Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2014, 02:13 PM

Smile Cost of services to acreage.

Hi can anyone tell me how I can find out how much it would cost to have gas,power,well,septic put in on an acreage ? We are looking around Sundre ,Caroline area,and are not sure weather it is cheaper to go with a "raw acreage" or one that has everything on it already ! House included (maybe!!!) I thank you indvance for your info and time ! Cathy
Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM

Without more detail hard to say but you looking 40-60 grand
Old 06-15-2014, 04:03 PM

It is not cheap, I think you are better off with an established acreage, at least everything is there and no surprises, and the road/driveway is build those are all big extra's.

But by buying an established acreage I would ask questions about the septic and water, like how old the septic field/tank is and gallons per minute for water and water quality.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:50 PM

It cost us $50,000 seven years ago, probably 50 to 75 depending what type of field is required or if you can have a pump out.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 PM

1.) Roughly $40/ft for well plus testing... Budget for $8,000-10,000.
2.) Advanced septic treatment if required $50,000 or standard will be around $30,000.
3.) Power and gas depend on how close to the road you are. We are 150m from the road and power was $19,000 and gas was $11,000.

You will have to build a road, I would suggest an excavator clean off your top soil and put down some road base(larger gravel 3-6"), have all of the delivery truck for building material compact it while you do your build, then put road crush down and drive on it for a couple of years(or forever).

Overall, budget for $100,000 and if you come in under it's a bonus.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM

Well is right about 40 a foot.
Electric depends on distance. You need to call fortis. I put a farm service in and they charged zero. They put in one pole and a transformer with the meter on that pole. I of course had to run it from there. I went under ground about 180 meters. Wire was 3500 bucks.
Gas is a flat rate from the coop at abut 5400 I believe.
Septic depends on soil conditions as well as how big the piece of land is. Certain sizes allow for open discharges which is cheaper than runs but you would need to be a fair size for that.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 PM

Well thanks everybody I was not sure who to ask about this ! I appreciate it thank you !
Old 06-15-2014, 09:50 PM

Smile If you are young enough?

As others have said, it can be very expensive and we haven't talked about getting people to come to build the new house.

My advice is, buy the first one, you will learn a lot. Acreage living may or may not be for you. If it is what you want you'll have lots of chances to upgrade later.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Well thanks everybody I was not sure who to ask about this ! I appreciate it thank you !
You could try calling the county of Mountainview (Sundre area) and the land
development department can give you advice about services and permits.

Here is the website with the different area structure plans for country residential development.

http://www.mountainviewcounty.com/planres

The phone number will be on the site too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets