Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Great Slave Lake 2019

Hi everyone,
I've read this forum for a while now, but never made a post.
Myself and a few other guys have made the Canada fishing trip the last seven years. We've always stuck to Ontario. We've hit Eagle Lake, Wabigoon, Nungesser, Lake of the Woods and Shoal lake. We've had some really solid trips, but we feel the fishing is far too hit and miss.

Doing some research, we came across GSL. We've seen the InFisherman and other shows showing off "the best day ever". However you never know if this best day ever is a single day or a week of fishing to fill a 30 minute segment.

We've always driven from Minneapolis (one of our group lives there) and it's simple that way, but certain things including overpopulation of anglers and lodge owners who care very little about fishing have put a damper on trips.

Pike fishing has been a disappointment mostly. Not many big fish, and the big fish we get are typically long and skinny. We won't miss the musky, we'd rather catch a big Pike any day. We do enjoy walleye fishing also, something I don't hear as much about at GSL. The lake trout is something we'd do, but mostly our trips revolve around pike and walleye.

SO really the questions are; is it worth the extra money? Is walleye fishing as good as it is for pike? What would a normal day look like in August for 4 very experienced anglers? Should we be looking somewhere else instead of GSL?

Happy Fishing
Old 08-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Banned

If you want Pike and Walleye go to Saskatchewan and I don't think GSL is that great of a pike fishery. Far better choices in Saskatchewan for a damn good look at a 30lb..
Old 08-17-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
If you want Pike and Walleye go to Saskatchewan and I don't think GSL is that great of a pike fishery. Far better choices in Saskatchewan for a damn good look at a 30lb..
Are Manitoba

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Are Manitoba

Agreed Whelen.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 PM

Focus on northern sask. Cree lake. Wollaston lake etc....
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 PM

There's some great lodges in Saskatchewan and Manitoba worked at lots of them Edmund Lake Lodge in Manitoba has great Pike and walleye lots of good lodges North and la ronge Saskatchewan farther north you go the less walleye you get get into big Pike and bigger trout

Old 08-17-2018, 07:51 PM

Certain areas of Great Slave Lake can be good for pike, others not so much. There's a lodge where the Taltson River flows in that sounds incredible, the east arm has some big pike but not many opportunities.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:54 AM

Default You want an affordable trip with large, large pike many in the 20's

-- i have sent you a private message in your inbox on this forum and all the information is there

-- any questions .... Please contact me ....

Respectfully doyle hansen
Old 08-18-2018, 01:59 AM
Gone Hunting

I've fished Great Slave lake for over 20 years. The are huge pike in that lake.
Not only huge pike, there are huge Coonies, a species of Whitefish that can top 50 pounds. And there are plenty of Walleye, as well as Goldeye, Grayling and Lake Trout.

I've caught Walleye in one river that feeds the lake but have only targeted Pike in the lake itself.

Mostly we do a four day trip towards the end of May.
Most years we catch one or two in the 16 pound range but this year we took home two at 24+ pounds, one at 18 pounds, one at 17 pounds and three a little under 16 pounds. This was an exceptional year.

I've fished GSL in July a couple of times, the fishing was disappointing.
However, a local guide could probably put one onto fish over 20 pounds without much trouble at any time of year.

Another thing to consider. Some of my co-workers used to fish at Fort Providence on the May long weekend. They reported catching several Pike over 20 pounds every time they went. I have not fished there at that time of year nor have I seen the fish they reported catching so I can not confirm this. However I trust their word.

We fish a place easily accessible to anyone along the south side of the lake. Some of the less fished parts of the lake should produce bigger fish and more of them.

A word of caution though. A group from the High Level area have been making enemies around the southern parts of the Lake so what used to be very friendly locals are now far less then friendly locals.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-18-2018, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Cree lake lodge, Jan lake lodge, Collins camp besnard lake,

Can't go wrong with these places trust me!

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:06 AM
Banned

query brabant lodge, hay river, nwt. we fished it MANY years ago and the fishing was fabulous. you can access it from hay river by boat, but WHATEVER you do, use extreme caution, check the weather, and stay WAY offshore, because the water is shallow for about a mile offshore.

i've always wanted to go back and wondered about accessing it from ft. providence, but have never had the time to do it. be aware, that you would be in remote, unpopulated country, where a mistake can easily cost you your life.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:11 PM

Thank you everyone for the help! We’ll be checking into it. The lodge on GSL were considering is Taltson big pike resort.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:45 AM

Just rolled in last night from a great trip, to a fantastic place. Vermilionlakeoutfitters.com 6hr drive from edmonton to buffalo narrows sask, then a float plane 50 minutes north. You will be the only folks there aside from mel and marge the camp owners. We hit 6 different lakes with pike walleye, and lake trout. Even found a burbot and a white fish. Mel will put you on the fish or give you hints and allow you too explore on your own.

For under $2000 for a full week its a great deal for an unforgetable trip. We caught 100's of fish daily including some very large pike.

Once i get all the pictures from the boys ill put together a details write up.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:31 PM

If your considering GSL perhaps have a look at Plumbers "Trophy Lodge" on GBL, I've been fortunate to go up twice now, there's monster Lakers as well Pike & lots of Grayling, but no Walleye.

My buddy from WPG sent me these, enjoy the pic's & good fishin ....

Z-z

Unofficial weight was 69lbs - Great Bear Lake, NWT

Same fellow a few years ago with one just over 60.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM

Zip thanks for putting those pictures up. I have fished GSL a fair amount on the eastern arm and been fortunate enough to catch and release a few that were 30+ with one that the guide thought might go mid 40"s. Just seeing a 60 -- WOW what a difference. Great pic's.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Tks 2 Tollers .... I worked out of Yellowknife for a number of years, lots of good fishin on GSL. When I was at GBL Trophy Lodge was lucky enough to get one Laker just over 51 lbs and lots in the 30/40+ lb range. Now that I'm retired, miss working & fishin North of 60.

D.