Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 06:44 PM

Thumbs down How stupid can they be...

So we have a 4000 acre ranch in the prairies, and today while working we had a guy in a truck come flying through our filed leaving a gate open in the process. He drove right up to us and asked if he could hunt the elk on our property. Now he already had no chance of ever hunting on our farm after doing something like that.
But the worst part is that there is no elk season in our wmu and everything is closed as far as big game goes. So I told him that elk hunting was not allowed in the area, he went on to say he had a general tag and could hunt them. After we told him no he asked if he could hunt some of the mule deer... Seriously some people need to read the regs. Rap was called but he was long gone by the time the officer showed up.

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
So we have a 4000 acre ranch in the prairies, and today while working we had a guy in a truck come flying through our filed leaving a gate open in the process. He drove right up to us and asked if he could hunt the elk on our property. Now he already had no chance of ever hunting on our farm after doing something like that.
But the worst part is that there is no elk season in our wmu and everything is closed as far as big game goes. So I told him that elk hunting was not allowed in the area, he went on to say he had a general tag and could hunt them. After we told him no he asked if he could hunt some of the mule deer... Seriously some people need to read the regs. Rap was called but he was long gone by the time the officer showed up.
You should have " field " a trespassing compliant with RPMC
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 PM

Had a guy from Cowtown call me and ask to hunt mule deer and white tail does on a Tues, in mid Nov. I told him there was no season on Tues down in the 100 wmu.... he argued there was... told him he was a poacher.. He hung up.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 PM

I just don't get these nimrods there will be no where to hunt on private land in 10 years from now thank God I got my own land

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2016, 09:29 PM

Some people are priceless.Was out this past deer season with a landowner when we encountered a couple of trespassers and one of them flatly would not believe the landowner.Told him to check it on a phone and his response was he didn't want to waste his valuable hunting time. His defence was that it was crown land that he was on. By the way there is no crown,or very little, in WMU152.He also stated that he saw way too many vehicles,three, for it to be private land.He also informed us that he had hunted there last year. Property is well posted and I'm sure they knew it.The mouth piece was fortunate that the older landowner is very mild mannered. Then we as hunters wonder why landowners may react the way they do towards hunters.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 PM

Yup, those nimrods are ruining it with my neighbors too....pretty soon no one will be allowed to hunt on their land....sigh. I report trespassers every year...they $&$ up my hunts. Need to lock all gates...sigh...but I guess that doesn't even work. Saw a guy drop another off and he walked a bush near me....then he sped back and picked him up after they saw me.....but the damage was done if u know what I mean.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:59 PM

As a hunter that goes out of my way to make sure I respect the private property I was graciously given permission to hunt on. I find stories like this insulting and embarrassing that good and idiot hunters are all called hunters. I stopped calling these guys hunters , more like idiots with guns tring to kill something. Poacher is too good a word to discribe some of these guys. Most of these idiots are too stupid to be poachers. It used to be that a poacher was someone that knew what they where doing was against the law and tried keep a low profile.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:00 PM

Oh don't get me going again. Usually keep my mouth shut but the guys that figure spotlighting is just fine, looking at other hunters/landowners trail cams is their given right and it's the local "boys" that drive thru fences, drive over swaths etc etc should be here any minute. Workin around Edmonton and it's all posted. Wonder why? They get a moose or mule draw but everyone has a whitetail tag too so the little bucks get whacked. Roll up to you and give ya s---t on your own land. No more!!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:23 PM

I only hunt geese and ducks on the private properties I have permissions for and, believe it or not, I even take my empty shells out with me after the hunt. If I can't collect them the same day, I make sure this is the first thing I do the next time I come. Granted, I try to do the same in the bush when hunting grouse. Lots of folk that can spoil it for everyone, but I am assuming more to the north is not as bad as areas around Edmonton and south of it.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 AM

Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Walmart wierdo...close the gate please.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 AM

op you should of told the guys they could hunt on your land then phoned rap and f&w and reported them and had em busted for there stupidity .
Old 12-09-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I just don't get these nimrods there will be no where to hunt on private land in 10 years from now thank God I got my own land

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Think it will take 10 years ?
Old 12-09-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
Some people are priceless.Was out this past deer season with a landowner when we encountered a couple of trespassers and one of them flatly would not believe the landowner.Told him to check it on a phone and his response was he didn't want to waste his valuable hunting time. His defence was that it was crown land that he was on. By the way there is no crown,or very little, in WMU152.He also stated that he saw way too many vehicles,three, for it to be private land.He also informed us that he had hunted there last year. Property is well posted and I'm sure they knew it.The mouth piece was fortunate that the older landowner is very mild mannered. Then we as hunters wonder why landowners may react the way they do towards hunters.
You wouldn't believe how many people think that EID land is crown.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Pike, please don't take this the wrong way but if I approached you during the summer months on foot walking through your field to your location to discuss hunting permission, what's the chance that a complete stranger like myself would be granted said permission?

The reason I'm asking is I have total respect for land owners / lease owners and I've been met with more "No" answers in doing the above routine than "Yes". It all takes time to visit the land owners and sometimes we don't have the time throughout the spring / summer to visit all. So yes, I would like to come visit you in the spring / summer to talk but sometimes it's just not feasible. This being said, I truly feel that IF I have not talked to a land owner / lease owner prior to mid-August, I can't justify it in my mind to ask for permission as I know these owners will be getting inundated with requests for land access. I'm certainly not in favor of what "buttnut" did; more of an explanation from another point of view?

As far as the buttnut looking for permission to hunt when there is no season open? String him along and get RAP involved.... The regulations are printed for a reason....

BTW Pike.... If you located within X km of Calgary, can I come visit you in the spring? ha ha ha.... Just kidding - I've already got plans in motion for next years hunting locations....

J.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Had a guy from Cowtown call me and ask to hunt mule deer and white tail does on a Tues, in mid Nov. I told him there was no season on Tues down in the 100 wmu.... he argued there was... told him he was a poacher.. He hung up.
Ahh, Yes,, the wannabe City hunters, watch a hunting show on T.V, go to Canadian Tire buy a rifle, some new camo, I am a hunter now!,,,how about you go back to Starbucks, open up your laptop and put your man bun up....
Old 12-09-2016, 08:14 AM

I find it entertaining when we encounter someone that claims that they have permission, but they can't tell us the owner's name, or where they live.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy03 View Post
Ahh, Yes,, the wannabe City hunters, watch a hunting show on T.V, go to Canadian Tire buy a rifle, some new camo, I am a hunter now!,,,how about you go back to Starbucks, open up your laptop and put your man bun up....
Please don't paint all hunters that may live in the city with the same brush.
I live in Calgary, I do not watch hunting shows on tv (I don't even have cable), I do not have a man-bun and Yes I have camo clothing and have purchased some of my firearms from CT and others from WSS. So the **** what?
I have learned all my hunting from my father-in-law, a couple good friends, some books and personal experience.

I respect all landowners and always ask permission to access land for hunting. I do my research before heading out and make sure I follow all the hunting regulations. I do not go out there just to "shoot something", in fact I have been skunked this season. Why? Because I passed up a couple small bucks that I thought would be bigger in the next few years. I am out there for the meat but also for the fun of being in nature.
I camp, hike and fish and if it was up to me, I would not live in the city but in a cabin in the woods.

Some of us don't have the privilege of having our fathers and grandfathers pass down land to us and firearms and experience, etc.
I am not a road hunter and no I do not drive a jacked up diesel truck, don't need one, don't want one.

I agree that there is a lot of idiots out there (personal experience from this season), but not all are from the city.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Troll away buddy, troll away
Old 12-09-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomama View Post
Please don't paint all hunters that may live in the city with the same brush.
I live in Calgary, I do not watch hunting shows on tv (I don't even have cable), I do not have a man-bun and Yes I have camo clothing and have purchased some of my firearms from CT and others from WSS. So the **** what?
I have learned all my hunting from my father-in-law, a couple good friends, some books and personal experience.

I respect all landowners and always ask permission to access land for hunting. I do my research before heading out and make sure I follow all the hunting regulations. I do not go out there just to "shoot something", in fact I have been skunked this season. Why? Because I passed up a couple small bucks that I thought would be bigger in the next few years. I am out there for the meat but also for the fun of being in nature.
I camp, hike and fish and if it was up to me, I would not live in the city but in a cabin in the woods.

Some of us don't have the privilege of having our fathers and grandfathers pass down land to us and firearms and experience, etc.
I am not a road hunter and no I do not drive a jacked up diesel truck, don't need one, don't want one.

I agree that there is a lot of idiots out there (personal experience from this season), but not all are from the city.
Don't rise to this troll
Old 12-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Don't rise to this troll
Yup, thanks. Probably is a troll.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Well very nice to see you paint myself and a lot of other ethical and law abiding hunters with quite the brush.

You know, when I lived on our farm East of Innisfail, the worst offenders weren't from the city....
Old 12-09-2016, 09:52 AM

nevermind. Someone beat me to it. LOL
Old 12-09-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
You wouldn't believe how many people think that EID land is crown.
Same with NLID and SMRID not to mention the colony lands. Sucks putting piles of work into permission and access to have it ruined by dip-poops
Old 12-09-2016, 11:01 AM

Everyone raise their hands if you would like to have permission and access to 4000 acres? I would be on that list and would gladly spend a few days here and there helping the landowner clearing trails, fallen timber etc to show thanks. Like all outdoor activities, the idiots ruin any chance the good guys have of getting and retaining permission. I'm not a land owner yet, hopefully one day but it is really is disheartening to hear all these stories of the entitled doing whatever they please on private lands.

Sorry to hear of your issue OP.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Holy flipping hell. I was chipping Ice off of our water and saw someone pull into our yard so went up to see who it was. When I got up to the yard someone was pulling a rifle out of there truck. So I went to talk to them and when they saw me the guy jumped into his truck and sped off. Having relatively tame elk on the property is really starting to make the poachers get ballsy. Red lifted dodge.

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 12-17-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Holy flipping hell. I was chipping Ice off of our water and saw someone pull into our yard so went up to see who it was. When I got up to the yard someone was pulling a rifle out of there truck. So I went to talk to them and when they saw me the guy jumped into his truck and sped off. Having relatively tame elk on the property is really starting to make the poachers get ballsy. Red lifted dodge.
Wow. You sure seem to attract a lot of b.s.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Wow. You sure seem to attract a lot of b.s.
That is what having relatively tame elk on your property does.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Wonder if it's the same idiot I seen this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Well you guys might think this guy trying to poach is an idiot but what does do we call the landowner that did not play the game and get a license plate, name and phone number so that when he did call the fish cops they actually had something to go on so they could hammer the guys??? Did you expect the fish cops to show up in 5 min.? Come on guys if you want to nail some of these guys you got to be smarter