Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 AM

Default 870 Jamming

I bought a Remington 870 express at Russels here in calgary back in August, and it is jamming, what should I do?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:22 PM

could be any number of reasons why it is jamming.
Is it jamming on extraction, or feeding?
After fireing or even if it is sccled with an unfired round.
Without looking at the gun, I can't really give you any help.
it would be best to give it to a friend who is savvy in 870's, or get it to a good gunsmith like D. Henry in Bently.
I'm sure there are some good 'smiths around calagry....
Cat
Old 10-28-2007, 12:29 PM

OK thanks, I switched over to my old Browning becuase of the jamming, all i remember is that the empty woundnt eject.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM

As the previous poster indicated, more information is needed, however here is a long shot for you. If you are using the cheap 100 packs of shells from walmart that is your issue right there. I bought a new 870 last fall and found that it jams halfway through the pump stroke with these shells probably 90% of the time. It will not do it with any other ammunition. Somebody was telling me it has something to do with the design of the shotguns shells changing slightly.

This may not be the issue but i thought I would put it up here for you and anybody else.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:17 PM

The low brass sides on the cheapo Federal and Winchester bulk packs do tend to bind in my 870's. I use those in my o/u when practicing and use Winchester AA's in the 870's.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:19 PM

Ive shot Reloads, Federal Super X, and Remington Dove Loads
Old 10-28-2007, 11:44 PM

WHat do the brass sides have to do with anything? I am not the most "gun savvy" here but when I look at my gun there are 2 little "clips" one for each side of the shells that almost "snap" over the lip of the metal on the back of the shells to extract it. The way I see it and have looked at it the size of the brass around the sides of the shells have nothing to do with it. Maybe someone could fill be in here.

I have shot "cheapo" walmart shells though my Maverick pump, Rem1100, O/U, Cooey 20 pump, and many 870's with out any problems due to the shell. I have many friends who shoot these loads and know alot of guys who shoot those loads through 870's without any complaints.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:25 AM
sheephunter

If you bought it in August...I'd be packing it back up and heading back to Russells. Let them worry about getting it fixed for you. If it's the reloads jamming, however, it could be a sizing issue. If the brass base isn't properly sized on a reload, it can cause all kinds of problems.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
WHat do the brass sides have to do with anything? I am not the most "gun savvy" here but when I look at my gun there are 2 little "clips" one for each side of the shells that almost "snap" over the lip of the metal on the back of the shells to extract it. The way I see it and have looked at it the size of the brass around the sides of the shells have nothing to do with it. Maybe someone could fill be in here.

I have shot "cheapo" walmart shells though my Maverick pump, Rem1100, O/U, Cooey 20 pump, and many 870's with out any problems due to the shell. I have many friends who shoot these loads and know alot of guys who shoot those loads through 870's without any complaints.
Sometimes the brass expands a little too much and jams some shotguns, Ryan.
Cat
Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 AM

Sometimes it's hard to get the sliding thing back to pop out the doohickie when the thingamajig gets stuck. Then when I yank on the dangly thing in the round part where I put my finger, nothing happens and I can't get the big boom sound to send the metal balls down that long tube. Just a little light hearted teasing.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
If you bought it in August...I'd be packing it back up and heading back to Russells. Let them worry about getting it fixed for you. If it's the reloads jamming, however, it could be a sizing issue. If the brass base isn't properly sized on a reload, it can cause all kinds of problems.
Would they take it back?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM
sheephunter

I'm sure it came with a warranty didn't it? Was it new?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it came with a warranty didn't it? Was it new?
Im not sure about the warranty, I'm sure it came with one, but my Dad bought me the gun, and yeah it was new.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM
sheephunter

Take it back then and see what they'll do for you. It's only a few months old.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Sometimes it's hard to get the sliding thing back to pop out the doohickie when the thingamajig gets stuck. Then when I yank on the dangly thing in the round part where I put my finger, nothing happens and I can't get the big boom sound to send the metal balls down that long tube.
If the dookhickie is sticking , you should maybe take a look at the flippy thing
just on the inside of the slot where it goes.
There might be a bit of a chummy jamming up the works.
this is why I suggested taking it to a good gunsmith who knows a bit more about the inner workings of boom sticks!
Cat
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 PM

Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Take it back then and see what they'll do for you. It's only a few months old.
All they will do is send it in for warrenty work, It will take 6+ months to get back and still be broken. Only then will they buy it back from you for $250 buck less than you bought it for.

This exact thing happened to me recently with a Marlin. (screwy action, Headspace issues??) It also happened to a good friends 870 ( same issue you discribe) and they wouldn't do anything for him

If there is a serious defect, its your problem, not theres.

Dont buy rifles at Russels,