Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 AM

Default Hunting on unposted land

So what's your thoughts on huning on land that doesn"t have a sign posted ? Do you go ahead without permission or stay off until the landowner is contacted ?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 AM

Still trespassing if you don't have permission
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Still trespassing if you don't have permission

^^^^^^^^ X2

If its private land it's still trespassing!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
So what's your thoughts on huning on land that doesn"t have a sign posted ? Do you go ahead without permission or stay off until the landowner is contacted ?
Is it obviously private land [fenced or tilled]??
Old 12-01-2012, 08:12 AM

What's your point about "obviously private"
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 AM

Some land in areas where I hunt is adjacent to Crown Land....looks like Crown Land....BUT is not Crown Land. Also some of the land the looks like Crown Land is Crown grazing lands....

A county map will tell you these things.

I had to track a wounded deer this year and was granted permission to do so by the land owners....only way to know was I had access to a county map.

LC
Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM

Why does private land have to be posted, fenced or tilled? It's fricken private land, it's the same as saying if the door to a house is unlocked and there is no sign it's an open invitation to come right in.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 AM

100% stay off until land owner is contacted and permission is given. It's private land.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Why does private land have to be posted, fenced or tilled? It's fricken private land, it's the same as saying if the door to a house is unlocked and there is no sign it's an open invitation to come right in.
x2
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Private being the key word !
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM

The OP should google the alberta petty trespass act.......
Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 AM

I think the way the OP posed the question.....he has a story to tell, not necessarily about himself....but maybe not

LC
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Gone Hunting

In another time and place "owning land" was viewed differently.

“I helped him tip over a stump or two. He said that the owner of the land had given him leave to get them out, but it seemed to me a condescension for him to ask any man’s leave to grub up these stumps. The stumps to those who can use them, I say,--to those who will split them. He might as well ask leave of the farmer to shoot the musquash and the meadow-hen, or I might as well ask leave to look at the landscape.”

Henry David Thoreau

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM

come hunt on my land without permission and find out.

guns dont kill people, fathers with attractive daughters kill people.

"every bullet from a 30-06 is guided downrange by God himself" - Huntinstuff
Old 12-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
In another time and place "owning land" was viewed differently.

“I helped him tip over a stump or two. He said that the owner of the land had given him leave to get them out, but it seemed to me a condescension for him to ask any man’s leave to grub up these stumps. The stumps to those who can use them, I say,--to those who will split them. He might as well ask leave of the farmer to shoot the musquash and the meadow-hen, or I might as well ask leave to look at the landscape.”

Henry David Thoreau
Is that an example of owning land being viewed differently?

It seems to me it an example of the have-nots being jealous of the haves. Because that happens an awful lot still these days. How often do you see the average folk talking down about the rich, saying that because they have managed to aquire more, that they should somehow be obligated to pay for things for everyone else? All the damn time. It makes me sick. Frickin Liberals.

That is what I see in your quote. HDT and his pal seem to think that the landowner somehow owes them certain rights or priveldges on his land. gag.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Gone Hunting

It was OK in Saskatchewan 12-20 y ago.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 12-01-2012, 10:02 AM

I was hunting with my buddy near Glendon on rememberance day weekend on some sections he has permission on (un posted family land). We set up in our groundblind for last light in a treeline, in the 45min before last light 3 different trucks drove in the field, 2 within 10ft of our blind, none had permission. on the drive home i asked my buddy why his uncles dont put up signs, he said because they either get ignored or ripped down. Each year my buddy phones his uncles and asks for permission before we head up there and they say "mike, why do you bother asking, no one else does". one of the trucks even stopped and told us he had seen "lots of deer crossing out of the crown land at the corner", it is not crown land, it is a bush quater of the uncles section which meet crown land on the other side (if you actually walk in there, there is an old cattle fence at the boundary. I felt really sad and angry that these honest farmers basically get their crop off and cattle in and then hunker down in their houses for hunting season.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
It was OK in Saskatchewan 12-20 y ago.
ok with landowners or ok with 'hunters'?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
ok with landowners or ok with 'hunters'?
It was written into the Sask laws...land unfenced and unposted was good to go, treat it like crown.

LC
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It was written into the Sask laws...land unfenced and unposted was good to go, treat it like crown.

LC
dosent mean it was ok, the wife's uncles farm 17quaters near Carrot River, they post signs and they just get torn down, so they dont bother now, cost too much to keep replacing them.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM

The people I hunt with do not hunt unposted land unless we are CERTAIN it's crown land.
We also do not hunt on posted land unless we have permission.
pretty simple, actually.
Iif you doon't have permission, don't go.
Cat
Old 12-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
come hunt on my land without permission and find out.
You and I both my man!!! I won't go off on a rant about this...... again. The fact remains I also will defend my land against trespassers my land is posted, fenced and protected by 2 German shepherds so stay the F#&K OFF simple as that
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
dosent mean it was ok, the wife's uncles farm 17quaters near Carrot River, they post signs and they just get torn down, so they dont bother now, cost too much to keep replacing them.
I was just pointing out how it used to be in Sask....

I agree with you, and for my own piece of mind I need to know that I am ok/allowed to be where I am....

If I hunted in Saskatchewan I would want to know whose land I was on if it fell into the "have at er" category regardless...

LC
Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The people I hunt with do not hunt unposted land unless we are CERTAIN it's crown land.
We also do not hunt on posted land unless we have permission.
pretty simple, actually.
Iif you doon't have permission, don't go.
Cat
The onus is on you to determine which is Crown land and which is private property and sometimes it gets muddled. Provincial Crown land and land owned by municipalities, not to mention Grazing leases and other dispositions. Different rules apply. Correct me if I' m wrong, but I can't be bothered to search right now. Two kinds of Trespass charges, Petty trespass and trespass under the Wildlife Act.

Grizz
Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM

I'm finding county maps on line ranging from about $20 to $80, does that seem like appropriate pricing? Where is the best place to purchase county maps?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post

It seems to me it an example of the have-nots being jealous of the haves. Because that happens an awful lot still these days. How often do you see the average folk talking down about the rich, saying that because they have managed to aquire more, that they should somehow be obligated to pay for things for everyone else? All the damn time. It makes me sick. Frickin Liberals.

That is what I see in your quote. HDT and his pal seem to think that the landowner somehow owes them certain rights or priveldges on his land. gag.

Exactly my point. It "seems" you view owning land means you are now the king of that piece of the world and you can fence it and post it and patrol the perimeter with a gun to keep the undesirables off of your kingdom.

And many people do not respect others property and have the attitude they can go on any land they want and do what ever they want.

As I said attitudes have changed on both sides.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The onus is on you to determine which is Crown land and which is private property and sometimes it gets muddled. Provincial Crown land and land owned by municipalities, not to mention Grazing leases and other dispositions. Different rules apply. Correct me if I' m wrong, but I can't be bothered to search right now. Two kinds of Trespass charges, Petty trespass and trespass under the Wildlife Act.

Grizz
Like I said, unless I am CERTAIN, don't access.
The last thing I have to worry about is tresspass charges, because i don't.
cat
Old 12-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post

Many years ago all land and game belonged to the crown, hanging offence if caught in possession or trespassing. . Now all game is held in the public trust . Our fore fathers lived with the old ways and seen injustice. Our system is geared toward free roaming ie a man of good intent (presumed innocence) has no concern for "ownership" as we all own the game and in days gone bye acted in a manner befitting good intent. Now we are slowly moving back to the dark ages where idiocy on both sides ie greed and disrespect move us away form the ideas put In place by those who lived thru the prior system . "Signs sings every where signs breakn up the scenery,messn my mind, do this ,don't do that. Can't you read the signs"
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I was hunting with my buddy near Glendon on rememberance day weekend on some sections he has permission on (un posted family land). We set up in our groundblind for last light in a treeline, in the 45min before last light 3 different trucks drove in the field, 2 within 10ft of our blind, none had permission. on the drive home i asked my buddy why his uncles dont put up signs, he said because they either get ignored or ripped down. Each year my buddy phones his uncles and asks for permission before we head up there and they say "mike, why do you bother asking, no one else does". one of the trucks even stopped and told us he had seen "lots of deer crossing out of the crown land at the corner", it is not crown land, it is a bush quater of the uncles section which meet crown land on the other side (if you actually walk in there, there is an old cattle fence at the boundary. I felt really sad and angry that these honest farmers basically get their crop off and cattle in and then hunker down in their houses for hunting season.
I hunt near there as well on two quarters owned by a good friend. By your description it sounds like very similar the same spot. Nobody that we know of hunted his property without permission. His land is posted though and the ones not posted around him seemed to have a lot of activity but it all seemed legit to me.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM

instead of listening to all the ranting and raving and making of idle threats , oh geez golly just come on my land see what happens, shuv the land up that guys rear and start reading laws and knowing where you stand ,and using respect for others property and know the laws, stay with in those laws and right and do some home work, its amazing what all the know it alls,and Dudly do righters, will actually learn, and how wide open their eyes will get, when one knows all the laws and info, all you need is rt in front of you on yer computer screen, just type in trespassing act Alberta
http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/P11.pdf
i have a friend that purchased a 1/4 of land from a ducks unlimited auction a few years back, he was out on his property target shooting, all of a sudden(new guy to the area with a big little man syndrome attitude) this guy that bought some adjoining land comes roaring in on my friends land bounced his quad rt out of his truck upside down, jumped out of his truck and proceeded to tell my friend to get off of that land he had no rt being on on that property shooting, (that it was ducks unlimited property and was not public property) my friend told him he owned the property and to pound sand, well the guy called the cops , cops show up instead of investigating my friends claim to the property, took the other guys side, confiscated his fire arms, my friend then drove directly to head office in REGINA wth his title claim, by the time he got home the RCMP was back with a written apology,and was looking at a one month suspension , and his fire arms were returned at the same time, and the guy that came roaring up demanding my friend get off his own property was charged with harassment and trespassing, so it pays to know where you stand , who actually owns the property , and to do some research before you act , and decide to go on a piece of property
its simple, if you don't own it don't enter it, don't touch it , ask first , use respect , thats all most people ask of you , is that really hard to grasp , or do ??????

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 12-01-2012 at 11:27 AM.