Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 10:46 AM

Default Rookie looking for Fly rod/outfit

Hi All,

I'm sure this topic has been well covered but for some reason all my searches are coming up empty.

I'd like to get into fly fishing this year and would like some basic advice on what to look for in rods/reels/other gear to get me started.

I spend 95% of my time on the usual rivers and lakes in central and southern alberta.

I'm of the opinion that as with pretty much any sports gear. you get what you pay for. I would rather get something of good quality from the start rather than some cheapo stuff that might last a season or two...that said, i don't think that an $800 polyubercarbonfibreindestructo rod is in the cards.

Thanks in advance for your help!
HH
Old 03-23-2011, 12:05 PM

this horse has been beaten to death and then some.

get a temple fork 5 or 6 weight signature series about 9 feet with RIO line. and whatever reel you want. go cheap on the reel its basically only a line storage unless you hit huge fish.

best starting rod out there. cheap, durable, has a great warranty out of Calgary, and casts almost as well as the higher priced rods. It was my first fly rod and even after getting a sage I still use the temple fork the most.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM

yep, I agree that a Temple Fork Outfitters 5 or 6 weight would work well for your purposes.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM

tfo 6 weight 240 bucks. Rio line 80 bucks. Dont cheap out on a reel. Get a decent one. Its more than a line storage unit. A cheap reel will freewheel and you'll hate it. I use a sage 1800 series. 160 bucks. Love it.
Great system for under 500$.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 PM

The TFOs have been going up in price. At 200 for a four pcs rod at most retailers for a Signature they have crossed the line into some stiff competion.

There better rods are right up there in price with the rest of them.

At 199-225 the Redington RS4 is very nice rod and IMHO is a better rod then the Signature Series in every department.

The new Redington Pursuit at just over 100 for a 4 pc seems to me to be at least the same class of rod as the Signature and again IMO better.

For a med action the Sage Vantage feels better to me also for just slightly more. For a faster rod the Flight is around 300.

Admundson has some nice rods as well and the Pieroway's Element is very nice.

I resently purchased a CPX Redington and at 300-350 I think they are as nice as rods costing double that just a couple years ago.

I would do some shopping around for something that feels good to you. There is a lot of good rods available now for TFO money.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM

TFO 5/6 wt 9 foot signture series. comes with rod sock too with a 40 daller hobbs creek reel its a great reel for 40 bucks and id easly spend up to 100 bucks on it if the price went that high....cortland line is great 666. and a barry mitchels forestry trunk road is a great guide for begginer creeks ect.
flies a wooly bugger,leech,trucks tranucla,adam,caddis and a clouser minnow along with a few nymphs to get u started.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
The TFOs have been going up in price. At 200 for a four pcs rod at most retailers for a Signature they have crossed the line into some stiff competion.

There better rods are right up there in price with the rest of them.

At 199-225 the Redington RS4 is very nice rod and IMHO is a better rod then the Signature Series in every department.

The new Redington Pursuit at just over 100 for a 4 pc seems to me to be at least the same class of rod as the Signature and again IMO better.

For a med action the Sage Vantage feels better to me also for just slightly more. For a faster rod the Flight is around 300.

Admundson has some nice rods as well and the Pieroway's Element is very nice.

I resently purchased a CPX Redington and at 300-350 I think they are as nice as rods costing double that just a couple years ago.

I would do some shopping around for something that feels good to you. There is a lot of good rods available now for TFO money.
I totally agree with this analysis. TFO doesn't get my vote for best value for money. Their warranty is good, but that's about it. Amundson on the cheap side, Redington dollar for dollar and Sage on the high side, all offer better value for money IMO. Get a RIO gold line and any reel that suits your budget and away you go.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Banned

I tested a pieroway rod at the sportsman's show in edmonton.

The rod has a "loomiseee" type of loading action.

Anyone had problems with this company?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I tested a pieroway rod at the sportsman's show in edmonton.

The rod has a "loomiseee" type of loading action.

Anyone had problems with this company?
I love Pieroway. I have two of their rods and one of their reels, and my other rods pale in comparison. I doubt I will ever purchase any other brand in the future. The guys are phenomenal, as is the service. I can not recommend them highly enough.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:54 PM

Winston Passport Series, or the TFO BVK

Check the Bow River Troutfitters website for the Winston. $225

The BVK is a few places now. About $270.

And check out this 5 weight shootout.
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/Fly...pleforkBVK.asp
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 PM

I'd also go with a 5 or 6 weight for starters. Try out a Loomis if you get a chance. Canadian made and a damn fine rod in my opinion. Pflueger makes a very nice reel. I'd reccomend a medium or large arbor. I own two entry level TFO's ( o.k. for the money but cheap guides) and had a Sage entry level ( twice the price of the TFO's) rod for awhile that was a pleasure to cast. You can't go wrong with Rio line.
I've heard good things about Pieroway and St. Croix but have never tried either . Many good rods and reels out there. Personal preference and budget will dictate which brand name you choose.

Happy shopping!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
I'd also go with a 5 or 6 weight for starters. Try out a Loomis if you get a chance. Canadian made and a damn fine rod in my opinion. Pflueger makes a very nice reel. I'd reccomend a medium or large arbor. I own two entry level TFO's ( o.k. for the money but cheap guides) and had a Sage entry level ( twice the price of the TFO's) rod for awhile that was a pleasure to cast. You can't go wrong with Rio line.
I've heard good things about Pieroway and St. Croix but have never tried either . Many good rods and reels out there. Personal preference and budget will dictate which brand name you choose.

Happy shopping!
Gary sold out to Shimano....i believe the scrims went to Shimano's orient factory....so i dont think they are Canadian made now.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:47 PM

Gary Loomis is now working with TFO to design rods. Look for loomis quality coming out of TFO very soon in both their fly rods and spinning/baitcast rods.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Default starter setup.

Check out Hanson Outfitters down town Calgary. For $200 you get a day of lessons and they give you a rod, reel and line setup worth over $300.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggin View Post
Check out Hanson Outfitters down town Calgary. For $200 you get a day of lessons and they give you a rod, reel and line setup worth over $300.
#1 Son and I did Hanson's bootcamp last year (which includes the rod/reel/and floating line). We had a great time. It is excellent value.

I could (being a pretty savy shopper) probably purchase a comparable rod/reel/line for around $200, but the obvious (and huge) advantage of the Hanson's boot camp outfit is the day of lessons.

If I had never used a Pieroway rod, I'd probably be perfectly happy with my Hanson's 9' 6wt. I'm on the fence about replacing my Hanson's rod this year (with a Pieroway T96), as it just doesn't load as nicely as my Pieroways (E1166 & an 8.5' 5wt 3pc M-series that never became a production rod).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Gary Loomis is now working with TFO to design rods. Look for loomis quality coming out of TFO very soon in both their fly rods and spinning/baitcast rods.
The TFO BVK was one of the rods designed with Loomis' input.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM

have u considered making your own fly rod?>? peiroway can make that happen everyhting custom about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:29 PM

how about you just come out fishing with me. I still have a walmart reel/rod set up, a TFO basic set up, and then a nice okuma reel/rod setup. You can try all three, discover the difference, and see where you want/need to spend the money. I'm not the best in the world, but hey, i'll show you everything i know. Its how i learned. I had to buy everything i wanted to try, and wish i could have just tried it, so yeah, PM me and we'll meet up. You can decide on what you need from there.