Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM

Default groups - what do you think?

Well, as a relative newbie I think i can ask what you think of these groups ('cos I don't really have a clue).

History - had a stock problem on my Parker Hale Midland 30.06. Fixed (just in time) by Dick284 (thanks Dick284, it's holding up well). We even tested it out by putting a few of his own 'special' loads through - no problems, stock holding up fine.

But then, the accuracy seemed to go to pot, and it looks like the scope's moving. Wrong bases it seems. I head off to P&D and get new bases and the scope re-sited and bore-sighted.

Then, off to the range. Put a few through (I shoot Federal Fusion in 165) and adjust to what seems to be working at 100 yards.

Then I shoot off three at 200 yards (this is off the bench, well - sandbags, but pretty steady).

Here's what I get ...

- seems sort of odd, so I try another five at 100 yards

- much better (or so it seems to me).

So, I'm the first to admit I don't know a lot about shooting (although I'm working to learn). But, I was surprised that the 200 yard shots were so much worse.

What do you think?

Would you consider the accuracy at 100 yards acceptable in your rifle? (Seems pretty good to me, well within the 'boiler room' area at this distance).

But, is your rifle similarly poor at 200 yards (I'm guessing not - and why)?

Any thoughts welcome.

B
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Default oops

forgot to post these ..

remember, I shot the 200 yard group first.

B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1426.jpg (127.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1427.jpg (126.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 PM

PM Sent.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 PM

Well, your 200 yard group is always going to be slightly worse than your 100 yard group....just the way it goes. The further you shoot, the further your groups will open as any changes are shown exponentially....(sp)

Would I bet happy with that 100 yard group? Not me, but I cant speak for your skills, the gun, scope, etc, etc.

If you want tighter groups, look at a number of things. Trigger pull, breathing, the way you're holding the gun, different loads that may be more accurate for that gun, etc, etc...consistency is the biggest thing I think as well.

As for being confident with your groups, shoot a bunch and learn what your gun can and will do. Your groups will tighten up and you'll learn more about shooting every time you're out.....
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Here are some groups that I like to see with my 280 Rem @ 100 yrds. I'm very picky on how my guns group, I don't need any flyers when I'm looking at a bull elk at 350 yards.

here is some groups with my wifes 243

kelly
Old 10-22-2007, 09:14 PM

If the grouping at 100 yards is off hand I'd say you're doing all right. Otherwise you need to look at a number of things like trigger pull, breathing, follow through. If you're technique is fairly consistent but you're groups aren't take a look at the barrels crown for any signs of damage. My guess though is it has something to do with your technique.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM

Bignose,

Based on the info you've provided, it's difficult to determine what the accuracy problem is. It's either in the shooter or in the equipment. Dick284 can be of great help with either or both, he knows his stuff. Invest in a bottle of Dick's favorite scotch and enlist his aid. You'll be grateful of the results. Richard has a softspot for newbies. Too bad you don't accept e-mails.

Bobby B.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose View Post
forgot to post these ..

remember, I shot the 200 yard group first.

B
Looks to me like you have a problem with your shoulder placement and follow through.
I'd have to watch you shoot to be sure however.

Depth perception is not as much an issue with scopes as it is with irons, that is why I say shoulder/butt stock placement.
If it doesn't go in exactly the same spot every time, and you don't follow through the same way, you will get vertical stringing.
it isn't there on the 100 yard target, and that is why Ii am discounting the load.
Cat
Old 10-25-2007, 07:58 PM

The groups don't appear to show too much amiss. One would usually expect the 200 yard groups to be almost twice the size of the ones shot at 100 yards.

You indicated that you shot off sandbags. Supporting the forestock only? Not under the rifles barrel I hope.

Are you using a rear bag or anything supporting the butt of the stock. If not it appears this may be the problem.

The 100 yard groups seem fairly centered around some point of aim - just does not appear to be a steady hold.

Have you checked the parallax on your scope?

How is your rifles trigger? Maybe needs adjustment?

Also, I would suggest the purchase of some snapcaps (dummy cartridges with rubber primer) in your rifles caliber and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire - practising your target acquisition and hold, and your trigger squeeze. Remember to follow through.

And, no I would not accept this for accuracy in one of my rifles. You should be able to shoot a 2" group or less at 100 yards with factory ammo. In my own rifles I will not accept any that shoot more than an inch at 100 yards (and some shoot much better than that - however I also handload specifically for each rifle)

Best of luck and Good Shooting!

Last edited by Buckhead; 10-25-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM

I guess the obvious question is, what was your stock problem? 200 group should be bigger, but not in a different quadrant of the target, assuming you are using the same aiming point. Parker Hale? Its got to be at least 40 years old, so how is the barrel? the books say 6in at 100 yards is adequate hunting accuracy, but that sure won't be adequate at 200 or 300 yds.
Grizz
Old 10-26-2007, 08:05 AM

OK gang the stock is fine, it is glass bedded and the barrel is free floated.
Most of the relevent feedback was addressed in the PM I sent Bignose.
I've watched him shoot and I've seen the rifle first hand. There are many varibles in this equation, and I've highlighted them to him. He is currently working at solving them one at a time.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Default thanks !

Thanks to all for the welcome advice, and (again) to Dick284 for not only a great job on the stock but for sound advice too.

For me, I need to practice, practice, practice. Also, I'll try some different loads and brands of ammo.

B