Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Default I admit, I have an addiction!

It's ok boys and girls. Feel free to join the circle, FAA.

Is it just me, or can anyone else NOT go into a fishing store and buy NOT something. Seems like everytime I go I have to buy something. I may not even really need it, but I still find myself at the register....I guess I'm a good customer!

Was at BPS last night and picked up some things in the sale. I made a list and stuck to it for the most part, but still managed to buy $250 worth of stuff.

So my name is Chris, and I have a fishing addiction!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
It's ok boys and girls. Feel free to join the circle, FAA.

Is it just me, or can anyone else NOT go into a fishing store and buy NOT something. Seems like everytime I go I have to buy something. I may not even really need it, but I still find myself at the register....I guess I'm a good customer!

Was at BPS last night and picked up some things in the sale. I made a list and stuck to it for the most part, but still managed to buy $250 worth of stuff.

So my name is Chris, and I have a fishing addiction!

HAHAHAHAHA

My name is Mathew, and....I am hooked also.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 PM

My name is Shelley . . . and I bleed green.

$200 - $500 every time I'm in a fishing store, and I can make a few trips in a week.

Haven't been in one since TFH's Boxing Day sale, however, as I'm chained to my desk. Thank God! I don't have room for any more stuff.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Hahaha... My name is Todd and I am in denial so I will join the group and attend the meetings ONLY if the meetings are spent on the water fishing.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM

I would also like to step up and finally admit that I also have a problem.

Some people think it can be "Bad" to go into a grocery store while hungry. Well I am here to say that I have got it bad when I walk into a fishing place. I am an addict,a junky. Do I really NEED to pick up 15 Chubdarters because some guy on a forum said they work well for walleye? Your GD right I need them!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Ya, i went there with a pretty strict list and after 1 lap around the store I found alot of items in my basket that were not on the list. shockingly, I did a second lap and seemed to find more even more gear that was not on my list.

Definitely an addict
Old 03-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Do I really NEED to pick up 15 Chubdarters because some guy on a forum said they work well for walleye? Your GD right I need them!!!
I picked up 20 Buzzbombs for the Spray gathering, and then I couldn't even go!

Good thing you don't tie flies.

Can I just pick up the one $3.00 package of barbell eyes that I need? No. I have to pick up one package, of every colour, in every size. Same goes for every other material.

It's a sickness.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:13 PM

LOL, too funny. Glad it's not just me.

On the plus side, the BPS sale is pretty good. Suffix line was pretty much sold out (FYI in case anyone had their minds set on trying some) but did get some 50 lb that I intend to put on my big reel for the ocean next week and northern SK laker fishing. Also go the airplane travel case, which for $40 is a stellar deal. Got me a new pfluegar president and a new 6.5' walleye angler rod which I got last year and love them.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I picked up 20 Buzzbombs for the Spray gathering, and then I couldn't even go!
Shelley as soon as the snow goes down a bit in April, I'll take you on a guided trip and put those to some use, maybe even lose a few to some hogs!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:18 PM

If the staff knows you by name...you're addicted. But I don't think it's a problem. My wife, on the other hand....
Old 03-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
If the staff knows you by name...you're addicted. But I don't think it's a problem. My wife, on the other hand....
Oh-oh....many people at TFH and BPS know me by name....
Old 03-16-2011, 01:41 PM

Sme here, and I also end up buying more of the same stuff because I have so much @#$%& that I dont remember what Ive got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketrout View Post
Lets be honest here, they are DEALERS not staff! LOL!

When you say to a dealer at TFH " I would love to pick up a few of those but money's a bit tight right now..." and they say " NNNNNNNNO Problem. I can spot you a few to get you through until payday; I know you're good for it" and they look over at their partner and wink...... That makes them dealers! LOL!

When a dealer puts his hand on your shoulder,hands you a shopping cart, and starts leading you around the store saying comments such as these,then you have a problem like I do.

" Here's what you need right here"

" They were absolutely HAMMERING these last week."

" What? You don't have any of these,no wonder you didn't catch anything."

" I think I might have a few left but I'm not sure......OH!!,looks like this is your lucky day!!!"

" They make these in sizes 1,2,3,4,6,8,and 10 and you should really have all of them.." and then he says: " You should also get the ones with the red hooks just to be safe."

" I think the guy who got the record in (wherever) was using one of these."

i heay ya! i have unfortunately passed it onto my son who has just turned 4, by the age 3 he already had three different fishing rods.. lol. no matter how hard i try to be in tellign him "no, not today" i always give in.. i mean, im no better so who i am to tell him no.. haha

Heck, I am definitely in this group.

My office is a two minute drive from Wholesale...

The staff know me by name...

I am going on a WSS Staff fishing trip...

Clearly I spend too much time and money in there! It's such a great store, with awesome people so opening my wallet is easy!

I might have you all beat though with frequency. I am in there at least 4 times a week, sometimes pushing ten.

It's a good addiction to have, or so I tell myself!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:48 PM

What a bunch of losers!!
I can stop buying fishing stuff any time i want to , it's not a habit ya know, I like it!
So what if I missed the last flight home because I was browsing!
Cat
Old 03-16-2011, 02:18 PM

WAIT WAIT WAIT. I think there is a misunderstanding here. I see people are talking about their problem, this isn't AA, its OA. No problems here, just addictions!!!!
LMAO

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Part of the healing is understanding and being able to admit to yourself what so many others already know; that you are a "Problem Angler" not a "Recreational Angler."

When it's all about catching fish and not just "Getting Out there" there's a problem. When someone suggests that you can just go buy fish at the grocery store and you think they are totally @%(&#) in the head; it's time to seek help.

When you have a fever and the only prescription is more tackle,you're one of us.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:34 PM

My name is Nathan and I suffer from the same addiction.

I went to pick up some peacock hearl to test my skills at tying pheasant tails and ended up picking up more tying hooks, 2 packs of peacock hearl, 2 rolls or fine wire in red and copper, and 2 more packs of bead heads.

I also have a 14 month old son and an 18 month old nephew who both have all their own gear sitting in the garage waiting for them to use it. I also have a fly rod lined up for my son.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:59 PM

I suffered through the addiction...then I sought help. After weeks and weeks of counselling I gave up my fishing gear addiction. The way through it was explained to me. You have to find another vice to take your mind off of it...as the spending is too hard on the family. So I thought and thought about it then started seeking help on forums...after hours and hours on forums and posting more, and more and more and more...staying up later and later each night posting for help... I finally broke my one and only addiction. Now I need a new computer to help me post...not cause I am addicted to posting on forums but because it distracts me from spending in fishing stores.

Honestly...I don't have a problem...honestly .

Hi family...what is that? Why are these people here wearing white suits? Why did they bring a van? Hey...I don't need an intervention...

Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM

Default Progressive Addiction...

Unfortunately there is no cure, only abstinence will work .

When I left Manitoba for the BC coast 20 some years ago

I had something like 15 tackle boxes full and more to boot ..

When I got to Calgary I did not own one piece of Freshwater

equipment ....Thus began the binge buying , the blackouts ,

waking up, going down to the man cave ,to find new tackle rods and reels , etc.
None of my buds will help they are ichtologically dependant...as well

The Howor...the Howor...
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM

I have the squirrel addiction....... Fishing tackle galore squirreled away in 3 drawer totes.
I will only admit it here on the A.O. forum though, we are kindred souls

Planning my next attack to T.F.H. where I havnt been yet..............
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
I have the squirrel addiction....... Fishing tackle galore squirreled away in 3 drawer totes.

"Hiding" the tackle in totes does not make it any better. It's still there and you know it. Setting it aside "Just in case" is very, very bad.PM me and I'll take that evilness away for you! I remember keeping Rapalas hidden in drawers, tipups in the attic, bags of anchovies in the bottom the freezer underneath the shepherds pie where no one would look. I hit bottom when I found myself cutting up lines of swivels on the coffee table with the family portrait and putting them into baggies while the children slept.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Default Best Part

The best part is when you find a bag of " better get more of these just in case " in the boat or the ice fishing sled that you forgot you had. Its like a little tackle fairy dropped it off just knowing you needed to take the edge off!!!!

B.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post

when you hit the fishin hole dont forget to check out the lifesize portrait they have hanging over the cash register. our very own dark aisling!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-16-2011, 06:13 PM

I get those spells as well, where everytime I go into town I have to at least get a couple of fishing products, and I will circle around the fishing section or store for about at half an hour at least.

I remember when I was making numerous budgets for what I kneeded for halibut and salmon fishing lures. I would always add all of these sorts of differnt lures to my list and would also add many differnt sizes and colours of each type of lure, the budget would be something like $400.00.

I think it's time for me to go to "The Tackleshopaholic Rehab" to get over my "tackleshopaholic" syndrum".(jk)

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:20 PM

My name is Steve and I also am an addict.

I was at B.P. and bought the largest tackle box they had . Then after filling it up with 50/lbs of gear and then realizing I ran out of room I new that I had hit bottom. What to do, what to do ?? Then I saw the light !! Off to B.P. and I bought another tackle box to store the Rattlin Raps in.

I just need help from my fellow AO members !! What do I say to my wife when she gets stuck with a left over Rattlin Rap in our bed ??

Sorry Honey but I did pinch the barbs !! Please don't bend the hook when you pull it out of your arm, thanks.

Dodger.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 PM

I think I really have it worse, everytime I go into a fishing shop I have to empty my pockets incase they think I stole it..... Lures, bobbers,plyers things like that..... Im so afraid they'll set of an alarm.........shiver
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 PM

I admit, im an addict.

Never gone to The Fishin Hole and left empty handed. Done it at WSS a few times, but not often.

I ran out of room in my big tackle box so i started buying some small plano boxes.. I have a problem.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM

I don't have a problem! My wife has the problem. I pulled up to the lake and launched my tackle box this last summer, my wife had a heck of a time launching the boat and hooking up to the tackle box while I was getting my rods ready for the day.

Someone needs to teach her some patience!!

Is it spring yet???