Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 PM

Default bassano dam

thinking about floating the bow from the dam down to a buddys land and good plans of attack or advice( are the sturgon found that far west? thanks in advance
Old 08-14-2008, 10:50 PM

i think that is native land and you have to get a permit from the band i am not sure but would check it out first i heard of big river pike around where the ferry is and down stream from there and some big browns
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM

During the Run-off period, Sturgeon will migrate up the Bow River and Oldman River system. Last stops being Bassano and Oldman Dam. You might be able to still catch the odd Sturg in the deep pools but the majority of the Migration usually finishes in mid-July as that's when the river start to recede.
Right at the base of Bassano, you'll find a Multitude of species there to catch. Rainbows, Browns, Goldeye, Pike, and Walleye can been caught. Almost every species found in the Lower and Upper Bow can be caught below Bassano Dam...
Good Luck
Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Default a trip of trips

Well the trip was a success ...... kindof what was said to be a 3 hour fun float of fishing with our wife's turn into a 9 hour jorney from hell. The fishing was pretty good but the water was so low. More time spent paddling away from rocks coming out of the water or walking the boat because of low water. I hate to say it but forgot the paddles to my little 2 man dingy(a fish hunt one with wood floor). So we where being pulled by my buddys 8 foot fiberglass boat for the 60's with 2 small holes in and a bag around the plug to keep it tight. I forgot we also had our lead boat pulling ahead rarely to be seen the hole trip. He our local friend and fearless guild lol with a angry wife and a 4 month old puppy. All in all it was a good trip coulpe walley and some goldeye. The sunburn was not to bad and no heat stroke.Its a spring time trip when there is more water but by the way there is nothing out there for access to get out if things go bad no cell. no roads.biggest walleye 58 cm.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM

LOL Buddy did same thing few yrs ago took his inlaws and family for float below the dam ended up getting dark cause of so much pulling boat over shallow water had to walk to truck. These were locals so knew where they were and stuff.
Too bad didnt see post b4 coulda gave ya the heads up water usually low in august sometimes could cross river without getting knees wet.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM

Default Below the damm

When I first read this post the low water issue came to mind .

Two or three years ago there was an article in a Fishin Alberta mag

Some guy in a jet boat heard about all the good fishin , so headed down and found no water in a lot of spots ...

...I had the same trip a couple of augusta ago from policemans to
mckinnons .... far to much paddling ....
Old 06-28-2020, 03:53 PM

Default Floating south of Bossano Damn

Pulling up an old thread here, does anyone know much about floating the river below the bossano damn? I've heard the water slows down considerably. I'm pulling my MD tag and figure the river could be a nice way to explore the zone and do some pre-season scouting.

What kind of boat should I use? Pontoon or Zodiac? Are places to get out of the river frequent? I see a few potential locations on the map but figure they may be private access. I'm gonna hit the road and look around but these daily thunderstorms are putting my plans on hold.

Figured I'd ask on here too.

Take care everyone!