Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Default More GM Recalls

Holy crap, how many more vehicles will get recalled before Auto makers will own up to mistakes before they are forced to by legal action?? 14 million vehicles in total that need to be fixed? OUCH! Definitely an expensive year for GM!

General Motors doesn't release a recall every day, but you could be forgiven for thinking it does.

Less than a week after issuing four recalls for 2.7 million vehicles, the nation's largest automaker today announced an additional four recalls covering 2.4 million cars, pickups and SUVs. While none of the safety problems GM revealed today have been linked to deaths, a few are serious enough for GM to tell dealers they can't sell the models until fixed and, in one instance, informed owners to not let passengers ride in the front seat.

The four recalls revealed today include:

— 1,339,355 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia full-size crossovers from the 2009-2014 model years and Saturn Outlooks from 2009-2010, because front safety lap belt cables can wear out over time. GM says it will stop selling new Traverses, Enclaves and Acadias until the repairs can be made.

— 1,075,102 Chevrolet Malibus from the 2004-2008 model years and Pontiac G6s from the 2005-2008 model years with 4-speed automatic transmissions. A sister car, the Saturn Aura, was recalled in April for shift cables that could wear out over time, making it impossible to put the car in the right gear or park, or remove the key. GM says it's now adding the other models due to reports of 18 crashes and one injury among Malibu/G6 owners; it's unclear why GM didn't recall all the affected models in April.

— 1,402 new 2015 Cadillac Escalades and Escalade ESVs for a weak plastic weld that attaches the passenger side air bag to the instrument panel, which could keep the air bag from fully deploying in a crash. GM says dealers will stop selling new Escalades until they're fixed, and has sent overnight letters to 224 Escalade owners telling them to not let people sit in the front passenger seat.

— 58 Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD full-size pickups from the 2015 model year for clips that hold the generator fuse block to the body, which can come loose and lead to a potential fire.

Taken together, GM says the new recalls bring the total it's set aside for fixing defective vehicles to $1.7 billion this year, stretching back to the ignition problem in 2.6 million cars tied to 13 deaths. with some 29 separate recalls issued so far this year.

Last week, GM admitted it had broken federal law on vehicle recalls, agreeing to pay a $35 million fine to federal auto safety regulators and allow them broad oversight of the company's practices for the next year. So far in 2014, GM has said it needs to fix nearly 14 million vehicles, and given how frequently it's discovering problems, that total seems poised to rise further.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...154930843.html
Old 05-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Some of these recalls seem to be a little far reaching. I'm not entirely sure without seeing the complete details but recalling stuff for cables that "wear out over time" seems normal. Maybe is wears put prematurely but everything is gonna wear out when your dealing with something that is not designed to last for eternity.

I'm all for recalls for serious safety defects but if you recall every potential problem for every single scenario that can possibly happen there will not be a car on the road with less than 20 recalls.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Its unbelievable.When you are paying $40-$50000.for a vehicle it should not be unreasonable to expect it to last at least past the warranty.Sadly few of them do.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic View Post
Some of these recalls seem to be a little far reaching. I'm not entirely sure without seeing the complete details but recalling stuff for cables that "wear out over time" seems normal. Maybe is wears put prematurely but everything is gonna wear out when your dealing with something that is not designed to last for eternity.

I'm all for recalls for serious safety defects but if you recall every potential problem for every single scenario that can possibly happen there will not be a car on the road with less than 20 recalls.
I guess my point was, why do they wait until they are forced to make SERIOUS recalls to make the smaller recalls? It looks bad on them, and costs them millions in fines, law suits and costs for fixing the stuff out of the blue. I'd be more willing to accept a recall if they issued them within a reasonable amount of time but waiting until they're forced to is pretty sad....

How would you feel if you bought a new house and they didn't tell you about faulty shingles until your roof collapsed from rot?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=Dynamic;2440448]Some of these recalls seem to be a little far reaching. I'm not entirely sure without seeing the complete details but recalling stuff for cables that "wear out over time" seems normal. Maybe is wears put prematurely but everything is gonna wear out when your dealing with something that is not designed to last for eternity.

I guess it depends on the definition of premature wear. Is a 10 year old truck with 100k miles on it the same as a 3 year old one with the same miles? Which one would be safer?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:05 PM

Probably why GM is referred to "Government Motors". Same manure, different pile!!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
Probably why GM is referred to "Government Motors". Same manure, different pile!!
Holy crap now All the camaro's built sice 2010 are getting recalled!! I read an article that said a total of 13.7 million gm vehicles recalled since January! I'd be ****ed if I was a gm owner!!! It sure is a pity cause I actually don't mind the look of the new 1/2 tons. As much as it hurts to say it is even consider taking one for a test drive if I was looking for a new truck... Not until all this gets figured out though! Hope nobody else gets injured from their irresponsibility!
Old 06-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

John Oliver has something to say about this, love his humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQ44RDOAx4
Old 06-14-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

haha that's pretty good!
Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 AM
Banned

Jeebus, the girlfriend owns a 2013 chev cruze with the 1.4 turbo.

Quote:
GM has explained Thursday's mysterious notice to dealers to stop delivering Chevrolet Cruze compacts with 1.4-liter turbo engines: GM has recalled those Cruze models for a potentially defective right front axle shaft that "can fracture and separate without warning" while underway.

Stop delivering cars?
Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 AM

I may be wrong so please chime in as my memory has a few holes in it from time to time..But how can GM afford all these recalls,law suits etc..when it seems like it wasn't all that long ago when all the big auto manufactures were crying for monetary help as they were all in financial crises according their Books anyway...And why does just a good decent vehicle that we are hoping to drive past the warranty stage cost upwards of 50grand..You drive these pieces of junk off the lot and you have already lost money on them...what a scam that is!! Geez now I'm guzzling hot coffee like it's whiskey..

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I may be wrong so please chime in as my memory has a few holes in it from time to time..But how can GM afford all these recalls,law suits etc..when it seems like it wasn't all that long ago when all the big auto manufactures were crying for monetary help as they were all in financial crises according their Books anyway...And why does just a good decent vehicle that we are hoping to drive past the warranty stage cost upwards of 50grand..You drive these pieces of junk off the lot and you have already lost money on them...what a scam that is!! Geez now I'm guzzling hot coffee like it's whiskey..
I'm sure they'll make it all back by putting up prices and raising all those "extra" fees that you pay when you buy a new vehicle.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:

Wow, that was incredibly great stinging sarcasm! Loved it.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

You know, I never really thought about it before, but our whole family used to drive nothing but GM's. Now. Not a single one. I think my brother was the last to own a GM in our family, about 3 years ago.

Anyone that has looked through almost any vehicle these days can see why crap like this happens. Wires hanging all over the place exposed to the elements under the vehicle, using clips instead of clamps on hoses, plastic clips instead of nuts and bolts, etc, just a whole bunch of stuff designed to save 5cents over and over again on $40,000 vechicles.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I guess my point was, why do they wait until they are forced to make SERIOUS recalls to make the smaller recalls? It looks bad on them, and costs them millions in fines, law suits and costs for fixing the stuff out of the blue. I'd be more willing to accept a recall if they issued them within a reasonable amount of time but waiting until they're forced to is pretty sad....

How would you feel if you bought a new house and they didn't tell you about faulty shingles until your roof collapsed from rot?
The 35 million fine is only one day of sales for g.m.
hardly a deterant.imagine if a multiple homicide charge was one days wage just to put it in perspective.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cause it wasn't just a bailout, the US government bought shares to the tune of something like $50 billion dollars. They bought shares of chrysler as well but sold it off to Fiat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-sale/3925515/
Old 06-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Cause it wasn't just a bailout, the US government bought shares to the tune of something like $50 billion dollars. They bought shares of chrysler as well but sold it off to Fiat.

Okay..Thanks that was the part i was not aware of..Now if only the good old US OF A could put some of the profit they made off that back into useful things other than just lining some very high ranking officials already full pockets..hey that goes on in Canada as well, so i guess that must make it right..oops burnt my mouth again on that last coffee!

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Okay..Thanks that was the part i was not aware of..Now if only the good old US OF A could put some of the profit they made off that back into useful things other than just lining some very high ranking officials already full pockets..hey that goes on in Canada as well, so i guess that must make it right..oops burnt my mouth again on that last coffee!
Sadder still is the Canadian government did the same. When they bailed out GM, joe public (in a sense) became shareholders but reaped no rewards. Interesting how stuff works in government eh?

http://business.financialpost.com/20...r-1-1-billion/
Old 06-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Sadder still is the Canadian government did the same. When they bailed out GM, joe public (in a sense) became shareholders but reaped no rewards. Interesting how stuff works in government eh?

http://business.financialpost.com/20...r-1-1-billion/
Interesting indeed..had i known i was going to be bent over the table for my entire life by the powers that be and are supposed to do things in the peoples best interest...i would have got myself a comfy pillow!!

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Read the above link. The Tax payers lost 10billion on saving GM. They didn't make a cent!

The taxpayer loss on the GM bailout is $10.5 billion. The Treasury department said it recovered $39 billion from selling its GM stake, and had put $49.5 billion of taxpayer money directly into the GM bailout

Old 06-14-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Read the above link. The Tax payers lost 10billion on saving GM. They didn't make a cent!

The taxpayer loss on the GM bailout is $10.5 billion. The Treasury department said it recovered $39 billion from selling its GM stake, and had put $49.5 billion of taxpayer money directly into the GM bailout

Thanks for the info fordtruckin..i had not read the the link,was in a bit of a rush when i was typing..company dropped by...i appreciate your help with that..
Thanks

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Banned

Do like me, just buy $4-5000 out of warranty vehicles.
You can drive them for a lot of years before you've raked up 40 grand in repairs.
If you buy 2 or more then you have always one that drives and time to fix the broke one..
I currently have 4 GM diesel trucks, oldest a 95, newest an 07.
I paid under 15 grand for the lot.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:38 PM

i think with all these recalls, GM is just being careful and recalling every car that has an issue.

most of them are pretty minor, except for the one on my car of course haha.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Banned

The gf called the dealer yesterday, bring it in was the answer - they need to double check to make sure hers is under recall. Yep, sure is but it'll take 5-6 weeks to get the part in from the states.

The recall was on the books since March, but owners weren't notified.