Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 07:57 PM

Default Camp Wainwright 2016 Totals

PW totals:

Deer:63
Moose:32
Elk:1
Old 12-03-2016, 09:04 PM

My wife and I were moose number 32. Dang near didn't get it. Thank you to all the people on the base who helped spotting and passing along information. If I had deer tags man....some nice mule bucks. Good luck in the first rifle
Old 12-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Banned

how does that compare to last years first 3 days?
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM

Thanks for everything Shane, our group had a great time despite our difficulties. It was great to meet you and shoot the breeze. You folks run a top notch hunt. Please pass our thanks on to your co-workers from us.

Maybe next time we'll have some better weather.

Norm
Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Thanks for everything Shane, our group had a great time despite our difficulties. It was great to meet you and shoot the breeze. You folks run a top notch hunt. Please pass our thanks on to your co-workers from us.

Maybe next time we'll have some better weather.

Norm
X2.... great, well organized and run hunt. Thanks for all the info Shane and hope to see you again soon..

Jim...
Old 12-04-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
how does that compare to last years first 3 days?
Back in the "glory days", 63 deer was a typical day 1 total.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:42 AM

Well for our group the hunt started amazing was on deer right at first light. Was going great until I slipped on the ice and broke my Tib and Fib waiting to go for surgery shortly. My friend did manage to get the buck we say when I got hurt. Can't wait to return to the base
Old 12-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Well for our group the hunt started amazing was on deer right at first light. Was going great until I slipped on the ice and broke my Tib and Fib waiting to go for surgery shortly. My friend did manage to get the buck we say when I got hurt. Can't wait to return to the base
That's the ****s dude sorry to hear.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Dang!

At least you were with some buds to help you put. A lot worse places/times that could happen while a guy is out hunting.

Sorry to hear.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:18 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
My wife and I were moose number 32. Dang near didn't get it. Thank you to all the people on the base who helped spotting and passing along information. If I had deer tags man....some nice mule bucks. Good luck in the first rifle
Bags are packed and heading up today. Looking forward to it as it's my first time hunting the base.

PM me if you have info on where you saw the bucks?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-04-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
X2.... great, well organized and run hunt. Thanks for all the info Shane and hope to see you again soon..

Jim...
x3. very well organized and run. Thanks a bunch Shane. Good luck to all those in the rifle season.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I think I spoke to just about everybody in this thread. Of all the text messages I received about tips or successes, getting yours was the one I liked most. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you guys, but congrats on getting it done.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:48 PM

Thanks we definitely appreciated all the help my wife had a blast. It was a hard hunt we had some firearm difficulty lol. After my wife seen everyone elses muzzle loaders I actually got the green light for a new smoke pole. she gets her bull draw next year. Can't wait. Thanks again to everyone. Good luck on your elk.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Hey guys. I am getting pumped for my "last chance hunt" on the base. I got drawn for deer second rifle. I have read through everything on here that has camp wainwright in it. I have never been before but am expecting a cold hard hunt. If anyone has any tips or sightings they want to share with me that would be much appreciated! As this is my last chance to put some meat in our freezer. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Back in the "glory days", 63 deer was a typical day 1 total.
Curious of what years were the "glory days?" when 60+ deer were typical of primitive weapon season day 1.......

S
Old 12-05-2016, 03:20 PM

60 in one day may be a stretch, but have to agree it is not what it used to be. 3 tags per hunter for 5-6 years will do that, especially when you throw in two bad winters. not questioning the management practice because they want the animals gone. what bothers me is that no one seems to want to say it in public, though a lot of the military guys will share their knowledge if you ask them.("kill em all" as i remember one range patrol stating re the elk) my thought is that if they did change it to a trophy hunt, they would still get the hunters to come, book hotels, buy gas, eat at the restaurants, so why not ease on the tag numbers? right now guys reaction is "i waited 5-6 years for a tag, i'm shooting something."
Old 12-05-2016, 04:04 PM

Hunters have selective memory that is not in doubt. The years of 07-13 were fantastic years if you were a hunter in AB. Highest number of animals, tags and harvest. Those years were not the norm.
Here are some quick facts of the past.
1966 104 hunters 13 deer
1970 364 hunters 110 deer
1975 517 hunters 165 deer
1980 492 hunters 142 deer
1985 528 hunters 130 deer
1990 714 hunters 276 deer
1995 713 hunters 341 deer
2000 561 hunters 281 deer
2005 545 hunters 362 deer
2010 611 hunters 465 deer
2015 under 600 hunters 265 deer

Tag numbers have stayed fairly constant over the decades. PW went from 250hunters to 150 hunters in 97, 200 hunters 07-13 back to 150 per hunt now.
Pretty normal year I assume for 2016. The hunt has always been affected by weather, winter and access.

Happy hunting!
S
Old 12-05-2016, 07:42 PM

Are those numbers liscences or tags? There were a number of years one liscence, three tags. How many tags/liscence are issued this year? Thanks.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Are those numbers liscences or tags? There were a number of years one liscence, three tags. How many tags/liscence are issued this year? Thanks.
Not sure where you are going with this. The listed number of licensed hunters vs number of animals harvested is really what matters. Yes some years were three tags per license versus the current two per license. All that aside I think that the number are fairly consistent. Thanks for the info shedcrazy.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM

my point is in the earlier years, one hunter, one tag. a lot of guys would hold out for a good deer, and typically a good buck, leaving the small bucks and does alone. this sets the stage for lots of possible trophies year after year. lately many immature bucks and does taken. that the point i'm making. not disagreeing with it, just making the point. not sure when they started multiple tags.(maybe it was around ten + years ago???)

i'm sure you've viewed the pictures they have of past hunts(like ten years and prior) and the quality of animals shown, compared to the last 5 years. i know they've stopped taking as many pictures, but still do for the good ones. not the same number and quality.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00 AM

The camp hunt for decades has been a 2 tag hunt (since the early 70s at least) minus the few yrs there was a 3rd antlerless tag. There has been changes over the years mainly with mule deer harvest (antlerless, 3 pt and certain areas).

Long wait times seem to change people's expectations and then a need to fill tags. The wait times aren't going away.

Happy hunting!

S
Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM

Default Head submissions

Hey Shed, is your department still doing head submissions for CWD or Tonsil samples?
Two tags and half the participants.
Manage it as a bit of a trophy area. Maybe it's time to change old school thinking and politics. Might be fun to see it as an earn a buck tag. Kill a doe first then recieve an antlered tag. I see some difficulties, but nothing impossible to overcome.
I've hunted Wainwright for 28 years off and on. I last attended the Primitive weapons hunt just after the last bad winter, 2012(?) and it was truly a "waste land", our group of four saw a total of 8 deer. No elk but immature bull moose could be found.
It's time to scale this back a tad.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
my point is in the earlier years, one hunter, one tag. a lot of guys would hold out for a good deer, and typically a good buck, leaving the small bucks and does alone. this sets the stage for lots of possible trophies year after year. lately many immature bucks and does taken. that the point i'm making. not disagreeing with it, just making the point. not sure when they started multiple tags.(maybe it was around ten + years ago???)

i'm sure you've viewed the pictures they have of past hunts(like ten years and prior) and the quality of animals shown, compared to the last 5 years. i know they've stopped taking as many pictures, but still do for the good ones. not the same number and quality.
is there a place to see the photos?
Old 12-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
is there a place to see the photos?
There's photo albums at the orientation full of pictures from years past. Some impressive animals have been taken there before......
Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 PM

It has been hard hunting out here the last two days! Only 10 doe and 6 antlerless moose all day hunting. Cold temps make it hard to walk....last day tomorrow....heat at the bio vista motel isn't working very well so they have space heaters in every room. The base does a great job and the fish and wildlife officer is top notch
Old 12-06-2016, 06:28 PM

Yes, very well run hunt. I've enjoyed every time I've been there. Most are willing to help - especially if you have moose or elk tags. Deer are hard to come by so wouldn't expect another deer hunter to tell me where he's been seeing deer. It's crazy how the cow guys see bulls and the bulls guys see cows!☺

Last edited by bearb8er; 12-06-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Misspellings
Old 12-06-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Yes, very well run hunt. I've enjoyed every time I've been there. Most are willing to help - especially if you have moose or elk tags. Deer are hard to come by so wouldn't expect another deer hunter to tell me where he's been seeing deer. It's crazy how the cow guys see bulls and the bulls guys see cows!☺

Yup so true. I have a bull tag and did not see one today, however we had no problem seeing 6 cows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Hey Shed, is your department still doing head submissions for CWD or Tonsil samples?
Two tags and half the participants.
Manage it as a bit of a trophy area. Maybe it's time to change old school thinking and politics. Might be fun to see it as an earn a buck tag. Kill a doe first then recieve an antlered tag. I see some difficulties, but nothing impossible to overcome.
I've hunted Wainwright for 28 years off and on. I last attended the Primitive weapons hunt just after the last bad winter, 2012(?) and it was truly a "waste land", our group of four saw a total of 8 deer. No elk but immature bull moose could be found.
It's time to scale this back a tad.

Their goal isn't to mange the Camp hunt as a trophy hunt, it's to cull the deer out of there. They're basically allowing hunters to do the culling instead of government staff. Don't expect that to change.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Their goal isn't to mange the Camp hunt as a trophy hunt, it's to cull the deer out of there. They're basically allowing hunters to do the culling instead of government staff. Don't expect that to change.
Yup, I don't think they are worried about if it's a buck or a doe or if it makes book, it's a herd reduction program.

LC
Old 12-06-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
This is absolutely not a cull. It is a hunting opportunity like any other. I can assure you that the animal numbers in the training area have ZERO impact on the training and activities that occur there. The animal densities are very similar to the surrounding areas, no better and no worse. If no animals were taken out of the training area, it wouldn't matter.

Because there were some good animals taken in the past on the Base, people had this false expectation that the Base had a higher trophy potential than other areas, this is not the case. It is the same as outside the Base, but they get less pressure, at least for the initial part of the season. This in turn saw many people applying and long wait times. The impact of the long wait times and high expectations mean that people aren't going to leave without something in the back of the truck.

There is also no appetite to manage this as a trophy hunt. It is simply opening up the training area to the public to give them the chance to hunt on the Base.