Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Above ground or below cold storage

I'm sure I will get a ton of ideas so here goes. I want to build a cold storage area I would like it to be at least 10x20. Above or below the ground. I've looked online found a few sites and sort of like the underground T culvert idea but a pretty big cost, so if there are any ideas and I'm sure there are please share,
Thank you
Old 06-14-2014, 12:28 PM

Maybe look into metal graineries. Contact manufacturer and get prebend segments, bolt them together in whatever size suits your needs. Hunt down some Q-deck, brace it up good and pour concrete. Then build a building on the pad.
I just priced a 8' long x 6'6" diameter cutoff section from the companys scrap area for $200. Going to make a water well pit/ cold storage out of it.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 06-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Put a 8 x 20 c-can in the ground, I'm sure your getting the picture. I know a few people with set ups like this. Great place to go during a zombie apocalypse or for those end of the world preppers.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
Put a 8 x 20 c-can in the ground, I'm sure your getting the picture. I know a few people with set ups like this. Great place to go during a zombie apocalypse or for those end of the world preppers.
Popular with the grow op crowd too.....almost guaranteed a visit from the authorities.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:16 PM

Find an old bus at the scrap yard take the axles off, take the seats out, bury it in the ground, run power to it and your golden! my old neighbor had one and it was a thing of beauty!!
Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 PM

A cold storage building can also mean it will also double as a combination meat cooler / root cellar if you garden or hunt at all.

Complete temperature stability is reached about 10 feet (3 m) deep so an underground or sub terrain building is going to serve more purposes. (nice cool place to go to on a hot day too )

This is from BC and is banked and not really underground, but the building could be put undergound instead of just banked.
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/pub...Veg/331-50.pdf

Wood is more desirable for a structure that is going to be used for vegetable and fruit storage because metal structures can get much colder. If you have your own trees/logs that would be a cheap way of building.

If no veggies or meat are in the plan I would stay above ground.

I saw a Prairie Farm Report show that had a guy in Sask. that built his storage building out of flax straw big square bales and put on a trussed insulated roof. He also made a huge shop from bales. Straw bales can be pretty cheap some years. Lots of info online about straw building.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Maybe look into metal graineries. Going to make a water well pit/ cold storage out of it.
Drilling water wells in a pit has been banned in AB....just sayin'

http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/8197.pdf
Old 06-14-2014, 08:35 PM

Nothing wrong if the well is not in the pit