Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Tough crowd. You get what you pay for. Would you expect your truck, quad, tires, boat motor, depth founder, fishing reel, rod, rangefinder or any other manufacturer of product to reimburse you for lost opportunity on a hunting or fishing trip or missed work when one of their products breaks down and wrecks your hunting trip or day at work too? What if your ammo or gun misfires. I think we need to be a little more realistic when we buy a budget scope and expect it to be as reliable as scopes that cost twice as much. For the most part the vast majority of vortex owners are happy with the product.
After talking to Vortex a few years ago about their product and its quality. That they would put their scopes up against any other manufacturer for quality and reliability. Yes I would ask them to do just what I have asked above. Especially after having failures of two of their manufactured scopes.
Only one way to build up customer confidence in their product is to put their money where their mouth is so to speak.

To answer your question yes I have had a car manufacturer pay for a trips expenses due to their known warranty issue with one of their trucks. They reimbursed me a couple grand for their issue.

Do I really expect Vortex or any other company to do so. Nope, but to be honest a good warranty is only good in the event that a unforeseen issue comes up. Should not be a common problem.
Build it right the first time, build it right for life.

As for buying a budget scope compared to others in price range. I remember the conversation with the Vortex Reps in Abbotsford a few years ago. We are offering at such a good price because we are new and trying to break into the market. We are offering a awesome warranty to provide customer confidence in a new product.

Considering all said and done I would love to write a review of their product and confidently say that they had a QC issue on initial production run of the scope model I had issues with now they have rectified those issues and I strongly recommend their scopes. At this point from their response written and verbal I doubt very much I will ever.
Saying if you have any further problems just send it back we will take care of it. Check out what we have in the near future coming out, it will lead the industry.
I know I am a nobody who in the industry, I also know that I what I have to say has little to nothing to do with how many scopes they will sell. But I personally would love to have their confidence of their product. Honestly I wont loose any sleep over It either. Deep down in side I would like to see them redeem themselves with me.
On to the price of the optic, if you sell it, you market it an you stand behind it. Why cant it work the way you advertise it?
For $1000 I don't think that is to much to ask. Considering what the actual cost to manufacture these scopes is.

Cheers.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not sure what you mean, but there have been several people who have had issues with Leupold and were given full warranty the people here who have had issues with Vortex and were given full warranty as well.
There was a big thing a few years back about Leupold a few years back and there warranty issues because the scope was ought om a particular dealer that the were not covered by Korth.All sorts of accusations and assumptions ensued.

Bottom line was , that if you bought t o a dealer who dealt with Korth, fine.
If you bought it from a dealer who dealt directly with a U.S. agent, you took the scope back to them for warranty service. had no dog in that fight, but could clearly see that was the case long before it was brought to light.

I'm not sue what the big deal here is except we tend t gang up on dales and brands a lot some of us stating things when we have had no direct experience with the brand or dealer.
Cat
Both Korth and Vortex are reported as providing very good warranty service to their customers. We can only guess their comparative frequency or rates of needed service or replacement.

The Korth distribution / grey market issue is understood by most. Korth does not want to warranty items they did not sell. It is not uncommon for distributors to provide warranty without the ability to back-charge the manufacturer. I have no knowledge of Korth's distribution agreement with Leupold. If Leupold does not fully compensate Korth for the full cost of warranty work performed, then I can understand why Korth would decline to provide service, especially for products sold to a large US customer like Bass Pro or Cabela's that are direct accounts with 'special' discounts. For all we know, these large direct accounts may buy more and pay less than Korth.

AFAIK, the issue is further complicated by common counterfeit Leupold scope forgeries, which were built by 'who knows', but were not sold by either Leupold or Korth.

I do not know if there are any counterfeit Vortex scopes, or if that fact is significant.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:14 PM

The point I was trying to make is that if Korth dies not warranty a genuine Leupold scope the place where the person brought it from will because they obviously did not buy it through Korth.
Pretty simple , not complicated at all .
Cat
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The point I was trying to make is that if Korth dies not warranty a genuine Leupold scope the place where the person brought it from will because they obviously did not buy it through Korth.
Pretty simple , not complicated at all .
Cat
I suspect that a buyer of a second hand (non Korth) Leupold scope might have a problem finding service without sending it back to Leupold USA, and that may involve border issues when re-exporting the repaired or especially replaced scope from the USA as it will have a different serial number and may be a different model.

I doubt that BassPro or Cabela's would provide warranty to a second owner or without an original sales slip. IIRC, Prophet River? and some other Canadian retailers also sell grey market scopes that might have similar issues.

Korth has a good database of the serial numbers of the scopes that they sold, and will tell the prospective buyer of a used scope if they will provide service and warranty for it. They have always been very helpful for me.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM

Default Vortex

My first hunting rifle was handed down and came topped with a scopechief IV. It worked, until the day it got bent. Not sure how it happened but the scope was peckered and time for a new one. I picked up the diamond back series for my 7mm. I love it, the only thing its missing is the parallax adjustment. The low light visibility is great. I was happy with that scope. I bought a pair of diamond back binos. Great binos too, the low light with them is incredible. To dark to see with the naked eye, yet these binos allow hundreds of yards of view. So came the time to buy a smaller caliber rifle. Its topped with a vortex aswell. The crossfire, Excellent. I have yet to have issues. Im hoping to retire the ol Shultz&Larsen this summer and build a rifle. It will be topped with a viper, the diamondback will be going on the .243 and the crossfire will be going on the .22 then that bushnell is going straight to the garbage can lol.

Iv mostly owned bushnell products in the past, Figured it was time to join the real world and here I am. All my friends have atleast one vortex product. 4 of us have the same binos actually. For the $$ you cant go wrong
Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 PM

Just sent my Viper in for warranty today. I included a letter requesting details on the failure, and what they have done to rectify what seems like repeating common failures. Now we will see if they reply to my request or not.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 PM

I had a Diamond Back and took it back asap

I had a Viper which seemed to be okay, but I sold it.

After reading this thread, I just can no longer see why anyone would want to shell out good cash for one.

YMMV.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:49 PM

Regarding Cabelas and Leupold. When I contacted Korth about a month ago they said they accepted scopes bought from Cabelas for warranty work.

If I was going to purchase a Leupold from Cabelas, I would contact Korth to make sure.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Regarding Cabelas and Leupold. When I contacted Korth about a month ago they said they accepted scopes bought from Cabelas for warranty work.

If I was going to purchase a Leupold from Cabelas, I would contact Korth to make sure.
Bought two vx3 4-14x40 CDS scopes at Cabelas. Korth cut the turrets free of charge.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:15 AM

I think my issues with Vortex was their First Focal Plane scope.

Their Rangefinder has worked awesome for me and my friends who have bought them.
Their Binos have worked well for the 3 sets I encouraged guys to buy.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Precisionshooter

Vortex USA has been first rate! Shamus was the fellows name if memory serves me correct. Canadian side....note so much but it has been some time since the vortex razor Gen I.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:05 PM

I understand why people like vortex they have marketed themselves very well and have made a lot of noise over the years. But when I can look at the diamondback hp and the crossfires amd see the color distortion it bugs me. I recently bought the viper hs (got it for a good deal) I am pleased with it for the money but I would sooner put leupold vx3 on it any day of the week. I've ran leupolds since I can remember and not once have I had a issue. That being said I know the guys at korth are very good to deal with and help you anyway possible. But that's just my two cents
Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 PM

I had viper and it was on model 100 308,first clip was fine reloaded and the whole thing went sideways inside,gave me a new one so far so good.

All these mass produced scopes with run over the by truck warrantee are all on the same playing field on the production line,some days everyones on the ball and the odd time human error slips by and a whole case or 2 can be not built to specks,VORTEX,BUSHNELL,SCORPION,BURRIS leuplod you name it are all made in a fast paced lineup's and the odd one is checked and off they go.

Doesn't mean there scopes are terrible,it just means human error occurs in fast pace lines,i have all 5 of these brands and tested them to the nutz and I think they won't let me down.My z6 Swarovski 's or or ziess's are very dependable ,but look at young hunters and if they want a new z6 plus half ass gun 5000,not to many new hunters or older hunters can afford rigs like this.

Go back a few decades to now and there are still tons of tasco's and simmons or Bushnell's on every gun at sport shows and online.I tried the new scorpion venom max there high end one on a 7mm,is it better than my Swarovski,no way is the Swarovski 4 times better than that venom max no way,nice glass and built solid,put it on 338 win and loaded it to the nutz and it held it's zero perfect and it was -20 and shot not to bad of groups,would I put a lower end scope my bigger cals,if I was on a budget I would put a low end banner if I had to,plus don't ever think that top end scopes don't break either ,that's why every scope dealer in Canada has a repair or replace or repair and send away.I still have an older bausch and lomb I bought 25 years ago for 150 or so and it's still on the same gun,works great.IF there is a default in most scopes it will happen right away.Drop your rifle the wrong way with a 4000 dollar piece of glass and the banner is worth more.

Also lotsa brands out there and the ones who fell behind are starting to make way better stuff and vortex is here to stay along with a few other brands plus some of mid range stuff is losing ground.If your using a lead sled don't bother crying about your scope,a guy snapped his stock the other day online.

Last edited by JD848; 02-01-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboots View Post
While I didn't personally use or have to use the warranty, but my dad and Cousin both have, both times traded their scopes in for the same model and continue to have the same problem. finally sold both their scopes.
What I've personally found, the regular diamondbacks are a great replacement for the standard scopes that come on rifles. as for the higher class scopes (HSLP, Viper etc) we've found that they are junk. better to spend the money right the first time, get a scope that you can trust not something that may need to use the "amazing warranty"
Spend the same amount and get a something like a Leupold, also has lifetime warranty, never have issues, and if you do have any issues there is a local dealer/repair place, (Korth group in Okotoks) will fix free of charge, and if the scope is done you will get the same if not better scope. return shipping paid and everything.

I know this is the vendor posting it so Im going to expect some heavy product pushing, and no offence but Ive lost my trust in Vortex. I have 2 dimondbacks on 2 of my rifles, they arent bad, but the clarity just isnt there for me.
Yeah and the Leupold is made in the U.S.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Your assumption is that Vortex replaced the scope on their being a manufacturing issue causing the failure. Sometimes companies replace things out of goodwill. I am not saying this is the cause but due to the high volume of good Vortex product I have seen, when there are two very similar failures, the scope is not the only common factor in the issue. From what I have been told at WSS one time was that you can run a Vortex over with your truck and as long as you return 51% of the product its covered. So if someone basically used it as a hammer and got it warrantied, its almost like Vortex is accepting guilt for the product. This may be one of those cases were no good deed goes unpunished.

Here is a excerpt from their warranty.
Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, and monoculars.
•Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
•Fully transferable
•No warranty card to fill out
•No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.
Leupold has the same warranty, is made in the U.S. and has been in business for over 100 years.
Most everyone in the scope manufacturing is offering a lifetime warranty, but none of the others have been around that long. Warranty is provided at a cost based on amount of returns expected by manufacturer and is only provided as long as the manufacturer is in business. So lets take a look at a couple of examples based on Cabellas prices;

Scope manufactured off shore retailing for 299.99. Allowing for cost of bribing sales staff with free scopes based on number of sales made + 50%(guessing on this based on amount of reports of multiple returns by same individuals) returns before customer sells scope and moves on to different product scope likely cost 75.00 landed in Canada.

Leupold VX1 359.99 manufactured in U.S. offering lifetime warranty and has since they built their first scope in 1946. Will not pay sales staff to sell their product because they don't feel they need to. (So when a guy on the gun counter tells you a Leupold is the best bet you know he has YOUR best interest at heart). Warranty required 5% of all sales. Product likely cost at least 2.5 times more than import scope to build.

Bottom line I will buy the scope that has been offering a lifetime warranty that started before my lifetime over one that started recently. Has worked best for me for over 40 years and see no reason to change, but that is my choice and everyone will need to make their own. Choices change with experience and we all seem to come to our choices on our own. I have only needed to send one Leupold scope in for warranty and it was a used one I bought with a gun. Got a new one in replacement for it as it was around 40 years old and parts were discontinued. At that rate I will continue to buy Leupold and let my grandchildren worry about warranty
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 AM

While a good warranty is nice to have, the best warranty is one that never gets used. When I hear many reports about great warranty service, I am wondering why warranty was required so often with the product. And while It's good to know that optics that fail in the field will be repaired or replaced without any issues, the lost opportunity that resulted from the failed optics, is lost forever. For that reason, great warranty will never convince me to purchase a product with reliability issues.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While a good warranty is nice to have, the best warranty is one that never gets used. When I hear many reports about great warranty service, I am wondering why warranty was required so often with the product. And while It's good to know that optics that fail in the field will be repaired or replaced without any issues, the lost opportunity that resulted from the failed optics, is lost forever. For that reason, great warranty will never convince me to purchase a product with reliability issues.
I have used Vortex's warranty and it was due to me slipping and smashing my binos... Vortex replaced them for the cost of shipping, is it a warranty? According to vortex yes. This has nothing to do with their product quality.

Tell me what would Zeiss, Nighthorse, Schmidt & Bender do for me if I smashed my optics...... they'd happily sell me another
Old 12-24-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I have used Vortex's warranty and it was due to me slipping and smashing my binos... Vortex replaced them for the cost of shipping, is it a warranty? According to vortex yes. This has nothing to do with their product quality.

Tell me what would Zeiss, Nighthorse, Schmidt & Bender do for me if I smashed my optics...... they'd happily sell me another
Actually I had a Zeiss scope damaged in a horse wreck while sheep hunting, and Zeiss repaired it free of charge. A Swarovski scope was damaged when it was knocked onto some rocks, and Swarovski repaired it free of charge. Again, nothing to do with defective products, but they were repaired under warranty anyways. As for actual warranty, due to defective products, I have only had a couple of scopes that failed, and both were lower priced scopes that I purchased at a great discount to try out. Since then, I avoid the lower end optics.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I suspect that a buyer of a second hand (non Korth) Leupold scope might have a problem finding service without sending it back to Leupold USA, and that may involve border issues when re-exporting the repaired or especially replaced scope from the USA as it will have a different serial number and may be a different model.

I doubt that BassPro or Cabela's would provide warranty to a second owner or without an original sales slip.
Korth now warranties all leupold scopes no matter what retailer sold them.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:30 PM

I have never owned a Vortex product. In 25+ years of shooting scoped rifles, I have never had a scope failure. Never sent one in for warranty or repair. My main rifles wear Zeiss and Meopta but my other ones have Leupold, VOMZ, Tasco and other brands. Tell me again why I need a Vortex?
Old 12-24-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Satisfied customers make the best and most effective salesmen.

My personal philosophy,

Don't buy anything you do not need, but if you need it, buy the best.
Quality and good design are always the best value.
Buy once, cry once.

Good Luck, YMMV.
^^^ X's 2.

This is the ship I want to sail on.

Two thumbs up.

Don
Old 12-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Banned

I own a few Vortex products and never had to use the warranty, mind you I have or still own Bushnell, Tasco, Mueller, as well and have never used their warranty either.
I do not or will probably not ever own a Leupold product as I don't believe I have ever heard of someone who did own one that has not praised their great warranty service. Great to have good warranty service, and I am sure with all the practice Leupold appear to get there is no one better at it.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
My thoughts exactly
Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precloading View Post
Leupold has the same warranty, is made in the U.S. and has been in business for over 100 years.
Most everyone in the scope manufacturing is offering a lifetime warranty, but none of the others have been around that long. Warranty is provided at a cost based on amount of returns expected by manufacturer and is only provided as long as the manufacturer is in business. So lets take a look at a couple of examples based on Cabellas prices;

Scope manufactured off shore retailing for 299.99. Allowing for cost of bribing sales staff with free scopes based on number of sales made + 50%(guessing on this based on amount of reports of multiple returns by same individuals) returns before customer sells scope and moves on to different product scope likely cost 75.00 landed in Canada.

Leupold VX1 359.99 manufactured in U.S. offering lifetime warranty and has since they built their first scope in 1946. Will not pay sales staff to sell their product because they don't feel they need to. (So when a guy on the gun counter tells you a Leupold is the best bet you know he has YOUR best interest at heart). Warranty required 5% of all sales. Product likely cost at least 2.5 times more than import scope to build.

Bottom line I will buy the scope that has been offering a lifetime warranty that started before my lifetime over one that started recently. Has worked best for me for over 40 years and see no reason to change, but that is my choice and everyone will need to make their own. Choices change with experience and we all seem to come to our choices on our own. I have only needed to send one Leupold scope in for warranty and it was a used one I bought with a gun. Got a new one in replacement for it as it was around 40 years old and parts were discontinued. At that rate I will continue to buy Leupold and let my grandchildren worry about warranty
Most Leupold scopes are not made in the US, and Leupold doesn't have a no-fault warranty policy.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precloading View Post
Yeah and the Leupold is made in the U.S.
Assembled in the USA using lenses and other parts made in other countries.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Obviously a good warranty is desirable, but once a customer has experienced multiple failures of a product , simply repairing or replacing the product is not going to restore the customer's confidence in that product. I myself would never risk the outcome of a hunt, on a product that I don't have confidence in, so I would do exactly what ctd has done under the circumstance that he found himself in.
Right you are, and no matter how much the offer is to replace/repair it , it still leaves one with confidence issues in their gear.

But, that is the same with anything one buys ...say as in a vehicle.
How man Ford 6.0L owners where bitten and still drive that truck or Fords for that matter.
Seems Reg is fighting a loosing battle with some.

Me, Ill stick with Leupold for fit , function and aesthetics on my rifles.
Not hacking Vortex, I think they have a good product and tossed their name to prospective buyers to consider , but they just are not for me .

They sound like a stand up company, but obviously not everyone can be happy.

Rob
Old 12-30-2017, 08:23 AM

After seeing one poor fellow have successive failures of 4 different Vortex products, I'm convinced to never buy any Vortex products. All the wonderful warranty does you no good if the products keep failing when you need them the most.

With that in mind I've only ever had one optics failure that I sent away for warranty work. It was a Bausch and Lomb Balver 2.5-10x40 riflescope, Bushnell tried to breath life into it but in the end replaced it with a 4200 Elite.

I currently own over a dozen pieces of Leupold, at least 10 Bushnell, and a half dozen Nikon, and a few Redfield, 1 Zeiss, 1 Sightron, and 1 Weaver.

Knock wood as they say.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
After seeing one poor fellow have successive failures of 4 different Vortex products, I'm convinced to never buy any Vortex products. All the wonderful warranty does you no good if the products keep failing when you need them the most.

With that in mind I've only ever had one optics failure that I sent away for warranty work. It was a Bausch and Lomb Balver 2.5-10x40 riflescope, Bushnell tried to breath life into it but in the end replaced it with a 4200 Elite.

I currently own over a dozen pieces of Leupold, at least 10 Bushnell, and a half dozen Nikon, and a few Redfield, 1 Zeiss, 1 Sightron, and 1 Weaver.

Knock wood as they say.
One person “said” they had multiple issues while others said they have had no problems of any kind. Yet you let that one person determine that you will never own the product. You must have a difficult time buying a vehicle as it would be considerably easier to find several people to dispute the quality/warranty of every make and model of vehicles being made. I myself would never let someone else determine what i did or did not own, would i use it as something to watch for, certainly, but that goes both ways good and bad. I find leopold to have problems as well, several people including myself have had these scopes where you need two hands to zoom it. I just leave mine on 6 and live with it. The zeiss conquest is in the same price range as the III/3 leopold but has glass that is easily noticeably more clear yet people still buy the leopold for name and appearance as they are a good looking scope with nice available lense covers but noticeable lesser quality than the zeiss in the same price point. Now I certainly would not expect anyone to write a comment saying they would never buy a leopold because some guy on the internet says the zoom ring “always” is too stiff or that the Zeiss is ugly compared to a Leopold.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
One person “said” they had multiple issues while others said they have had no problems of any kind. Yet you let that one person determine that you will never own the product. You must have a difficult time buying a vehicle as it would be considerably easier to find several people to dispute the quality/warranty of every make and model of vehicles being made. I myself would never let someone else determine what i did or did not own, would i use it as something to watch for, certainly, but that goes both ways good and bad. I find leopold to have problems as well, several people including myself have had these scopes where you need two hands to zoom it. I just leave mine on 6 and live with it. The zeiss conquest is in the same price range as the III/3 leopold but has glass that is easily noticeably more clear yet people still buy the leopold for name and appearance as they are a good looking scope with nice available lense covers but noticeable lesser quality than the zeiss in the same price point. Now I certainly would not expect anyone to write a comment saying they would never buy a leopold because some guy on the internet says the zoom ring “always” is too stiff or that the Zeiss is ugly compared to a Leopold.

When individuals you know quite well, and who have a good reputation for not embellishing the facts or the circumstances, have negative experiences with a line of products. Not once or twice but 4 times that's enough for me to take notice.
And there have been other one of instances where reports haven't been glowing towards Vortex as well, those were one of's, from reputable persons, but being one of's I didn't feel they were worthy of much discussion, but since you've brought it up......
Leupold's work, Bushnell are good(beyond their lower lines)Nikon was great value, and I wish I owned more Zeiss, but I have what I have, and at the end of the day it's only just my opinion from my point of view.

As for trucks, anything new simply sucks, they are all only half of what they should be. I'll keep my '07 thanks.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:02 PM

The only scope that I have ever sent back was a Bausch & Lomb 1.5-6. It wouldn’t hold zero. As far as Vortex, they are not created equal. IMO the crossfire and diamondback lines are junk. I have a few Vortex Vipers and the glass in them is better than my Leupold V3’s.