Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Better or Worse

With all the hot discussion on quality fishing - does anyone know of any lakes or streams that they would classify as "better" than they were, say 5-10 years ago?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM

I would say Birch Lake is better, but still could be better. The bow seems to have gone down in quality. Would like to see what the guys who guide on the Bow seem to think of the Bow as compared to 5 to 10 years ago?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM

I know of one fishery in particular that improved since the last 5 years. I remember 5 years ago at Wab before the oil spill, that lake had lots of hammerhandles and some lunker pike in it. After the oil spill happened, that lake became C and R, more and more lunker pike have been seen and caught at that lake.
I hope that lake stays C and R for a while yet, because that fishery provides an awesome and likely opportunity for someone to catch that elusive trophy pike.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 PM

I can't think of any that have really improved but I can name several that have deteriorated due to high catch limits and overstocking.

Cheers.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 PM

Ya, I've been scratching my head trying to think of some place that got better. The Bow seems to be about the same as it was 15 years ago, but holy cow, way more people!!!
I know fishing Beaver Lake 5-7 years ago, lots of 5-6 pounders, the smaller ones were 2. Now the biggies are 3.
Dogpound creek, maybe better with the stream enhancement.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
I know of one fishery in particular that improved since the last 5 years. I remember 5 years ago at Wab before the oil spill, that lake had lots of hammerhandles and some lunker pike in it. After the oil spill happened, that lake became C and R, more and more lunker pike have been seen and caught at that lake.
I hope that lake stays C and R for a while yet, because that fishery provides an awesome and likely opportunity for someone to catch that elusive trophy pike.
I have to agree with you its incredible right now I really hate to think of them allowing a harvest on that lake I believe if they do they need to implement a strict tagging system to keep all fish populations in check except the perch they seem insanely stunted with literally thousands of less than 3 Inch perch which I don't really understand with so many large pike you'd think that problem would be non existent
Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
there has always, always been large northerns in wab. you guys have just found key areas where they can be found and have found ways to put some hooks into them. i hope you can continue to catch them come open water. the whitefish populations if anything should have improved as they were the main targeted species by so many "catch and keep" anglers coming out from the big city.