Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Rite View Post
The way to fix it is throw the dang thing away. I grew up with the Coleman stove and lantern and they have always been a maintenance problem. White fuel must be used and washers dry out and mantels and camping is always a problem. Also, not a good ideal to use in a tent. In today's age propane and batteries is the way to go, lot less hazzle.

Bobby
Better than filling the dump with batteries, brighter light, Lasts forever through weather (unlike electronics), throws comforting heat and pretty much problem free with easily replaced parts.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
But its just not the same. I know they work well but give me a old Coleman any day.
I know what you mean.

However I finally ditch my old Coleman lantern & stove. While camping I use a couple RV 12 volt light bulbs & run them from the truck battery. Gives off plenty of light. I am still using the Coleman propane stove from when they 1st came out.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 PM

Forget that white gas crap. Just another problem to contend with. I have a 12 volt charger in the truck and a 110 volt outlet when the truck is running. For crying out loud this is 2014 and somethings just need to be retired and put to rest. I still have the gas lantern and stove in my arsenal but I don't even pack it when I camp. Not sure why I even have it. Why go through the hazzle.

Bobby
Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Hey if any of you want to send your old lantern or stove to a good home
Also I've been known to repair/recondition stoves and lanterns for people
Old 07-06-2021, 08:30 PM

Default Coleman Lantern Repair

Hey Mudbug, I don't suppose that offer to fix a Coleman Lantern still stands does it?! I have an old one that just won't stay pressurized, despite changing the leather to a newer model. I could definitely use some help!
Old 07-06-2021, 09:53 PM

Sounds like you have a stuck check valve. Pull the pump out and spray something like pb blaster in there and let it soak. You can then try tapping the little ball valve with a small punch and hammer ( gently). If this doesn’t work then you will need a check valve wrench to pull out the valve and service it.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:15 PM

Awesome, thanks. I'll give that a shot and report back!
Old 07-10-2021, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I took out the pump and the sprayed in some PB 50 and let it sit there for a few hours, and was able to take out the check valve with a screwdriver. I got everything put back together, and I'm now able to pressurize the unit to a point. After a few pumps, it seems that the check valve must get blocked again, as the pump is no longer able to run smoothly and the pressure seems to build up in the pump cylinder.

My sense is that I need to spend some more time on the check valve.

Last edited by Boler; 07-10-2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-11-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boler View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I took out the pump and the sprayed in some PB 50 and let it sit there for a few hours, and was able to take out the check valve with a screwdriver. I got everything put back together, and I'm now able to pressurize the unit to a point. After a few pumps, it seems that the check valve must get blocked again, as the pump is no longer able to run smoothly and the pressure seems to build up in the pump cylinder.

My sense is that I need to spend some more time on the check valve.
Are you unscrewing the pump 1/2 a turn before pumping it?
Old 07-11-2021, 09:06 AM

I'm new the the vintage lantern world myself, I have a good condition 335 from '77, and what I think is a 242-B from '48 that needs a lot of work.

I've seen guys online pull the check valve, then gently re-seat the ball by hitting it into the body of the valve with a punch and hammer.

Youtube has a plethora of videos, maybe you've been there already. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Are you unscrewing the pump 1/2 a turn before pumping it?
Good question! Initially I didn't and was wondering what was going on, however once I started to do it correctly, I'll find that I can pressurize normally for a bit, and then it seems to catch and not let me pressurize any more, so I'm wondering if the ball valve has some more junk that needs to be cleaned up.

And I totally agree about the YouTube videos - Lots to go through
Old 07-11-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boler View Post
Good question! Initially I didn't and was wondering what was going on, however once I started to do it correctly, I'll find that I can pressurize normally for a bit, and then it seems to catch and not let me pressurize any more, so I'm wondering if the ball valve has some more junk that needs to be cleaned up.

And I totally agree about the YouTube videos - Lots to go through

On a full tank of fuel is does not take very many pumps to be fully pressurized. Once pressure is built up the pump will not allow more pressure to be forced in as there is no place for the excess pressure to go. That odd feel is Coleman's way of telling you to stop pumping.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
On a full tank of fuel is does not take very many pumps to be fully pressurized. Once pressure is built up the pump will not allow more pressure to be forced in as there is no place for the excess pressure to go. That odd feel is Coleman's way of telling you to stop pumping.
Fair point, though wouldn't I feel the pressure generally increasing and get more and more difficult to pump in, which would then tell me it is pressurized? My current situation feels like I am getting pressure and then abruptly it seems like the pump locks.