Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Hornady SST bullets

Anybody shoot these. Thoughts and opions would be great.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM

I've shot them in 165 gr out of a .300 win mag. Accuracy was pretty good in my rifle (Sig sauer ). Can't remember what load I used exactly but near the top end in one of the manuals. I shot a large whitetail buck at just over 100 yard and he went about 20 feet and droped. I think they expand pretty rapidly because there was no exit hole and next to nothing left of the heart and lungs. Based off of what I have seen, they make a great deer bullet but I wouldn't use them for anything bigger if I could help it.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
sheephunter

I've shot thousands out of muzzleloaders with awesome performance but when you start pushing them at higher velocities, performance does suffer. Definitely not my first choice for a big game bullet in a centerfire rifle.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 PM

This is the worst bullet i have ever used....I got great groups but the bullet comes apart way to fast.. Took 3 shots on a elk all in the lungs ...First shot was 75 yards last shot was 50 yards.. the lung on the far side never got touched.. .That was out of a 7mm...Try a accubond they are great...Thats just me...
Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 AM

I've shoot a few animals with the 165 SST out of a 300WM. Deer, sheep, tahr, and elk. Deadly accurate they are a little light for jobs requiring punching through bones. The only animal that took a second shot was a bull elk. The first shot smashed the front shoulder and destroyed the lungs. The chest cavity was filling with blood and a second shot wasn't required but when I popped the bull again it was like a cork being pulled on a keg of beer! Blood shot out of the entrance hole like a garden hose.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:48 AM

Apparently the 180 gr. SSTs are built with a thicker (tougher) jacket so they would be more appropriate for elk/moose. That was going to be my plan but I couldn't get them to shoot very well at all (although others don't seem to have much problem). I'll be using 150 gr interbonds (for deer) this season and probably 165s in the future (for the stuff I WANT to hunt).
Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 AM

I use the 225 g SSTs more for target practice due to the cheaper price. They are just as accurate, in my gun, as the accubonds and both have the same point of impact, within 1/2 an inch.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:21 PM

We tied some SSTs with my dads 7mm rem mag last year, and they do shoot well, but found they expand too rapidly on game and cause alot of blood shot, and because of the rapid expansion poor penetration. I think that bullets such as Accubonds, Throphy Bonded Bearclaws, Partitions, are good, but after using the Barnes TSXs in my .270 this year I will be using them exclusively from now on, controled expansion to nearly twice the original diameter, 99% weight retention, and razor sharp petals, just as explained on the Barnes website.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM

Wow, you guys and your big caliber's! I shot my 5 point bull elk this year with a 117 grain sst hornady out from my 25-06. Took one shot. I have had no problem with any med. sized game with this bullet. I have tried everything, and I mean everything over the counter, and my gun loves this bullet the best. The only animal I would not consider shooting with this size would be a moose.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM

I shoot them in both the 129 and 140gr versions out one of my 6.5x55's and they have performed excellently on the deer that have been shot with them, all had exit wounds. A good friend loads the 180gr version in his .308 and he has no problem droping moose with it and has even taken a bison with the load. I find at least in the 6.5 they are a little explosive, never recovered a bullet, but have found a bit of frag.