Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Default Fly gear advice

So I was thinking of getting some fly fishing gear and getting stocked up for next year, maybe some this year if I can. What would be good gear for someone just starting out, dont have a ton of cash either.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM

Lots of beginner rods and reels on Kijiji and the Buy and Sell thread. For the Bow, Red Deer and similar sized rivers (as well as most smaller creeks in Southern Alberta) a 9' 5 wt or 6 wt rod will do (4 piece would be preferred but 2 piece rods are fine). Large Arbor reels are good, but not necessary when learning. One of the shops in Calgary provides lessons that include a rod, reel and line for about $200 all in!! My advise would be to go to a dedicated fly shop and ask some questions (tell them exactly what you've asked on here ) and see what they recommend. Also lots of info on the interweb for getting you started and to develop that question list...

PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you and to send you some shops that will give you good advise for free!!

You shouldn't have to spend more then $150 to get you a good basic set up to learn on!!

P
Old 10-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Yea I found one on kijiji, $130 for all this

-Redington Crosswater Rod (Length:8'6" Line: #5 2pc) Two piece rod.
-Orvis Clear water classic reel.
-Trout Taper Scientific Angler Sharkskin line.
-Crystal River Fly Vest.
-Plano Rod Carrying Case.
-Two fly boxes loaded with various flies(see picture).
-Fly fishing gloves.
-Splitshots.
-Various other fly fishing accessories
I looked up the rod and it seems like a reliable rod and lots of people have good things to say about it as a beginner rod. Not sure about the line if thats a big deal or not. Seem like a good deal?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 PM

And for learning. I have been watching old school videos by Mel Kreiger. He seems to make sense when showing the techniques.

http://www.melkrieger.com/

Some videos available through the usual methods the kiddies use, but $100 for all the videos aren't bad considering the wealth of knowledge Mel has to offer. Plus you help keep his wife Pam fed.

The Orvis Guide To Beginning Fly Fishing: 101 Tips For The Absolute Beginner. is a good read to get you started. (was for me)

Search up Brian Chan on Youtube for some great tips and learning. Search with this string for best results " Brian Chan Fly Fishing -Origami -DJ " then you wont see Origami or DJ related crud in your search.

You might pay a little more for gear at specialty fly shops, but they are not there just to sell you stuff. Go to the store with a couple of questions in your brain and ask them when you get there.

I bought a fairly cheap TFO kit (Temple Fork Outfitters) from Bass Pro to start last spring. The Staff there was knowledgeable for the area and they helped me fill in the blanks. I could have saved $10 buying from Crappy Tire, but would never have been able to talk to anyone at CT who would know a fly rod from a down rigger.

My Next stop is Fish Tales in Calgary. I hear awesome things about that shop. They have lots of classes/learning sessions it seems. Too bad it's always on Sundays (No weekends off EVER for me).

If I could do it again I would have went to Fish Tales first.

But don't take my word for it. I only got out 3 times this year with the fly rod and the only thing I hooked was myself as you can see here.

Do work, get paid, catch fish.
www.koldfusion.ca
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 PM

I was reading the Orvis guide earlier actually and it was great. Ill have to go back to bass pro or cabellas and talk to someone there and get some more info. Ill check out those videos too.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM

Yes that sounds like a pretty decent set up and deal. Sharkskin is a good line, albeit noisy (also, depends how old it is and how it has been taken care of - cleaned, etc.). Make sure to inquire as to warrantee (not sure if those specific rods are 1 year or lifetime), also it's age and if it has been sent in for warrantee, repairs, replacement, etc.

Reel is a basic click and pawl but will be all that you need to learn with

Does the vest fit you or is to an xxl (and you are a med?! LoL)

I say go for it!!

P
Old 10-30-2012, 07:33 PM

I agree with Uberfly. $120 is cheap if the gear is in decent shape. Make sure there are no nicks on the rod obviously.

Also, get waders. I would go so far as to say they are required. Unless you like to frozen legs/feet.

www.koldfusion.ca
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Ill make sure to be sure everything is in good shape, the reviews said that rod has a factory defect warranty on it. Not sure how long or how long he has had it, gota look into it.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinCrazyy View Post
Ill make sure to be sure everything is in good shape, the reviews said that rod has a factory defect warranty on it. Not sure how long or how long he has had it, gota look into it.
Careful with that redington...

Had one of those a year or two back as a back up rod... Busted last year (along with a few others ), they will not and do not replace the tips of those rods (if its past 6 or 12 months).. Basically, I had to buy a new rod.. I will never get a redington again, their customer service is brutal.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

-Crystal River Fly Vest.
-Fly fishing gloves.
-Splitshots.
I looked up the rod and it seems like a reliable rod and lots of people have good things to say about it as a beginner rod. Not sure about the line if thats a big deal or not. Seem like a good deal?
IMO that is a great place to start with pretty decent gear...if you decide you like fly fishing upgrade the rod in a year or two...great price for all that...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM

It is a good price.. just treat it nicely =)

It really is a good rod for beginners, just hope you have better luck than I
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM

That's funny... I've had exceptional customer service from Redington. I've owned 4 (3 cpx's and 1 ct), just sold 1 of the cpxs ... Broke a couple of tips, guides, and even a butt section. Even lost a tip and they replaced it after initially saying they would not!! $35 plus shipping and no problems! I tend to send them from the U S as its much cheaper to mail things through USPS then Canada Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Careful with that redington...

Had one of those a year or two back as a back up rod... Busted last year (along with a few others ), they will not and do not replace the tips of those rods (if its past 6 or 12 months).. Basically, I had to buy a new rod.. I will never get a redington again, their customer service is brutal.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
So I was thinking of getting some fly fishing gear and getting stocked up for next year, maybe some this year if I can. What would be good gear for someone just starting out, dont have a ton of cash either.
Hi!

I have two TFOs for sell, an axiom 4wt, with reel with 4wt line and extra spool with 5wt floating line with sink tip integrated: $270 and a BVK 6wt no reel included, for $190. Both of them bought in april-may 2012. I'm upgrading for next season, so I'm selling it.

PM if interested. Both have the warranty unregistred.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Is it OK that people start out with these cheaper rods like Reddington and TFO?

By that I specifically mean is the performance difference so far from that of a top shelf model where a beginner would see a real difference?

I was figuring I would start cheapish for many reasons including the fear of breaking a $500+ rod by using it incorrectly learning how to cast, carry, or bring in fish.

I have tried some bottom shelf models that are just horrible due to cheap guides, handles, and reels so cheap they line jams between the spool and the frame.

TFO has a lifetime no fault warranty. $30 or so per section.

I can't give a honest opinion about my TFO rod because right now the problem exists between rod and the ground. But I do love it so far.

www.koldfusion.ca
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM

A little off topic but are there streams or rivers that are fishable year round, like no ice or anything?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

yeah you can try The Creek From Hell. Spring fed creek west of red deer. Stays open in lots of parts all winter.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM

There can be a HUGE preformance diffierence between cheap rods and expensive rods, it all depends on which cheap rod your buying. The upper end TFO's (which are still pretty cheap) are decent rods, and the difference isn't so great. The problem with buying cheap stuff first is that you will be replacing it. If you fish often, you will get the hang of fly fishing fairly quickly and then you will be looking to improve your casting in both accuracy and distance. If you bought a cheap rod to start with the only way to improve your distance and accuracy will be to upgrade the rod. For eg.
Quote:
Hi!

I have two TFOs for sell, an axiom 4wt, with reel with 4wt line and extra spool with 5wt floating line with sink tip integrated: $270 and a BVK 6wt no reel included, for $190. Both of them bought in april-may 2012. I'm upgrading for next season, so I'm selling it.

PM if interested. Both have the warranty unregistred.
He bought them this year and already he is upgrading. If you think your going to be fishing a fair amount, spend as much as you can afford, and then you may not feel you have to upgrade so soon.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM

I found TFO's to be a good rod for the money. I had to get tips for my 10wt and replaced the 9wt once. All from whacking them with streamers. The nice part is they are serviced in Calgary. They are a bit stiff, seem to like a line or two heavier than the rod.
I have some Orvis rods also, my 5wt is really a favorite.
On thing to consider, is where the price point is, for the 25yr or lifetime slam it in the door warranties kick in. If you buy a cheap rod,say 100-150.00, break it, then buy another rod, you are up into that price range.
Reels are another story, cheap SA or similar click drags function just fine for most purposes. You can upgrade to nicer disc drags and spend a fortune on them and upper end rods down the road.
Fish Tales and Country Pleasures are good places to go check out, great people to deal with and learn from.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:59 PM

depending on you $ range, I got a 4 wt TFO, which was perfect to learn, and get addicted with. Was nice fishing the sheep, highwood, livingston and other creeks/small rivers. I brought a rainbow in on the bow with it, but would prefer my 7 wt there

It came in under $300 for rod, reel, fly line, backing, tippet, indicators, 75 flies from icky, rod case, gink. Also added about 45$ for a vest.

Since than, I've bought a tube, waders, 7wt rod, reel, 2nd spool, fly tying stuff, more fly tying stuff, and more tying stuff... amongst other stuff.

Welcome to the addiction
Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:

-Crystal River Fly Vest.
-Fly fishing gloves.
-Splitshots.
That sounds like a heck of a deal, if you are getting into the sport I would not spend a ton of money on a rod just yet. It's like anything else, get your feet wet and see what you need, when the time comes you will at least know what you are looking for in an upgrade. 130 bucks is a pretty cheap in, into the sport. When you know what you want then it can get expensive real fast, but you can recoup at least a little selling off your starter gear.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

I don't think you can go wrong with the Crosswater, that's the rod I got when I came back to fly fishing after 15 years of not casting. I've been back at this for about 5 years and I'm not sure I agree with some of the conventional wisdom regarding rods and rod action.

One thing that comes up a lot is the idea that faster action rods will get you more distance, IME this isn't really a big deal. I can cast the whole line with that crosswater, takes a bit more muscle than my faster action rods but I can get a 100ft cast. However, I have NEVER been in a fishing situation where I cast 100ft, ever.

It all depends on what kind of fishing you're going to be doing. Your profile says Innisfail, I'd say that a medium action 5 weight in the perfect rod for a lot of the creek and river fishing in the Red Deer drainage. You're going to need to cast 30-40ft and have it come down nice and light when dry fly fishing, some of those super stiff fast rods barely flex with only 30ft of line. You'll have a little power with the 5 weight to handle a couple split shot and an indicator when nymphing too. That's why I wouldn't suggest going lighter than a 5, I love my 3 weight for spring creeks but it doesn't handle well with heavy flies or streamers.

Now if you're going to fish lakes a bit it's nice to be able to reach out there, especially from shore. This is where it is tempting to get a rod that can throw 80ft casts without as much effort. Again IME this is not gonna work, you can't find many places where you can make an 80ft back cast on shore unless you like climbing pine trees to retrieve your flies. Just buy a boat.

If you were going to be fishing a big river like the Bow where you need heavy flies to hit bottom or primarily fishing big streamers you might find a stiffer rod nice. That's the thing that you get when you start spending more on rods, stiffer and lighter. For a good caster with a crisp stroke that stiffness will give them more accuracy at distance with dries and an easier time handling the heavy stuff. For somebody just learning a stiffer rod can be a real bastard to cast.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM

Go around to the fly shops such as Bow River Troutfitters, Country Pleasures, Fishtales, Southbow etc and ask if someone can take the time to answer all of your questions for you. I also believe there is a shop in Red Deer called Streamweaver?

Put some rods in your hands, see if you can go and cast them even if you don't know how to cast the rod. Someone from the flyshop should be able to get you started with your casting. You will feel a difference when casting a rod and you will be able to see which rod will feel better in your hands.

Questions you should ask yourself before you go buy
What is your budget? Remember to look at investing more money into the rod, the line and then the reel. For trout fishing the rod and line combination are the most important. The reel adds the bling factor but you can get away with cheaping out on the reel as you will find you will strip your line in when recasting and fighting most fish.

Where are you going fishing? Do you think you will spend most of your time on the Bow River, exploring the Brown trout streams? Cutty streams? Lakes?
5wt's and 6wt's will handle most if not all of your choices on where you will be fishing. I find 5wts a little better for dry fly fishing whereas the 6wt will have more backbone to toss streamers and heavy nymph rigs.

Length of rod is also important, the shorter the rod, the more accurate you are with it. Shorter rods are also good on the smaller streams. The longer the rod the more line control you have with the line after it has been cast. It makes it easier to mend the line to get a good drift. Lake fisherman seem to lean towards the longer rods as well.

Remember, fly fishing is not about casting for distance. It is better to be able to cast accurately, delicately and be able to control your line to get a drag free drift. Sure it looks impressive to be able to cast all of your fly line out but in our neck of the woods, you only tend to do that in the field to practise and show off. Maybe some drinking games.

Do you want a 2pc rod or a multi piece rod. Years ago, the extra pieces affected the action of the rod. With today's resins and tapers you won't notice a difference between a 2pc and a 4pc rod in the same model. I lean towards the 4pc rod as it is easier to store and pack with you.

Welcome to your new addiction, you will enjoy it.

K
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Well the guy from kijiji is not replying to me Where would be the best place to get a deal close to that, going to look at different websites today for gear but if I could find one place with the stuff I need that would be great.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Banned

Cool

go to fishing gear for sale ,right now ABB has what you want posted, wont beat the deal hes offering.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM

That's the info I was looking for.
I find my TFO NXT II 5/6w 9' 4pc rod pretty decent, but I have never used better to compare to. When in Winnipeg this summer I used my cousins el-cheapo combo deal from CDN tire. I could notice a HUGE difference right away.

So that got me thinking how much better a top shelf rod and reel would feel.

I bought the TFO NXT II combo with the specific purpose to fish the Bow. I knew ultra cheap gear would hinder me. But with all the different styles of fly rods I did not want to break the bank and buy something that didn't suit my needs.

Which is good because I enjoy fishing smaller water more and will be buying lighter gear this season.

I will also be taking casting lessons. There is only so much I can learn on my own with the help of Mel Kreiger. hehe.

PS: If you buy a TFO combo, buy new line and replace it right away.

www.koldfusion.ca
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Sounds good, Ill keep that in mind if I end up buying one and gunner I pm'd ABB about his stuff and hopefully get everything setup and get it from him this week some time.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM

As far as learning to cast I think the best way is maybe a few mins in the backyard with a small dry tied on. Cast until you can lay out 15-20 feet of line and leader then its off to your favorite creek or pond. For me lessons would have been a waste of money. Its probably the same with everyone who fly fishes. If you didn't take a lesson would you have given up? Of course not. Save the 200 bucks and just get out and do it. Maybe watch a few YouTube videos to sort out the line leader fly combos and you should be ready.

Welcome to the sport!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Fly fishing is an activity!!!

sport/spôrt/Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
Welcome to the sport!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
For me lessons would have been a waste of money. Its probably the same with everyone who fly fishes. If you didn't take a lesson would you have given up? Of course not. Save the 200 bucks and just get out and do it.
I want to see if I have any bad habits that need to be drilled out. There is few things worse than doing something for years only to find out there was a better way to do it the whole time.

I don't have anyone to fish with, or any mentors to learn from. So I feel for me lessons would be worth the time and money.

www.koldfusion.ca
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoldFusion View Post
I want to see if I have any bad habits that need to be drilled out. There is few things worse than doing something for years only to find out there was a better way to do it the whole time.

I don't have anyone to fish with, or any mentors to learn from. So I feel for me lessons would be worth the time and money.
Im just getting into it too. Maybe im out to lunch here,but i decided not to do lessons. Because if you look at enough how to cast vids, you will notice many have different ways to there there casting. Some use there wrist some dont,some hold elbow in some dont. So other than sticking to a few basics which are a must i think if one just practices lots it works out. Ive been practicing in a high ceiling building lots and am now getting it out there pretty good. So i figure if i can get it out there gently and catch fish then thats good enough,ill be happy.
Ive been practicing with a old very stiff junk rod of a friends. I think im going to get a Sage Vantage 9ft 4 pce #5 or possibly a #6 not sure on this yet.. Nice soft rod along with the Pfluger Trion reel and Rio Mainstream WF line. These all seem to have good reviews and are fairly medium in price. Im not looking to upgrade later as im getting on in years and am getting into it a little late in life as it is. So wanted fairly good but not premium stuff.

Last edited by cranky; 11-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.