Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Gull lake on Saturday.. advise please

Hello, i am taking my buddys son fishing at Gull on Saturday and am wondering where is the best spot to access the lake for pike. i have an all wheel drive but no 4x4. It has been a few years from the last time i was there so any advise will help out lots. We are hoping to get a keeper to take home for dinner
Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Was on at Wilsons last weekend, got 3 pike, 7 whites!! New personal best 11.3lbs
Might be hard driving if it has continued to snow. No one got stuck real bad last weekend, but if you drive on at wilsons, and look south you will see tent city!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM

What is the best way to get to willsons coming from hwy2 south?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM

Have only been there a couple times, ummm lets see...
turn onto hwy 53 WEST, take it until you see a gas station on the left, turn at the gas station, follow that secondary road and watch for the signs to Wilsons beach on the right hand side.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Forget Wilsons beach area.....I could not get out to the spot with chains all around and 4x4....the new 6inchs of snow on top of the trail and hard crust with the water underneath made it impossible to follow the old trail and once you get off it the going is impossible. I turned around after 400yards. In fact I had to back out until I found an area that allowed me to turn around.

We did walk on....but that was also brutal with the water slush/soft/hard crust/soft top snow....constantly walking a few steps them breaking through.

On the plus side the fishing was good Tuesday.......caught three big pike....10lbs, 8lbs and 6.5lb...all out of the same hole......plus some whites.

My back and legs are sore today.....if we go out again it will be with sled and either snowshoes or ski's.......guys with the snowmobiles were getting stuck and having a hard time....even the guys with the big machine were struggling with the snow pack conditions.