Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 01:50 PM

Default family plan cell phone suggestions needed

What is the best value for a family plan...4 cell phones?

Likely there are a number of you that have researched this already. Just hoping to get your wisdom in making my decision.

Thanks

SDF
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

I switched both my kids and my wife to Wind last month. $35 each for unlimited talk text data and voicemail. All seem happy with the service so far, and I like the price.

Downside is it only works in the big cities for that price. Outside of the big cities it is roaming on Roger's network.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I switched both my kids and my wife to Wind last month. $35 each for unlimited talk text data and voicemail. All seem happy with the service so far, and I like the price.

Downside is it only works in the big cities for that price. Outside of the big cities it is roaming on Roger's network.
Did that include a phone?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 AM

I just made the same inquiry at the cell kiosk in Costco yesterday. I didn't get into great detail with them but it seemed that family plans really only applied to the 'deluxe' plans which is not what I was interested in (I'm too frugal). If I recall, it was $70/month for 1st phone and $50/month for subsequent phones. It was a very large data plan. I believe the phone (I think they had everything but Iphones) was about $20 dollars but included a $100 Costco gift card.

If you just want the bare package, the family plan doesn't make sense as the el cheapo price is between $30-$40 month with varying amounts of data allowance. Again, the device is about $20 dollars and includes a $100 costco gift card.

If I recall, it was Virgin mobile I was looking at but they had other providers. Not sure what I'll decide on but my oldest kid is 15, very active in sports, etc and is at the point where a phone would make my life easier.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Did that include a phone?
No, but you get a discount if you bring a phone with you.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 AM

What are you looking for as far as minutes and data?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 AM

We went with a Costco kiosk Bell 2 year plan for my wife and daughter. Not cheap but we're not in a large center to take advantage of something like Wind Mobile. We got a plan with unlimited talk and text anywhere in Canada and 1G data plan shared between both devices. Monthly bill for both is $125 I believe. Ended up getting both phones (Sony Xperia Z) for no extra cost and $250 worth of Costco gift cards.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Sears .ca has some fairly interesting offerings.
http://www.searsconnect.ca/index.php?id=202
Their plain jane talk/text plan is 15.70 a month. I like that
Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
What are you looking for as far as minutes and data?
Not sure.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM

Default We are also shopping

My son says my antique flip phone is embarasssing but it still works for $30 a month and i am cheap.
We talked to Costco kiosk while shopping as well thinking the benefit aside from Costco bucks was all providers and phone makes under one roof.
As I recall we were faced with 3 plans that included 2 new phones unlimited talk or text anywhere in Canada and 500 mb of data. 2 of the cheaper phones Xperia I think. $110.

For $120 same details except one phone upgraded to Galaxy S4

For $130 both phones upgraded to Galaxy S4

there was something about costco gift certificates but I am not sure on details.
I said to guy in kiosk these would be 3 times what we pay now and he said it would make sense to drop home phone line for $40 savings to justify it. Landline number could be transferred to one of the cell phones as the farm number is well established for us and bird business so dont want to drop it and disappear for past friends and clients.
Still thinking about it

Just for argument sake I thought S4 was top of line but my son just upgraded to HTC as he feels S4 is lower quality
Old 06-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not sure.
Fair enough.

Going by what a couple others have posted regarding family plans, you may want to take a look at getting individual plans with Koodo. Depending on your needs they can be fairly cost effective and they use the Telus network so you get great coverage.

Phones can be had for free or for reasonable prices depending on the phone you want, and whether you want to finance the phone in as part of your plan depending on the Tab you choose - lots of options.

Also, no contract so if you don't like it you can walk away with no extra fees

Plans
https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/p...Lpq3MVT07w_wcB

Phones
https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/models/index.html

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams