Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Default Hike in hunt

I've been hunting for about 4 years now, with some success. Mostly truck hunting. However, this year I did a walk in hunt on some crown land and was successful on landing a gorgeous 6x6 Elk. It was an unreal experience. And a lot of work. But all so much more worth it than truck hunting.
I'm looking to get away from truck hunting. But finding it hard to locate some good walk in hunting areas. I don't want to get a trophy dear in some farmers field. I feel like that would be cheating. I want to earn it.
If anyone knows of any decent areas in the northern part of Alberta, peace river area, or anything west of that towards the BC border, It would be greatly appreciated. Even just some tips. Any things helpful
Old 12-07-2016, 06:20 PM

Please share a photo of your elk. Folks around here love to see those.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up, dont have to ask me twice 😅
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2505.jpg (62.3 KB, 810 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 PM

Congrats on the elk, very nice. And don't kid yourself, finding a true trophy deer anywhere (private land or otherwise) is no easy feat. It's far, far from cheating to hunt private land for trophy animals. If you want a real walk in experience, try chasing sheep, by the sounds of the type of hunting you like, that would be right up your alley. Be careful though, it's crazy addictive, lol
Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Banned

Nevermind
Old 12-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Default Congrats and welcome!

An elk like that is a true trophy. You're on a good path that will be very enriching and rewarding.

Welcome to the forum and great handle!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Congrats on the elk, very nice. And don't kid yourself, finding a true trophy deer anywhere (private land or otherwise) is no easy feat. It's far, far from cheating to hunt private land for trophy animals. If you want a real walk in experience, try chasing sheep, by the sounds of the type of hunting you like, that would be right up your alley. Be careful though, it's crazy addictive, lol
Thanks friend! Nice goat btw.
I've been on 3 sheep hunts so far. Haven't been successful yet, but still amazing experiences. I know what you mean, very addicting! Haha
Old 12-08-2016, 05:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrockinthehouse View Post
Thanks for the heads up, dont have to ask me twice 😅
cool !!!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:32 AM

Terrific elk! Congratulations.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Sounds like you already have a good area.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:44 AM

Default Hike in

After you realise that even hiking in a mile from the road eliminates 95% of hunters its easy to become a "hike in hunter" and you don't have to hike far.

We like to hike into the back country in areas where quads aren't allowed. It's fun hunting and we rarely see others.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
This is true, taking a trophy on farm land is no cakewalk. That being said, the wilderness hunt bug can get pretty addictive. I'd rather hunt the wilderness than crop fields any day, regardless of where the chance at a trophy is greatest. Have not hunted agricultural areas at all for at least 6 years now.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrockinthehouse View Post
I've been hunting for about 4 years now, with some success. Mostly truck hunting. However, this year I did a walk in hunt on some crown land and was successful on landing a gorgeous 6x6 Elk. It was an unreal experience. And a lot of work. But all so much more worth it than truck hunting.
I'm looking to get away from truck hunting. But finding it hard to locate some good walk in hunting areas. I don't want to get a trophy dear in some farmers field. I feel like that would be cheating. I want to earn it.
If anyone knows of any decent areas in the northern part of Alberta, peace river area, or anything west of that towards the BC border, It would be greatly appreciated. Even just some tips. Any things helpful
Why wouldn't you stick to the area you got this elk in? It obviously holds game.