Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Default Message from Alberta Fish & Wildlife Division

Fishery restriction on Red Deer River and tributaries
This email is to inform anglers that starting August 7, 2012, fishing upstream of Dickson Dam on the Red Deer River and its tributaries will be restricted to catch-and-release only for the remainder of the season.

A zero harvest restriction is in place as a precautionary measure, as government experts will be conducting a population sampling program to determine if there were any impacts to fish stocks in the waterways as a result of a pipeline spill in early June.

Anglers will not be allowed to harvest fish upstream of the Dickson Dam, including Gleniffer Reservoir and Dickson Trout Pond. The area includes the main-stem of the Red Deer River from Gleniffer Lake to the Banff National Park boundary, and all flowing tributary waters.

Angler harvest in the affected area is still permitted in Burnstick Lake and in the following stocked trout lakes and ponds:
• Beaver Lake,
• Dormer Lake,
• Eagle Lake,
• Birch Lake, and
• Yellowhead Lake.

Specific regulations still apply, which can be found in the Alberta 2012 Sportfishing Regulations.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM

Yep. Message received. Too bad mortality even from single barbless hooks taken properly (i.e. flies) is still 4/100. Not to mention a little bit of treble action will ensure up to 25%, or so I've read multitudinous times. No harvest does not equal no mortality.

Mind you, if I had bought a license and lived beside glennifer, and they shut it down for the remainder of the year....I may be tempted to have a talk with the next CO that dared darken my doorway....