Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-09-2016, 08:56 PM

Holy crap, I'm not even sure how I got onto such an old thread. Sorry about dragging this up from the past.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Banned

With the passing of Bob Scamell threads like this are going to become much more common. No one is sticking up for the public on crown land access issues now. Grazing lessee's have control of who can trespass and how twelve months of the year now on most leases. He and friends can camp, hunt, fish,drive around, and just relax now on their private estates. They can also block access to other crown land. This was all brought up on another thread during hunting season and hunters just wanted to defend lessee's so they wouldn't offend them. This is a case where sheep are not only being led to slaughter but are paying the butchers at least forty million dollars per year for the privilege.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM

Don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel Ivan!
Cat
Old 12-10-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Yup , doesnt matter to me that someone brought this thread back to life , we have experts on the subject now . I feel for you jify , frustrating as he77 when you try and give folks the benefit of the doubt and they dump on you .
Old 12-10-2016, 08:15 AM

I have a question that's related to this thread. What if the landowner posts his land with NO HUNTING signs, can he still "Legally" give someone permission to hunt his property, or does the property need to be posted with NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:25 AM

ITS His land he can do what he wants ,and if he posts it no Hunting YES he can still hunt it .
Old 12-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
So what's your thoughts on huning on land that doesn"t have a sign posted ? Do you go ahead without permission or stay off until the landowner is contacted ?
Test question eh! I say go on hunt and I am sure sooner or later the landowner will find you .
Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG AL View Post
I have a question that's related to this thread. What if the landowner posts his land with NO HUNTING signs, can he still "Legally" give someone permission to hunt his property, or does the property need to be posted with NO HUNTING WITHOUT PERMISSION?
Old wives tale as pertaining to ALBERTA apparently this is true out east somewhere....but not here.

LC
Old 12-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Old wives tale as pertaining to ALBERTA apparently this is true out east somewhere....but not here.

LC
Thankfully Alberta didn't choose to adopt most of those silly regulations that are used elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380
So what's your thoughts on huning on land that doesn"t have a sign posted ? Do you go ahead without permission or stay off until the landowner is contacted ?
If I don't have permission, I don't enter the land.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cat
Yeah it's just hilarious, and hunters are the ones paying the highest price. As a moderator I would expect you would be aware of how many access rights we have lost. How do you justify lessee's having their own private hunting reserve on our land? When they are supposed to be leasing the right to pasture cattle only?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan S View Post
Yeah it's just hilarious, and hunters are the ones paying the highest price. As a moderator I would expect you would be aware of how many access rights we have lost. How do you justify lessee's having their own private hunting reserve on our land? When they are supposed to be leasing the right to pasture cattle only?
Why is it that a moderator must we be aware of how many access rights we have lost , that is not part and parcel to my duties in this forum.
What some of my duties ARE however is making sure that threads stay respectful and on track .
Cat
Old 12-10-2016, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan S View Post
But this thread was brought back by an individual looking for solutions on his property not leases?
Start your own thread with situations?

You do what you wish but the original question was about property not leases.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
what about hunting on posted crown lands?
Why would crown land be posted?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Many crown leases have signage pertaining to access and rules of use. For example, "Foot Access Only" or "No access while cattle present"

LC

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-10-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Our range is on crown leased land as is every oil sands site up here as well as a few horse leases , junk yards, etc.....
Cat
Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cause the leaseholder, and his buddies are hunting it.
If you think this isolated case, you don't hunt where I do.

Ivan knows what goes on. Suspended? Too bad. He is a good source of information.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Our range is on crown leased land as is every oil sands site up here as well as a few horse leases , junk yards, etc.....
Cat
Well that just doesn't sound right.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
But it is true .
We don't own the land where our range is, we have a lease , same as oil companies only I can only imagine theirs us a different type- ours is a miscenlanious lease .
There are leases out of town for horses , small parcels but they are there .
Cat
Old 12-10-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The lease has to be renewed on a regular basis, and in many cases, the lease holder has to put up money to clean up the lease if it is abandoned for some reason.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:53 AM

I've heard of grazing leases in BC, and we aren't supposed to hunt on them if cattle are present. But lots of them aren't even fenced. It sounds like there are a lot more leases and a whole bunch more private property in Alberta compared to here. It must be difficult at times to even find a hunting spot that isn't over run with hunters?
Old 12-10-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I've heard of grazing leases in BC, and we aren't supposed to hunt on them if cattle are present. But lots of them aren't even fenced. It sounds like there are a lot more leases and a whole bunch more private property in Alberta compared to here. It must be difficult at times to even find a hunting spot that isn't over run with hunters?
I never have had a problem hunting grazing leases with permission down south or up here on crown land .
Cat
Old 12-10-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Test question eh! I say go on hunt and I am sure sooner or later the landowner will find you .
Not intended as a test . pretty simple in fact . If you don't have permission you don't go on . Is go on and hunt hunt your final answer ? lol
Old 12-10-2016, 07:16 PM

I'm a land owner as well, I know a lot of landowners and still ask for permission, as simple as it is, landowners respect goes way up for a hunter who wants to enter his land. Unlike the one fellow who tried chasing down a white tail across my hayfield and got chased several miles down a gravel road.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:23 PM

I'd say probably 90% of my hunting is on private land, most of it posted and most of the landowners have a reputation for not allowing hunting, but I've only once been denied.
I believe it is my responsibility to find out whether or not land is private and then to seek permission from the appropriate persons. I like this system and think that a greater amount of hunters treating the landowners with above and beyond respect would make the biggest impact in my area. On the other hand I've found landowners/managers to be quite perspective of what kind of person you are when you talk to them.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:11 PM

Just make sure you license plate is snow covered or mud covered and fill your boots, hahahaha.

I made a mistake once and thought it was crown but it was just a snow covered piece of private and got my pee pee slapped. 10 years ago and maps have been my cheaper alternative since. Really thought wmus with a 5 in front was all crown

People do make mistakes but with technology, no excuse.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Banned

Not posted means come and ask for permission, if your respectful with descent appearance you may get it. Posted means don't bother me
Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
It was written into the Sask laws...land unfenced and unposted was good to go, treat it like crown.

LC
Check the other trespass laws in Sask. You can be charged under them if you are on private land without pernmission.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 AM

I started this thread a while back. (see below) Our land was mostly unposted. The Use Respect signs were long gone. However, it's a weekend lake property and I was out there doing tiling on an August Sunday a couple summers ago when someone with a rifle started shooting by the creek maybe 200-300 yards away. Friends staying at the cabin, who like to hike around the property have also reported shooting. Last year a neighbour in the subdivision backing onto our property said someone had shot a moose and left much if it on the property and their dogs kept running over to it...

So we've had to put up some No Tresspassing and No Hunting signs. I'd like to take down the No Tresspassing signs but will be leaving up the No Hunting signs.

Friendly signage?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=3297533

Last edited by KinAlberta; 12-11-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Not posted means come and ask for permission, if your respectful with descent appearance you may get it. Posted means don't bother me
For some landowners this is the case. Even if its posted I will still go ask the landowner, some landowners post their land to make people think twice about shooting something on posted land and trespassing. But if you go ask them they will let respectable and responsible people on. Just from my experience. What I hate is the landowners that chew you out for even asking. Or for sitting on a public road (or private with permission) in my truck next to their land trying to figure out my landowner map (or watching an animal on their place) if I have permission all around their land. some of those fences are hard to follow from a map. Almost all the landowners i've dealt with have been great and will even point you in the right direction to places you can hunt around theirs. just be respectful and most landowners will be the same.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28 AM

i miss robin