The gap is alot wider than on the tru turn but I really don't think they're circle hooks. All I know for sure is they're Gamakatsu hooks in a 3/0 side for a size 1 or 2 Len Thompson. Also put them on my cranks and Topwaters. Sorry I can't be more help.
Are you changing both hook on your cranks or taking off both and just replace front one.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I was always taught to take only one fillet off of them before you release them. Wise words from Winch 101. You can pm him your thanks for a new trick for C&R fishing.
Dodger.
This is an accepted compromise between Full C&R and Full Retention. It's called F&R.( Fillet and Release.)
Old 06-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Every animal on earth is "threatened". It's called the food chain.
lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Best to ignore him, he's new to the forums and has a habit of talking at not with members. We're all guilty of it from time to time but I honestly think that he/she thinks that before his arrival, we were all just walking into tree's, waiting for our messiah so to speak. There is nothing worse than having to qualify oneself in order to debate with someone "Am I worthy now that you know that I may have a degree too?". Full of boast does not go far on here, in my experience.

anyhoo...
yeah i got one person on the forum who dosent like to me at all its life haha.
ever since i was new to
Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Are you changing both hook on your cranks or taking off both and just replace front one.
Well, I don't use cranks much but the one that I do and have caught fish on reliably has both the trebles taken off and replaced with the biggest snelled hook I could find at Wal-Mart (the 3/0 hooks I use for spoons are a tad big for the crank). The snelled hooks have caught pike up to about 10 pounds without straightening...kind of surprised me actually.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I don't use cranks much but the one that I do and have caught fish on reliably has both the trebles taken off and replaced with the biggest snelled hook I could find at Wal-Mart (the 3/0 hooks I use for spoons are a tad big for the crank). The snelled hooks have caught pike up to about 10 pounds without straightening...kind of surprised me actually.
Ok thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 12:48 PM

I love catch and release as that is mostly all i do
Old 11-25-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Me, by the way, who doesn't love a good ol' sturgeon bbq.... Just kidding!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
I love catch and release as that is mostly all i do
Same here, but I do keep the occasional fish. But I almost never keep WILD trout, because they are so sensitive. The only way I would keep one is if it was 1) legal and 2) for sure going to die (like the gills were fully bleeding out). As for other fish, I release most of them, but again if they are bleeding out and they're legal then.... Why not
With icefishing I tend to keep more fish. But not many.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:48 PM

What is the difference between lake sturgeon and river sturgeon, and obviously sturgeon are endangered in some parts of Alberta due to 0 harvest limits, big fines up to 100 thousand dollars.