Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
pelada trochu

Default be safe

Just a reminder to be safe out there. Had the co check my boat and licence the other day. He liked my auto manual preserver and reminded me it was only a pfd if worn. Course i had it on. But he told me it wasnt an auto unit. I was sure i had bought an auto unit otherwise who cares.
Checked the original packaging the other day and it says it is. But havent tested it. Will hqve to get a rearm kit and give it a go. Could be a false sense of security.

Who else out there has a auto they havent tried. ???
Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
pelada trochu

Other safety equip is a great flashlight. With auto on when it gets wet and yes it floats. I cary another smaller unit just in case. One with whistle the other has lanyard with whistle attached. Checked batteries tonight and it was time to replace the one. Bass pro pfd that says a/m 24 right on it. Internal auto device was diff than co with external gauge.

Nobody have problems with this unit i hope.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 PM

Meh...just as a reminder of the minimum standards:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...t_requirements
Old 08-01-2012, 01:41 AM
pelada trochu

Well i have all the equipment. But just wanted to remind all to check theirs and make sure its in working order. The co sure was certain my vest was only a manual so much so that it made me question my gear. Would you bet your life on it without tryIng it. So since he even caused me to doubt it (it was new to me just recently) i have to go test it now. If only to prove the bam thing keeps my face. Out of the water.

Thanks for the great link!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 AM
pelada trochu

Hi all being the long weekend thought i might remind everyone to do a thorough check on the trailer for loose bolts check the lug nuts tire pressures that sort of thing. Check those bunks wiring. ...

Then have a great weekend.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:55 AM

Smile

Great post. I will be heading out on an extended road/fishing trip soon. I should check out my "auto" inflate PFD and see if it works. Never actually tried mine either. Also will check out the flashlight and other stuff in the safety kit. Better to be safe than sorry.

Rob
Old 08-02-2012, 03:31 AM

great eye opener as i checked my PFD's and i kinda grew a bit in diameter and am hovering right on the max weight listed on the PFD. either i need to buy new PFD's or need to call jenny craigs.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:32 AM

I fish mainly the Highwood and Sheep on foot. I carry a large knife and a couple cans of bear spray. I had near deadly experience with an angry momma moose about 10 years ago. Yes the knife wont really stop a moose or cougar but its better than slapping a cougar on the back as it bites into your neck.

Extra flashlights, waterproof matches and a couple snickers bars also come in handy when far away from home.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 AM

for those with inflatables, check the expiry date. The component that inflates the vest has an expiry and can be easily replaced. If its about to expire might be a great time to actually test your vest and see how the auto works or if its manual - good practice finding the rip cord. Experiment with adding and venting air when inflated as well. Might as well know how it works before you're in an emergency situation.