Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Default 12 gauge Fox Model B SxS

I know a guy that is selling a 12 gauge Fox Model B SxS choked MOD/Full single trigger. It was made in the 70's and said it had never been shot and is in 100% condition-no box. I was figuring to buy as these type of guns are always easy to get ride of down the road. 2 questions:

What should i pay for the gun?

Tell me about the gun good or bad.

Pheasant Hunter
Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant Hunter View Post
I know a guy that is selling a 12 gauge Fox Model B SxS choked MOD/Full single trigger. It was made in the 70's and said it had never been shot and is in 100% condition-no box. I was figuring to buy as these type of guns are always easy to get ride of down the road. 2 questions:

Pheasant Hunter
Mine is an enigma. Of all the shotguns I own, it seems to be the one that fits me best. Also, it must be well regulated, because I hit practically everything I shoot at with it. I've been bashing bush with it for 5 years and haven't succeeded in putting a scratch on it yet.

The other side of the coin is that this shotgun has broken more often than all my other shotguns put together. Not big deal-breaker failures, but annoying when you're in the middle of the best day of upland hunting you've ever seen. Stuff like broken cocking lever actuator, drift pin that the sears pivot on slipping out, top lever retaining screw falling out, and so on. I was able to fix all of the problems myself, except I had to ask a machinist to put a spur in the sear pin, so the darned thing would stop slipping out at inopportune times.

My opinion:

Fabulous guns when they're working. Worst designed boxlock I've ever seen.

SS

Last edited by Straightshooter; 10-29-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 10-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant Hunter View Post

Pheasant Hunter
what length are the barrels? 30"?

These guns were made by savage an intended to be no-frills game getters. I'm not a big fan of them, but they are in fact, game-getters. I've seen them go for anywhere from $400 to $800.
The finish and bluing on these things wear pretty easy.

Try 'er out and see if you like the fit- if so, offer $500.

As mention, yeah they break and I'm sure the gunsmiths see a lot of these come in every year.

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 10-29-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:00 AM

It's got 28" barrel's. It should be shipping my way soon. I thought when i get it if i don't like it it shouldn't be hard to sell anyway.