Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Default crossbolt lug

Hey Folks....

Bought a 9.3x62 Husky MOD 649, (solid side), from Tradeex.. It has a small crack at the tang, and in the wood on the mag side of the recoil lug. I want to bed the action for deer season, but also want to add a crossbolt to help stop the recoil from cracking the stock any further.
My question is, can I drill through the acraglas gel to install the crossbolt when I get one?

Thanks for your help, archdlx.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:51 PM

Yes you can. But if it was me, I wouldn't shoot the gun at all until you get the repairs made. If you bed it first, then shoot it, it's quite likely that you'll just crack the Acraglas. I know it's tough to NOT shoot a new gun, but that's the best route to go here.

You're post doesn't mention it, but when you do the work, be sure to relieve the tang area so that there is no wood to metal contact. You want a small gap there, so the recoil forces are all soaked up at the lug and not transferred to the tang.

triggerpress
Old 10-28-2007, 09:27 PM

triggerpress...

Thanks for the quick response! I have the tang already done...
Will order one from Brownells tonight, along with a mag release, and maybe a few other small pieces I "need".

Thanks again,

archdlx
Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpress View Post
Yes you can. But if it was me, I wouldn't shoot the gun at all until you get the repairs made. If you bed it first, then shoot it, it's quite likely that you'll just crack the Acraglas. I know it's tough to NOT shoot a new gun, but that's the best route to go here.

You're post doesn't mention it, but when you do the work, be sure to relieve the tang area so that there is no wood to metal contact. You want a small gap there, so the recoil forces are all soaked up at the lug and not transferred to the tang.

triggerpress
The tang is one of the bugaboos of the Mausers, for sure!!
I have lost count of the ones I have fixed that were cracked there...
Cat