Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Default What scope for 22-250?

I am getting Tikka 22-250 and need to know what kind of scope is recommended for 22-250 for vermints?

I have leuplold RIFLEMAN 3.5-9x50, is it good enough or do I need more powerful one?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM

It depends on how far and what you are using it for. I have a 6.5-20x44mm Leupold for sale if you want it. It as fine cross hairs and is good for long distance stuff and gophers. It is in good shape nothing wrong with it for $550 I bought it for about $1000 about 8 years ago I believe. Send me a PM if you are interested. If you are into long distance stuff it is good but if you are only shooting close range it may not be the best for you
Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 PM

I bought a 4-16X40 BSA Mil-Dot on mine and For the price you can't go wrong. they are about $210. comes with a 4inch shade, target turrets,and dust caps. Looks good on my gun.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM

I had a Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 on my last 22-250. To be honest I didn't like it that much. On the higher powers the eye relief sucked. In any warm conditions the sunshade had to be used.
On my new 22-250 I have a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40. I love it. No complaints at all. I feel for my eyes and type of shooting it is a far better scope.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-04-2007, 12:48 AM

IMO, if I were to "rescope" my Varminter it would be with a Leupold 4.5-14X40 LR (the LR model has a 30mm tube & side focus instead of an adj. obj., which is handier than pockets in your gonch!). I have one on my 7mmSTW & love it. I will likely be putting one on my 280 AI when its done as well.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:23 PM

If you are hunting coyotes, a 3x9 is all you need. Buy quality more than extra magnification.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM

I'll vote for the lower range variable as well. At least that's what works best for me. Heck, I like them down as low as 2-7X but also have a couple of coyote rifles that carry 3-9X. Here's why...

When I first started shooting coyotes seriously I would ALWAYS overestimate how far away those two and three hundred yarders were and shoot over them. To help get a higher hit average on those I started using my scope as as a range finder. I found that the heavy pickets on most duplex reticles will bracket a 100 yd coyote from top of shoulder to bottom of chest at about 5 or 6X. (coyotes around here average 11 inches in this dimension). From there, estimating range is just a matter of proportion.

Armed with that knowledge, I started setting my scope's power adjustment accordingly and now just leave it there all the time. It gives me instant and surprisingly accurate range info out to about 400 yds. As a bonus I find that power setting is fine for close in calling action and plenty of magnification for 400 yds. And with my rifle sighted in at 200 yds any coyote inside that quarter mile is in serious trouble. While you will run into longer shots, this will cover 99% of your shooting.

Of course, if you do run into something longer and have the time to dial-up a higher power, that has the potential to make you bullet placement more precise, and makes a good arguement for the higher power scope. But whatever you do, make sure your scope has the capability to go down into the 4-7 range and has a duplex X-hair so you can use that bracketing trick. After that if you don't mind the extra size and weight of a larger scope, go for it.

triggerpress