Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 02:37 PM
Banned

My Calgary is changing..

I use the Olympic bid as a example. There was a time where anything was possible in this city. Then we had our last big boom and the place filled up with people from other parts of the country and world. They came with a different attitude. They are afraid of every thing. They automatically look at the Olympics as a waste of $$. They are 100% convinced we will lose money. I see no open mindness to the whole thing. They look at the negative with out looking at the possibility. No one on the "NO" side is willing to look at cutting a better deal with the IOC and making this at least break even.

For the first time in 48 years of living here, I am somewhat ashamed of what we have become. I want the 'Can Do" attitude back. I want ton see risk takers who become legends with hard work and some street smarts back in our fold. This negative attitude has to come to end.

That attitude is what made this place and lets us stand out from the crowd. With out it, we are just another cess pool/concrete jungle. With it, we will conquer the world.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
My Calgary is changing..

I use the Olympic bid as a example. There was a time where anything was possible in this city. Then we had our last big boom and the place filled up with people from other parts of the country and world. They came with a different attitude. They are afraid of every thing. They automatically look at the Olympics as a waste of $$. They are 100% convinced we will lose money. I see no open mindness to the whole thing. They look at the negative with out looking at the possibility. No one on the "NO" side is willing to look at cutting a better deal with the IOC and making this at least break even.

For the first time in 48 years of living here, I am somewhat ashamed of what we have become. I want the 'Can Do" attitude back. I want ton see risk takers who become legends with hard work and some street smarts back in our fold. This negative attitude has to come to end.

That attitude is what made this place and lets us stand out from the crowd. With out it, we are just another cess pool/concrete jungle. With it, we will conquer the world.
I agree, great cities don't just happen. Like a business they take investment and concerted effort. I think Calgary is doing great with initiatives like the skateparks, harvey passage, bike paths, the east village, public art, the stampede, new library, etc...

There will always be those that are more focused on the immediate need to patch potholes and keep taxes in check rather than the delayed return on sport, lifestyle, culture, and Art; but that voice has value as well to keep it all in check. We need both the potatoes and the gravy.

I have not really looked at the long-term impact on Calgary from the past olympics, but I would be excited if it was on our long-term interest to make another bid.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 PM

Calgary could host a kick butt Olympics the likes of which have never been seen, and you'd get your new arena. Seems to me from the nosebleeds that this Nenshi is a speedbump.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Yup, we are all anxiously awaiting our designation of a world class city

You as well as a few others here have an entire city living in your head rent free.

Ask almost any Edmontonian what they think of Calgary and you will get something like, nice city, not for me though.

Ask almost any Calgarian what they think of Edmonton and they just start foaming at the mouth.

Inferiority complex?
A lot of the hate comes from Edmonton having more Stanley cups. I know right?