Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
shorthair

Default Something for the serious Gopher hunter

Well my friend and I have been looking around for a good shooting bench. Something for shooting Gophers, but could also be used for larger caliber rifles. Found one that we thought was good, but didn't like the price tag. So I had a brain wave and decided to build our own. Our bench adjusts up and down for close or long shots and also pivots 360 degrees.

We headed out the last 2 days to give it a good test since the Gophers are out in full force. I couldn't believe how awesome they worked. We were dead steady. Not even the wind could rock us!! We found a great field and sat there for most of the day. The farmer should be happy since we finished off more than a brick of 17HMR rounds in no time.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Warrior

Looks pretty sweet... You may have to patent that one and sell them...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Okotokian

That looks like a nice piece of work!

Personally, I just couldn't go for a bench. I like my gopher shooting to improve my general marksmanship, and I don't feel that is happening as much if you use a bench. I'd also prefer that my success be more of a factor of my skill than my equipment or gun. Nothing against the thousands who like to shoot that way, just a personal preference. Now I guess you could go a step further and say "Well why not go without a scope then?". I guess that's where I draw my personal line.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:39 AM
lethalconnection

those look awesome, good idea.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 AM
bigbore

nice work!! just curious though whats on top of your savage for optics? Seems to fit the rifle nicely
Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Rackmastr

Nice rig Devin!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
aulrich

Nice set-up, one thing I would add is a some sort of table top, to hold ammo and etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Okotokian

yeah, and a portable battery-operated beer cooler. Maybe a TV, or at the very least an I-pod holster :b LOL
Old 03-12-2007, 02:52 PM
shorthair

Thanks Guys!!

Okotokian, I am looking to further my accuracy past the 200-250yd mark using my .17HMR and am able to do it very easily with this bench. You just can't make a precision shot using a fence post and even a bipod isn't as solid as a bench. My other concern was to build a bench that I could use to sight in my larger calibre rifles like a 7mm or 300 mag. I like to get the human error out of the equation when sighting in. Just my personal feeling

bigbore, I topped my Savage with a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 6-24 x 40mm and it has a Mil Dot Reticle. My only beef with this scope is I do get some eye strain when I have it cranked to 24X.

aulrich, the tray for ammo is already in the works!!! I am going to attach it right below the rest using a u-bolt and the tray will be off to the side.

shorthair
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Blakeinator2

I like the idea...gonna need a bigger truck to carry all the dang gear i drag out for gopher shoots if i gets one of those.

I really like the idea of one of those for the centerfire action or the long .17 hmr stuff.

For the rest i'm gonna go with the "poor mans mobile unit" this season and see how it works out. Seat pad attached to my arse, hipsack with a couple bricks of federal champion .22 shells and my .22 on a long bi-pod...heck...i should have one free hand to carry lunch this year!...or a beverage .

B
Old 03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Okotokian

Quote:
My other concern was to build a bench that I could use to sight in my larger calibre rifles like a 7mm or 300 mag. I like to get the human error out of the equation when sighting in. Just my personal feeling
I'm with you totally on that one. Seems like the perfect setup.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Scott N

Looks like good work. Great idea.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM
lilsundance

nice shooting stand. How much did that setup cost to make?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:51 PM
RyanGSP

Hey Devin how much you selling these rigs for?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
shorthair

I haven't sat down and figured out how much I have put into these, but I was lucky to have most of the steel at my disposal. The seats we had custom made. Other than that it was mostly labour. I haven't even thought about building to sell, but if you are interested Ryan send me a PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM
RyanGSP

PM sent.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Ken aka Savage

Wow, that is a well thought out shooting platform! Best of luck with that as a personal shooting platform & the good possibility you might make some coin mass producing them for sale.

--Ken
Old 03-13-2007, 05:43 PM
nafegavas

Great stuff, is a truck mounted version in the works?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 PM
M70

Only if he's going to market to the Americans.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:01 AM
Okotokian

Quote:
Great stuff, is a truck mounted version in the works?
With spotlights and electronic game caller please :b :lol
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
nafegavas

Why should only the Americans get the good stuff?8o
Old 03-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Drake

I know an amazing welder in Calgary who use to be a member on this board....... :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
. He might be able to give you some tips on starting a manufacturing business...
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 PM
kanonfodder

:eek what you said...lol....all you need is a harness a tree and alot of lol lol lols
Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 AM
grandzillaa

Yeb it is a nice rig. Now you can have a home based company of your own, if you have the desire to do this. Looks as though you can have a few customers from this board.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 AM
s_buffalo

That's a beauty of a shooting rest.

Stinky