Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-10-2023, 05:33 PM

If I ever catch up with the muley I spotted last Friday, he would be done with a half mount, to show the depth of chest. A mount as such shows how truly “Big” is when you add the girth to it.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:25 PM

Depends if I want to exaggerate the score or not! Haha European mounts always make them look bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
If I ever catch up with the muley I spotted last Friday, he would be done with a half mount, to show the depth of chest. A mount as such shows how truly “Big” is when you add the girth to it.
Ya you don't usually get to see how beefy they are

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2023, 07:32 PM

I also have both! I shot a nice whitetail when I was young 35 years ago, and got it shoulder mounted as this was a large deer 192 5/8" NT. and had the double throat patch.
About one in a thousand they say! Again thought I would never get another chance to harvest such a nice animal so I got it done.

Last edited by badbrass; 11-10-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:03 PM

The nicest one I had ever shot - not that it was a huge rack, but respectable, and had character - I wish I had mounted.

At this point it's clamped in an "Iron Buck" display that my son bought me, so it's looking good now.

People keep saying, "oh, keep the cape from a big doe and use that!" but that seems kinda wrong to me. The mount is for me, and I will know. If it was for someone else, or for display in a store or museum, I wouldn't care.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:50 PM

Some have PM- ed me and ask what a double throat patch is so here is a picture of the mounted deer!

Old 11-11-2023, 05:51 PM

That’s a heck of a deer, badbrass!
Old 11-11-2023, 05:59 PM

Thanks! He broke a tine off on the main beam just off the right side. But yes nice! Glad I had him done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That’s a heck of a deer, badbrass!
Old 11-11-2023, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Thanks! He broke a tine off on the main beam just off the right side. But yes nice! Glad I had him done!
Not many wouldn't give a left nut for that deer! What a tank
Old 11-11-2023, 07:36 PM

Nice I like all the forks on him
Old 11-11-2023, 07:57 PM

Hanging he did 180lbs, skinned out. I knew something was big out there, as I was bow hunting! but never got the chance on him, as there was 6 inch popular out there rubbed down! Went out rifle season first morning and got him!
Old 11-11-2023, 08:36 PM

Dang badbrass he is definitely mount worthy

Old 11-11-2023, 08:48 PM

Sorry didn't want to de-rail your post! But thanks! But I'am very happy to have him done! I have taken a few more since that time but nothing like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Dang badbrass he is definitely mount worthy

Old 11-11-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Sorry didn't want to de-rail your post! But thanks! But I'am very happy to have him done! I have taken a few more since that time but nothing like that!
No worries. It totally goes with what I was asking. I got drawn for antlered mulie and was envisioning getting a monste. And wondering what I'd do with it.

I got my mulie today, and he'll get a euro mount. He's not as big as I was daydreaming about, but he is my personal best. I'll save the shoulder mount if I get something bigger or unique.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
No worries. It totally goes with what I was asking. I got drawn for antlered mulie and was envisioning getting a monste. And wondering what I'd do with it.

I got my mulie today, and he'll get a euro mount. He's not as big as I was daydreaming about, but he is my personal best. I'll save the shoulder mount if I get something bigger or unique.

Pics sir
Old 11-12-2023, 07:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Hanging he did 180lbs, skinned out. I knew something was big out there, as I was bow hunting! but never got the chance on him, as there was 6 inch popular out there rubbed down! Went out rifle season first morning and got him!
Wow....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Pics sir
He has a neat rack. On the left, the front tines are front to back. On the right, they are side by side, with an extra little nub underneath. I didn't mean to make him sound small in my earlier post. There was no way I was passing up on this fella.

I was meaning to get a nice pic with my rifle on him. But in all the excitement I forgot. I had texted the landowner for the gate combo so I could get my truck in. Then he showed up to see how I made out. I got to chatting with him and he gave me a hand holding and maneuvering to get him gutted and hung on my wobly winch stand. And pics completely slipped my mind.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
He has a neat rack. On the left, the front tines are front to back. On the right, they are side by side, with an extra little nub underneath. I didn't mean to make him sound small in my earlier post. There was no way I was passing up on this fella.

I was meaning to get a nice pic with my rifle on him. But in all the excitement I forgot. I had texted the landowner for the gate combo so I could get my truck in. Then he showed up to see how I made out. I got to chatting with him and he gave me a hand holding and maneuvering to get him gutted and hung on my wobly winch stand. And pics completely slipped my mind.

That front cluster is cool looking congrats size doesn’t matter as long as you are happy with it

In my opinion hunting is about personal goals and challenges so if you are happy with the animal you choose to take its a success.

Totally understand the photo thing people give me crap all the time because I either take basic photos or very few. Only reason I have good photos of my buck this year is my wife demanded I wait till she got there lol

Congrats
Old 11-12-2023, 08:59 AM

Nice buck! Congrats! Nothing wrong with him! Good eating!

Quote:

Old 11-12-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Nice buck! Congrats! Nothing wrong with him! Good eating!
Big body on him!
Old 11-12-2023, 10:03 AM

Thanks guys. The boss and I went to this land a few years ago looking for her whitetail. We found there were none around, just mulies. But we saw a big one. I kept not getting my antlered draw until this year. I think it was 5 or 6 years wait.

Friday I went scouting and saw 3 little dinks, 4 does, and this fella. They were all walking up a slope 500 yards ahead of me.

The 2 smaller bucks were practicing fighting. That was neat to watch. They went on for 20 minutes or so. Locking up and pushing each other back and forth. Very cool to watch.

So yesterday I went back and layed on a hill 200 yards away facing the slope that I was watching the day before. after a couple of hours I look 500 yards to my right, where I was the day before, and here comes dinks, does, and this guy. They came up the next hill towards me and at exactly 350 yards he gave me a perfect side shot. And that was it. He didn't go anywhere, layed right down.

I'll wait 6 more years and hopefully do it again.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:14 AM

i prefer euro mounts
Old 11-12-2023, 10:19 AM

Nicely done!

Quote:
Thanks guys. The boss and I went to this land a few years ago looking for her whitetail. We found there were none around, just mulies. But we saw a big one. I kept not getting my antlered draw until this year. I think it was 5 or 6 years wait.

Friday I went scouting and saw 3 little dinks, 4 does, and this fella. They were all walking up a slope 500 yards ahead of me.

The 2 smaller bucks were practicing fighting. That was neat to watch. They went on for 20 minutes or so. Locking up and pushing each other back and forth. Very cool to watch.

So yesterday I went back and layed on a hill 200 yards away facing the slope that I was watching the day before. after a couple of hours I look 500 yards to my right, where I was the day before, and here comes dinks, does, and this guy. They came up the next hill towards me and at exactly 350 yards he gave me a perfect side shot. And that was it. He didn't go anywhere, layed right down.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself

I am getting close to pulling a Mule deer draw and need to decide if I go with my buddy where he hunts or start scouting my own area closer to home
Old 11-12-2023, 10:22 AM

Old 11-12-2023, 10:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

That’s gonna make great meals!!!
Deer tenderloins wrapped in bacon!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
That’s gonna make great meals!!!
Deer tenderloins wrapped in bacon!!!

Was it that obvious? Haha

Old 11-12-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself

I am getting close to pulling a Mule deer draw and need to decide if I go with my buddy where he hunts or start scouting my own area closer to home
Ah man I lucked out here. Tough call. People seem to have no problem getting permission to hunt private land. But most of the people I ask have enough people there already. I guess I'm late to the game.

Usually every year I'm eating tag soup. I was hoping this draw didn't go to waste.

But ya I'm still super pumped.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM

Haha!

Quote:
Was it that obvious? Haha

Old 11-12-2023, 03:40 PM

Good for you getting your buck! It's a long wait.

Quote:
Ah man I lucked out here. Tough call. People seem to have no problem getting permission to hunt private land. But most of the people I ask have enough people there already. I guess I'm late to the game.

Usually every year I'm eating tag soup. I was hoping this draw didn't go to waste.

But ya I'm still super pumped.