Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 PM

Smile Zama bison

Hey everyone, Im heading up to Zama for this year's Bison hunt and am tossing and turning because I really want to be prepared! Ive been through a lot of the previous posts about this hunt and am realizing i want to go there ready for anything and everything. Has anyone done this hunt before? And also, I am from central alberta and will be driving up with a friend and am trying to locate a snowmobile or two preferably in Zama or nearby. I realize theres a slim chance of tracking one down up there but does any have a buddy or have any ideas? Thanks guys!! Feel free to DM me some details or tips for my trip.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:28 PM

Nothing in zama as for snowmobile rentals, best bet be at Northern Services in HL.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:07 PM

Yup, northern rental in high level, drove by there today, lots of machines in the yard. But there isn't a lot of snow in right now...we are up here too for bison.

We arrived today and started bison scouting in the area...but no tracks or anything...Right now I am sitting at camp trying to get some ideas on where we should focus also, did any of you successful guys just drive around in your truck?

Feel free to pm me with any thoughts, I will share with OP, since I don't want to hijack his post.

Any help is highly appreciated !

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2016, 06:42 PM

Smile

Ther is not much for road names but I will try and post gps of where I found them a few years ago and as a herd animal I believe they winter in the same areas year after year. Keep an eye out for the red markers as its I.R land and changes every year.
40 est... km west of high level is wher I'd start just off 58 get in a few km from the hwy
seen a tonn of buff and hunt camps everywhere.
Good luck.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somehunter View Post
Ther is not much for road names but I will try and post gps of where I found them a few years ago and as a herd animal I believe they winter in the same areas year after year. Keep an eye out for the red markers as its I.R land and changes every year.
40 est... km west of high level is wher I'd start just off 58 get in a few km from the hwy
Good luck.
Wicked, thanks! If you are able to PM me those GPS coordinates that would be awesome, thanks everyone for helping me out so far! Much appreciated
Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 PM

Bump
Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Banned

Cool ... good luck on the hunt !!!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 AM

If your based in zama, drive the roads of the apache field. If you can talk to any apache guys try to get maps and head into the virgo area or shekelie fields. I spent 3 years working up there recently snd seem them everywhere. If the snow gets real deep further south towards the lake seemed better as there are more grasslands.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 AM

My son shot his bull up there yesterday with his muzzle loader. From what I heard there were 5 shot yesterday so the colder temps and bit of snow are starting to get them moving around it looks like.
Can't seem to get a picture to upload so I'll let him post pictures and share his story..
thanks for all the advice guys have sent us about this hunt..

Jim...
Old 12-04-2016, 08:53 AM

Smile

C'mon Jim we need to
Some pics lol. I'm happy to hear your son got his buffalo.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
C'mon Jim we need to
Some pics lol. I'm happy to hear your son got his buffalo.
Ok here's a sneak peck... lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3330.JPG (180.5 KB, 783 views)
Old 12-04-2016, 11:10 AM

Smile

AWESOME!! Did he drop it with one shot ??. Id imagine a muzzle loader would leave no room for error.
We're they anywhere close to the info I sent ya ? Or get em on the south side lake ?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
AWESOME!! Did he drop it with one shot ??. Id imagine a muzzle loader would leave no room for error.
We're they anywhere close to the info I sent ya ? Or get em on the south side lake ?
South of Zama by the Apache gas plant, He made a great shot, only went about 100 yards and stood in the trees, we should of gave him another 15 minutes and that's all it would of taken but we bumped him a bit early and needed a finishing shot to seal the deal.. I tried to get him to not Dick around and finish it with the 338 but he told me to go to h-ll.. his tag his way... lol, glad I leasoned to him.. going to be a highlight of his hunting career for a long time...

PS.. thanks a ton for all your help man, we owe ya...

Jim...
Old 12-04-2016, 11:43 AM

Smile

Lol Its what alot of people call a tag of a lifetime and glad it wasn't met with frustration. How did the moose hunting go ?
Old 12-04-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Lol Its what alot of people call a tag of a lifetime and glad it wasn't met with frustration. How did the moose hunting go ?
Buddy made a nice shot on a 44" bull.. I'll PM you some better pictures when I get back to a real computer..
Old 12-04-2016, 12:27 PM

Sounds good. I look forward to it.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:39 PM

Default Creek due south of the plant

Have take 2 bulls by sticking to the creek south of the Apache Plant meanders to the south west always find a herd in the area! Best of luck to all those hunting!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
Ok here's a sneak peck... lol
Good job you guys congrats
Old 12-05-2016, 05:32 PM

How's the bison sightings and weather up there? Looking to get up there sometime in the next couple of weeks. Good for quad or time to bring sled up? Thanks
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 PM

I'm headed up in a few weeks I also got drawn I'm gonna try archery tackle first and foremost if not the rifle will come out
Old 12-06-2016, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Pictures of success are starting to trickle down now.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
My son shot his bull up there yesterday with his muzzle loader. From what I heard there were 5 shot yesterday so the colder temps and bit of snow are starting to get them moving around it looks like.
Can't seem to get a picture to upload so I'll let him post pictures and share his story..
thanks for all the advice guys have sent us about this hunt..

Jim...
Way cool,congrats!
I've often thought of I ever draw bison tag I'd like to use one of my traditional MLs as well......actually I'd probably go and buy a new big bore ML just for the occasion....Pedersolli .72 double maybe.....cuz any excuse to buy a new rifle is a good one,lol.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Good luck.

Some hunter, I will also be heading up there just after the new year. If you are able to PM me those gps coordinates as well I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
Old 12-08-2016, 07:57 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohnston2 View Post
Some hunter, I will also be heading up there just after the new year. If you are able to PM me those gps coordinates as well I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers
I will send em over as soon as I get back to home base. I'm away from my maps and notes but ther is some really good info in the last 2 Zama threads Also the Apache is producing good.

Tags
bison, high level, rainbow lake, zama