Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Banned

Default Big brother?

Never believed in big brother before? I'm glad to see this finally coming to the forefront, can finally take my tin foil hat off...

Back in 2003, the NSA stepped foot into AT&T, set up a room and started siphoning off all communications - that went on for 3 years before a lawsuit shut it down. That was 10 years ago.

Enter PRISM, the governments network of communications spying - and this is just starting to break.

Verizon finally fessed up to the fact that the NSA gave them a court order... Sprint is named as well.
http://mashable.com/2013/06/05/veriz...phone-records/

Yahoo just came out with their new terms of service for the upcoming server upgrades - let us read your emails or cancel your account. Some choice eh?

Facebook, Microsoft, yahoo, google, paltalk, the list just goes on and on...

This is going to get interesting.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36 AM

So?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:37 AM

I was talking about this with a group of guys yesterday, can't believe how many are ok with it, especially the baby boomer generation, you know terrorists and all, except this is spying on everyone. Makes me sick the way were going.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:42 AM

There is no privacy. Anywhere.

Well, maybe in a dark closet with no amenities.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM

who cares.. I got nothing to hide..
Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Banned

It's going to get interesting to see where this goes, just another scandal but this one could be the icing on the cake. For the public to realize that everything is being watched and monitored by their government is going to upsetting to the general public - they shouldn't be surprised tho.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 AM

I quit worrin' about someone watchin' the day I quit boffin' sheep.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Nobody is saying you have anything to hide JB, but there is something called privacy and in the digital world, that's been out the window for a long time now. If you send a personal email to a spouse or your child or a friend - do you really want a stranger reading it?

It used to be that 6 degrees of separation held somewhat true, now it's more like 1 or 2 degrees. Everything is up for grabs these days, everything.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Your ok with the government reading all your emails, listening to all your phone calls, recording every website you visit, and listening to you in your home through your webcam? How about weekly warrantless searches of your property, maybe check points to and from work, you know you have nothing to hide.

This gives the ruling class way to much power. Don't let the terrorists in the country in the first place and stay out of our homes.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Nobody is saying you have anything to hide JB, but there is something called privacy and in the digital world, that's been out the window for a long time now. If you send a personal email to a spouse or your child or a friend - do you really want a stranger reading it?

It used to be that 6 degrees of separation held somewhat true, now it's more like 1 or 2 degrees. Everything is up for grabs these days, everything.
Who cares. If some nameless, faceless person, thousands of miles away gathering hundreds of thousands of emails, and happens to come across mine, reading about my convo about what I did at my last camping trip to my Aunt Jane...so what? It's not like someone is going through each and every email like it's a letter sitting on a desk. It's encrypted code read by software scanning billions of pages emails looking for "buzz words" and "triggers".

If this terrifies you, then cancel your internet, get rid of your computer, cel phone, credit card, debit card, Airmiles card, Safeway club card, digital camera and become a freeman on the land.

It's a digital world. Everything is made up of 1's and 0's. Get used to it. Relax and enjoy, there's actually a lot of benefits to it.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Who cares. If some nameless, faceless person, thousands of miles away gathering hundreds of thousands of emails, and happens to come across mine, reading about my convo about what I did at my last camping trip to my Aunt Jane...so what? It's not like someone is going through each and every email like it's a letter sitting on a desk. It's encrypted code read by software scanning billions of pages emails looking for "buzz words" and "triggers".

If this terrifies you, then cancel your internet, get rid of your computer, cel phone, credit card, debit card, Airmiles card, Safeway club card, digital camera and become a freeman on the land.

It's a digital world. Everything is made up of 1's and 0's. Get used to it. Relax and enjoy, there's actually a lot of benefits to it.
Doesn't terrify me in the least, in a way, i'm big brother too. Just informing the public Dave, if you don't care, then don't.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
I was talking about this with a group of guys yesterday, can't believe how many are ok with it, especially the baby boomer generation, you know terrorists and all, except this is spying on everyone. Makes me sick the way were going.
"Your papers please, Comrade".
Old 06-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Gone Hunting

"This gives the ruling class way to much power"

Who exactly is the 'ruling class".

Allison, or Rob? Mayor Menshi, or that other guy from Edmonton?

Mulcair? Dionne? da guy from shawinigan?

Really. these guys could organize a cluster if they tried.

They can't get a handle on ?"No More Idle", reserve expenses, the health system and they are worried because some tool sent pics of his junk on the internet?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Since the invention of the telegraph & morse code this has been going on.. What about party lines (not the $ per use ones..lol), you don't think police 9or friends) would just eaves drop on those? Do you think the banks aren't required to inform the gov't/police of suspicious account activity? If you make a huge deposit/withdrawl, why do you think the teller is asking if you sold a car? It's not small talk.. Frankly I like that big brother is watching out.. Big brother caught multiple large withdrawls/transactions on my account (skimmed cards). If they weren't watching, I would've lost that money...

Why is this a big surprise to anyone? Like Dave said.. If you don't like it, stop living, get off the grid completely, Move up to the yukon, and yet, a satellite would still get a picture of you.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
"This gives the ruling class way to much power"

Who exactly is the 'ruling class".

Allison, or Rob? Mayor Menshi, or that other guy from Edmonton?

Mulcair? Dionne? da guy from shawinigan?

Really. these guys could organize a cluster if they tried.

They can't get a handle on ?"No More Idle", reserve expenses, the health system and they are worried because some tool sent pics of his junk on the internet?
They don't need to organize anything Red. They hire the people to make it happen.

What all this boils down to is that government doesn't believe that people have a RIGHT to privacy anymore - and the scary part is, some people are ok with that.

Privacy hasn't just been compromised, it's been shot and buried - and that really should bother people.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Since the invention of the telegraph & morse code this has been going on.. What about party lines (not the $ per use ones..lol), you don't think police 9or friends) would just eaves drop on those? Do you think the banks aren't required to inform the gov't/police of suspicious account activity? If you make a huge deposit/withdrawl, why do you think the teller is asking if you sold a car? It's not small talk.. Frankly I like that big brother is watching out.. Big brother caught multiple large withdrawls/transactions on my account (skimmed cards). If they weren't watching, I would've lost that money...

Why is this a big surprise to anyone? Like Dave said.. If you don't like it, stop living, get off the grid completely, Move up to the yukon, and yet, a satellite would still get a picture of you.
Lets look at it this way - i've never had a card skimmed or money taken from my account.

Next time you walk into a tim hortons or a gas station or whatever and pay with debit, be mindful of the camera's in the store. Also take note of your debit card, look at the way you hold it when you shove it into the reader, are the numbers exposed? do you hide your PIN number when you punch it in?

If you're getting skimmed - as you say multiple times - it's not the banks fault - and none of the governments business. The banks have made identity theft and card skimming easy - they are taking responsibility for it and they shouldn't be IMO.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post

your right, in fact, what is the point of owning guns? we have people watching us to protect us? why own a house, the government can house us much cheaper? free market.....nah, let them coddle us....I need to be watched and protected at all times......ohhhhhh 1984..where art thou????
Old 06-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Gone Hunting

"The banks have made identity theft and card skimming easy - "

Why?

"They don't need to organize anything Red. They hire the people to make it happen. "

There still has to be a master plan or direction. Does it come from "The Ruling class"whatever that is? or from some politician who won't be around for the next election.?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Lets look at it this way - i've never had a card skimmed or money taken from my account.

Next time you walk into a tim hortons or a gas station or whatever and pay with debit, be mindful of the camera's in the store. Also take note of your debit card, look at the way you hold it when you shove it into the reader, are the numbers exposed? do you hide your PIN number when you punch it in?

If you're getting skimmed - as you say multiple times - it's not the banks fault - and none of the governments business. The banks have made identity theft and card skimming easy - they are taking responsibility for it and they shouldn't be IMO.
Sigh.. Yes, I hide my pin (who doesn't), but if you travel, you'd understand that most small towns still have the swipe machines (no-chip reader). I never said it was the banks fault.. Quit changing the topic, if it wasn't for the bank watching my accounts (which is what everyone here is complaining about, you know big brother) you wouldn't know until you check your account, then you'd have to justify it to the bank that it wasn't you making that purchase. The bank knows your spending patterns, if it sees something different, they call (or decline).

Why shouldn't the banks be responsible for it, 9/10 the card reader has been modified internally so it looks no different than a regular reader. Banks are the ones providing those readers. The banks are paid to look after my money, to keep it safe and secure.. That's THEIR JOB.

You better not travel to the states.. Criminals now can read your cards information just by being in close proximity to you (even if you never remove the card from your pocket).. Wonder how they do that.. RFID..
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM

This also allows the government to know all the secrets of any politician that may oppose them in the future. We are sliding into tyranny with half the population cheering it on. In other news the RCMP (governemnt thugs) are reclassifying more guns and will be confiscating them, turn them in or 3 years in jail. Yay I feel safer.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
"The banks have made identity theft and card skimming easy - "
Why?
We want convenience, plain and simple. People are so bloody lazy these days that there's drive through lanes at a bank. The more convenient things are, the easier they are to hack. Oh, if I had no morals, i'd be a rich man.

Quote:
"They don't need to organize anything Red. They hire the people to make it happen. "

There still has to be a master plan or direction. Does it come from "The Ruling class"whatever that is? or from some politician who won't be around for the next election.?
9/11 was the turning point for the USA - the world of terror - 9/11 gave GWB the patriot act and and every other control measure since - they went downhill from there. Obama is just carrying it forward and whoever succeeds him will keep it going. People gave up their rights and freedoms for the sake of terror - but it's the proverbial "give an inch, they'll take a foot". I sincerely hope this wakes up the world.

I don't care about any ruling class, but as it is "because we can" is the standing answer - why not do it? It's not just the USA, Canada is jumping on the same boat - because they can....
Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM

Here is an intresting article on PRISM
http://gizmodo.com/what-is-prism-511875267
Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM

I wonder how many people on this forum who have no problem with the "current state of our privacy rights" would be concerned if our democracy was taken over by a brutal, repressive, totalitarian fascist, communist, religious or military regime?

Jim
Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sigh.. Yes, I hide my pin (who doesn't), but if you travel, you'd understand that most small towns still have the swipe machines (no-chip reader). I never said it was the banks fault.. Quit changing the topic, if it wasn't for the bank watching my accounts (which is what everyone here is complaining about, you know big brother) you wouldn't know until you check your account, then you'd have to justify it to the bank that it wasn't you making that purchase. The bank knows your spending patterns, if it sees something different, they call (or decline).

Why shouldn't the banks be responsible for it, 9/10 the card reader has been modified internally so it looks no different than a regular reader. Banks are the ones providing those readers. The banks are paid to look after my money, to keep it safe and secure.. That's THEIR JOB.

You better not travel to the states.. Criminals now can read your cards information just by being in close proximity to you (even if you never remove the card from your pocket).. Wonder how they do that.. RFID..
Watch people in public - there's alot that don't hide their pin number - sorry for assuming.

I'm well aware JB, i've done work with the banks in the past... Again, it's too easy to hack people. Glad to hear you do hide your PIN number. Yes, i'm well aware of RFID in credit cards and debit - again, make it easy for people and you're making it easy for hackers. That's my point.

To really change the subject, it's not just the physical cards that you have to worry about - most viruses and malware today are seeking out your banking information or anything else they can make money on. A simple keylogger embedded in a virus can cause you financial stress - if you go to royalbank.com - enter your card number and password, that info is recorded and sent to the hacker. They now have access to your account and every other account tied to it.

I shudder to think how many people have some kind of viral payload on their computers and don't know it.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
.....9/11 was the turning point for the USA - the world of terror - 9/11 gave GWB the patriot act and and every other control measure since - they went downhill from there. Obama is just carrying it forward and whoever succeeds him will keep it going. People gave up their rights and freedoms for the sake of terror.....
The terrorists won.

They thought Westerners were fools - and they were right.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Watch people in public - there's alot that don't hide their pin number - sorry for assuming.
No worries.. I watch my cards and accounts closely, but I still give people the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
To really change the subject, it's not just the physical cards that you have to worry about - most viruses and malware today are seeking out your banking information or anything else they can make money on. A simple keylogger embedded in a virus can cause you financial stress - if you go to royalbank.com - enter your card number and password, that info is recorded and sent to the hacker. They now have access to your account and every other account tied to it.

I shudder to think how many people have some kind of viral payload on their computers and don't know it.
Yep, very scary, which is another reason, I keep a close eye on my accounts.

I had to laugh at my co-worker, he just got a new Samsung S4, and was asking me what the best password app was.. he thought those were the best thing since sliced bread.. I told him the real truth behind those..
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM

So how exactly do they go through all this collected information. Does a computer just look for key words, or are there actually people who sit down and read through millions of call, texts, emails, etc?

I don't like it at all, I got nothing to hide, but I still don't want anyone, government or otherwise, leaning over my shoulder all the time. Not everyone is a terrorist or criminal. The governments are like a bunch of strung out crack heads, they think everyone is talking about them and out to get em. If they didn't act so sketchy all the time, maybe the public would trust them a little more.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Programs scan for words (or information) of interest, then a person will review it, if it gets flagged.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 AM

So 'they" are probably reading this thread as we speak then?

Note to who ever is spying on this thread- get a life and a real job

If I dissappear for no reason, "they" probably came and got me and sent me to guantonamo bay lol
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Some of you may be singing a different tune when SWAT is knocking on your door. It blows my mind how many are okay with the government doing this. "I've got nothing to hide" works until you start saying and doing something you don't like.

Nothing good can come out of these things. If the government wants to spy on someone, get a warrant and follow the letter of the law.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA