Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Chain Lakes Access Locked? (Clive/Ponoka)

Hi there,

I was just out this morning to take my 4 year old son on his first Ice fishing trip, and we were planning on hitting the middle chain lake. I haven't fished there in about 2 years, but the access I normally am used to using has a bunch of rocks and debris piled up blocking it, and about 50 yards west there are two gates, one chain and the other made of pipe, both locked tight.

There is a Lacombe Fish and Game Sign up with information about how to rent a campground, but no information about why there are locked gates.

Does anybody know what is going on here? Is this lake closed?

We ended up going to the lower lake instead and were able to catch one Pike, and eat a bunch of junk food, so the trip was still good, but I am a little puzzled as to why the access would be blocked into this lake.

Ice was 18" with about 10 feet of water underneath us on the lower lake.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:22 PM

Ask one of the Lacombe fish and game guys why its locked, or the caretaker there. I know LFGA bought that 80 acres of pasture there but there is another way in on the other side apparently, i always just go thru the one way gate, nobody has ever said anything, its a great place for kids and the pike are insane fighters there in winter, the hill well ive had to chain up to get back up so be careful
Old 01-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the information, there was a chain across the one way gate as well, but it kind of looked like maybe the chain could be removed and the one way gate be bypassed somehow. Do you have to hold it down somehow to avoid damaging your tires? It didn't look terribly sharp, but I'd hate to find out the hard way.

I have been in from the other side of the lake in the past, but it made the existing road into there look like a paved road .
Old 01-23-2012, 12:13 AM

Default Hi

The land and access road does belong to Locombe, Ponoka and Millet F and G clubs. Its not a road allowance, so its theyre call. The gate was installed couple years ago and has been a sun up till sun down open to curb the after hour none fish and game types. At one meeting in f+g Ponoka insurance and liability was brought up and a reassurance the land was purchased to maintain public access to the lake and it is open generally speaking when hill is passable. ...thx chain
PS The north trail down the big hills to the old boat launch is my property. It is posted.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
The land and access road does belong to Locombe, Ponoka and Millet F and G clubs. Its not a road allowance, so its theyre call. The gate was installed couple years ago and has been a sun up till sun down open to curb the after hour none fish and game types. At one meeting in f+g Ponoka insurance and liability was brought up and a reassurance the land was purchased to maintain public access to the lake and it is open generally speaking when hill is passable. ...thx chain
I have witnessed first hand the garbage and destruction left behind from the unsavory types you speak of and that does make sense. We even stopped to pick up some garbage at the lower lake yesterday. There is still an auger box down there that I simply didn't have room for after picking up the other garbage.

I think my main frustration was not being able to take my boy for his first ice fishing trip to the first place I remember fishing at. The access seemed pretty good to me yesterday, but not everybodies means of transportation are as capable as my own and I do understand that not everybody is going to be satisfied with every judgement call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
PS The north trail down the big hills to the old boat launch is my property. It is posted.
That was quite a few years ago that we had tried that, and I'm not 100% sure if it was the old boat launch or not. I believe it was a posted township road running east and west on the east side of the lake, but I was a passenger a long time ago when that happened, and don't remember all of the specifics, just that the road was pretty terrible.

If it was posted, I apologize, even though I was a passenger, that is not something I would knowingly do.

Thanks for the info.

-JP
Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Pants View Post
I have witnessed first hand the garbage and destruction left behind from the unsavory types you speak of and that does make sense. We even stopped to pick up some garbage at the lower lake yesterday. There is still an auger box down there that I simply didn't have room for after picking up the other garbage.

I think my main frustration was not being able to take my boy for his first ice fishing trip to the first place I remember fishing at. The access seemed pretty good to me yesterday, but not everybodies means of transportation are as capable as my own and I do understand that not everybody is going to be satisfied with every judgement call.

That was quite a few years ago that we had tried that, and I'm not 100% sure if it was the old boat launch or not. I believe it was a posted township road running east and west on the east side of the lake, but I was a passenger a long time ago when that happened, and don't remember all of the specifics, just that the road was pretty terrible.

If it was posted, I apologize, even though I was a passenger, that is not something I would knowingly do.

Thanks for the info.

-JP
No worries JP I just dont want anyone searching for the north trail as it is filling in regrowth quite nicely. Also my trailcams are there...
Ya the access to the lake is good for most outdoorsmen but if you dont know the road. Walking down is best, Once you commit to driving down to the lake, backing out is not always a option. Pulled dozens of people out [cop car, mustang, moms car, lost dutch couple in halfton, natives burnt car, stolen utv, stolen pickup removed via helicopter and last month stolen car took out the corner sign] and sometimes just called a tow truck [or two] to winch around the hair pins and washout. Lotsa crap...Its not the sportsmen causing trouble. IMO Lacombe f/g has spearhead the improvements and done a wonderful job of it. New dock by Claudio Ongaro,planted trees, built boy scouts cabins ,campouts for youth and Brad as caretaker/// all good things ,,, thx chain
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 PM

So chain 2, do you know what the protocol is for access at the f and g gate? are sportsmen allowed to use this?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM

I dont know what the "protocol" is. Obviously Brad in the trailer opens and closes the gate but Bob Brown is indicated as the contact on the sign. You can still walk down if the gates closed and its generally open in fair weather. HTH chain
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info! great place to take kids for a fun day!