Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Default gull or sylvan for burbot

My main concern is accessiblity I know they both have em and if your lucky u can catch few but which would be easier to access the spots where they tend to be ill either be driving on In my car or walking on so this is why I ask ill can find em fine my self just wondering where ill have an easier time finding them
Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 PM

Well I decided on gull just wondering how the driving is prolly bad huh
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 PM

I was on Gull yesterday, very difficult getting around just on the beaten trail. Guys were stuck all over. After the snow and wind the last two days i doubt you'll get a vehicle on.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM

Figured as much now I'm trying to decide between brownlows and wilsons are the burbs still shallow
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM

I caught one in 8 feet but it was the only one I seen. They should still be up shallow feeding, just need to find concentrations of them. Tough to do when mobility is impaired, take a sled if you can.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
I caught one in 8 feet but it was the only one I seen. They should still be up shallow feeding, just need to find concentrations of them. Tough to do when mobility is impaired, take a sled if you can.
Me n my partner have everything pretty mobile since the snow cracked again but finding.buses buggers will still be tough id imagine In the dark Hehe looks like brownlows is my best bet
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 PM

The burbot at gull lake are done spawning and are dispersed. I was in shallow a couple weeks ago and we caught 10, lost eight but we went to the same spot on Saturday and we did not see one all day. You may get one or two stragglers but from now until the end of the season it is mostly whitefish and pike.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 PM

So they're not Guna be easy to find prolly back in the depths is guess not far off ledges and underwater islands roughly 20 fow is say
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Well we are seeing burbot.but they don't want minnows smelt herring or worms or maggots what else might they want
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

If you have a weight forward spinner in your tackle box, such as an erie derie or a spinner or a mepps, tip it with a minnow. I have burbot fished slave lake using a jighead and a minnow and they would reject it while my fishing partner was catching them right left and center with the erie derie minnow rig. The best results are usually from hooking the minnow horizontally through the back. Just jig the rig slowly and the jigging strokes should be 3'' to 4'' and pause it quite often. Also when or if you see a burbot come in to check the rig out, pause it and if the burbot still doesn't look intersted pause and twitch it again and repeat the steps.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 03-23-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Wording and wanted to add some more info
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCats View Post
I was on Gull yesterday, very difficult getting around just on the beaten trail. Guys were stuck all over. After the snow and wind the last two days i doubt you'll get a vehicle on.
I will confirm that...with chains all around and 4x4, I turned around after 400 yards at Wilsons..........even walking on was grueling....and the snowmobiles were having a lot of trouble.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
I will confirm that...with chains all around and 4x4, I turned around after 400 yards at Wilsons..........even walking on was grueling....and the snowmobiles were having a lot of trouble.
Were you the guy In The fj cruiser ? was out today saw pike burbot perch and whites nothing wanted to eat my hooks
Old 03-23-2011, 05:06 PM

they didnt refuse gold bells... or plain jigg heads
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM

I think my jigging technique is too aggressive

Last edited by alodar; 03-23-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alodar View Post
Were you the guy In The fj cruiser ? was out today saw pike burbot perch and whites nothing wanted to eat my hooks
No....Black Dodge diesel with cap......the guy in the fj cruiser goes pretty far with it though.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
No....Black Dodge diesel with cap......the guy in the fj cruiser goes pretty far with it though.
That he does I was laughing while.he got stuck like 50 times In your path he needs to jack that many up and put some bigger rubber on it to increase his clearance.and he will be indescribable
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM

I betacha If this truck in the pic below drove onto gull, it could go anywhere around the lake.

I guess the only thing that would stop that truck from driving around every sqare inch of that lake would be an ice angler's notorious best friend (springs).

imagesCA9V5I3H.jpg
Random pic off of google

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 03-24-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Grammar