Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Im just getting into it too. Maybe im out to lunch here,but i decided not to do lessons. Because if you look at enough how to cast vids, you will notice many have different ways to there there casting. Some use there wrist some dont,some hold elbow in some dont. So other than sticking to a few basics which are a must i think if one just practices lots it works out. Ive been practicing in a high ceiling building lots and am now getting it out there pretty good. So i figure if i can get it out there gently and catch fish then thats good enough,ill be happy.
Ive been practicing with a old very stiff junk rod of a friends. I think im going to get a Sage Vantage 9ft 4 pce #5 or possibly a #6 not sure on this yet.. Nice soft rod along with the Pfluger Trion reel and Rio Mainstream WF line. These all seem to have good reviews and are fairly medium in price. Im not looking to upgrade later as im getting on in years and am getting into it a little late in life as it is. So wanted fairly good but not premium stuff.
Try and get a Rio gold line instead of the mainstream, i've had a few of the mainstream line ups and they just suck (durability, casting ability and etc compared to the gold). Fly line for casting is one of the most crucial pieces of the puzzle. The rod choice is very good for a learner though.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Try and get a Rio gold line instead of the mainstream, i've had a few of the mainstream line ups and they just suck (durability, casting ability and etc compared to the gold). Fly line for casting is one of the most crucial pieces of the puzzle. The rod choice is very good for a learner though.
Will do on the Gold,not much difference in price anyhow and had considered it too. Thanks.