Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 PM

Default mimimum posession age?

fishin2.jpgfishin1.jpg
I'm new to the forum and have a question related to posession of fish...if anyone knows the answer:
Trying not to sound like a "perch pig"...I have two little girls a 3 1/2 and a 1 1/2 year old...my oldest tried perch fishing for the first time a couple weeks ago and loved it, also loved eating it, perch has quickly turned into one of her her favourite foods. With as hard as it is to get enough perch for a meal I am wondering if one or both my girls are old enough to have fish in their posession? in all fairness the youngest would not be able to reel, but could probably hold the rod...she would probably be more interested in throwing the fish around on the ice than catching them, but she lapped up the small feed we brought home as well. I couldn't find an answer in the regs but that doesn't mean it's not in there somewhere...maybe someone here can enlighten?
Common sense would say if they catch them on their own they can posess them? Sorry if this has been discussed in a previous thread, but I could not find it...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Banned

They are entitled to a limit each.

Have at her, just be reasonable.

The answers you seek are indeed covered by the good Book.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Legally...they have to catch them "on their own" and be present when the fish is caught to count for a daily limit.....a little coaching from Dad while fishing in the same tent would be encouraged though!

Some people try to get away with having the wife and kids at the playground while Dad is out hauling in the fish....and use 4 people limits for the take home when really only 1 person was actually fishing.

You have very cute kids and I applaud your effort it getting them involved in the outdoors.

LC
Old 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM

I'll try gettin the youngest one fishing, but she may need another year to catch interest before she catches fish...Thanks for the info!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 PM

There is not minimum but you might get asked have the officer ask if the little one able to work the rod or whatever your catching them .Only 16 to 64 is to obtain a fishing license if you are a resident . Cute 2nd picture .

Ill post exact section out of regulations for you so no mix ups .

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fis...prov-regs.html
Licences and Costs
Recreational fishing licences are available for purchase at licence issuers or online at albertarelm.com. To buy a special walleye licence online that requires a tag(s), you must have a prenumbered 10 digit Government of Alberta paper tag & wire before you begin your purchase. Tags are available free of charge at Fish and Wildlife District Offices.

To buy a licence you must have a WIN card (see below). All licence costs are subject to the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) which is not included to the costs listed below.

Licence Holder Sportfishing1

Alberta Residents

Age 16 to 64 years $25.66

Age 65 or older Youths (less than 16 years) No Licence Required

Canadian Residents
from outside Alberta

Age 16 and older $25.66

Youths (less than 16 years)No Licence Required

Non-Residents from
outside Canada

Age 16 and older
- Annual $70.90
- Limited (5-day) $47.63
- Limited (1-day) $26.63
Youths (less than 16 years) No Licence Required

As to the others talking about an age Iam not sure where your getting your information from it would be in the Catch limits or general regulations or license areas nothing of the sort .

Catch Limits
In this Guide the word “limit” refers to the number of fish you are allowed to keep or have in your possession. As outlined below, you may not exceed the limit at any water body fished, nor possess more fish than the provincewide maximum.

Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit. (See releasing live or prohibited fish.)

1.Before fishing in any lake or stream you must locate, within this guide, the Fish Management Zone and Watershed Unit in which it is found. Determine whether or not the lake or stream is listed under the “Lake and Stream Listings” section (see instructions under “Site-Specific Regulations” for each Watershed Unit.)

2.The number of fish you are allowed to keep while fishing in one day is equal to the limit listed for each species or group of species at the lake or stream being fished, including any fish eaten or given away that day.

3.When you are fishing at any lake or stream you may not have in your possession more fish than the limit, or fish other than those of legal size, listed for the lake or stream being fished.

4.The number of fish of each species you may possess at the end of a fishing trip, regardless of the number of days fished, is equal to a 1 day limit for the water body fished, including fish stored at home.
Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

•Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

•Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
•Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
•Northern Pike – 3 in total.
•Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
•Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
•Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
•Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
•Lake Sturgeon – 0
•Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.
NOTE: The limits and size restrictions that exist at specific lakes and streams are listed in the Watershed Unit sections of each Fish Management Zone.

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

•Use a hook that is not a barbless hook. (See definition of barbless hook.)
•Use more than one line when angling into open water.
•Use more than two lines when angling into ice-covered water.
•While angling be further than 30 m from any line in the water.
•Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
•Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
•Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).
•Release live fish or live fish eggs into any waters except back to the waters from which they were caught.
•Possess live CRAYFISH.
•Possess live BAIT FISH.
•Possess live GAME FISH – unless the fish have been lawfully caught by angling and are within 100 m of the waters from which they were caught.
•Use live fish for bait.
•Set out or use bait to attract fish unless it is attached to a hook used in angling.
•Use scented lures or scented weights where bait bans are in effect.
•Fish by snagging.
•Possess fish taken by snagging.
•Possess a snagging device (such as a gaff or gaff hook) while angling.
•Use gaffs, gaff hooks or spring-loaded hooks (spring-loaded hooks incorporate a device that snags/traps/holds the fish).
•Use snares, firearms, or any device to attract, stun or kill fish by causing an explosion or electrical current in the water.
•Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling.
•Clean fish for transport home in a manner that is not authorized. (see Cleaning and Transporting Fish.)

Additional Restrictions:

•The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).
•Fish must not be removed from, or disturbed in, any facility or structure designed to capture, hold or facilitate the passage of fish. Fishing is prohibited by any method within 25 yards (22.86 m) downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.
NOTE: Fishways, fish ladders, impoundment nets, fish traps and other similar structures are set up to assist in the management or the study of fisheries, or to allow the passage of fish.
•Angling is not permitted through the ice: a) into beaver ponds or b) into flowing waters in Zone 1 (Eastern Slopes Zone).
Important points:

•Tributaries to a lake have the same regulations as the outlet stream from the lake unless stated differently in site-specific regulations.
•Stream regulations do not apply to a lake or reservoir unless stated differently in site-specific regulations.
•The same regulations apply to beaver ponds as apply to the streams in which the ponds are found.

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 01-24-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:41 AM

I would say that your oldest daughter is allowed to have a limit and your youngest is not allowed. My interpretation of the rules in the regs as well as from conversations with COs is that the individual must be able to bring in the fish by themselves. The other thing you will need to keep in mind is that a fish can only be counted to the limit of the person who caught it. For example, if my and you went fishing and we each have a limit of 5 fish. If I catch 2 keepers and you have limited out, it is against the law for you to give me a fish to help fill my limit. This rule is to keep people from bringing out they're family or friends solely to increase they're total "take home limit" (Ie if your kid isn't fishing and your the only one fishing then you should only get one limit). not accusing you of doing that, just trying to explain the rule. Thats awesome that your daughter is into perch fishing. Hopefully she is "hooked" for life
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Gone Hunting

I had a similar thought one day. I was out with my daughter of 5 and we had two tip-ups out and were sitting in the truck watching them. I did like to get out occasionally and lay on a tarp and look down a hole and jig. So I said to my daughter, "when I am jigging I can ony have one other line out so you have to choose one of the tip-ups to be yours".

She said "That one" and pointed. Well within minutes it was set off by a keeper pike that we both hauled in. A while later her tip-up caught a burbot.

On the way home I grumbled (jokingly) that she had got two and I had got "fresh air and exersize".

When we got to the farm her gramma asked how we had done. My daughter beamed,"I got two and dad got fresh air and exersize." It brought the house down with laughter.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 01-25-2012, 11:18 AM

I thought I read somewhere - if you want your own limit you need to buy a licence, irrelevant of age. In other words, If your limit is 5 then your total take home limit (you and the kids is 5). If you want 10 fish then you buy a licence for an underage kid.

??? Maybe I'm wrong .... I swear I read it somewhere.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I thought I read somewhere - if you want your own limit you need to buy a licence, irrelevant of age. In other words, If your limit is 5 then your total take home limit (you and the kids is 5). If you want 10 fish then you buy a licence for an underage kid.

??? Maybe I'm wrong .... I swear I read it somewhere.
You read that in the Walleye draw information . It doesnt matter how old young you are , if you want to partisipate in the walleye draw you have to obtain a win card and you need to pay for that . Agian copyed from the regulations under Licenseing and costs .

License Holder

berta Residents3 Special Walleye License

Age 16 to 64 years $10.50
Age 65 or older $10.50
Youths (less than 16 years) $10.50

To buy a special walleye licence online that requires a tag(s), you must have a prenumbered 10 digit Government of Alberta paper tag & wire before you begin your purchase. Tags are available free of charge at Fish and Wildlife District Offices.

To buy a licence you must have a WIN card (see below). All licence costs are subject to the Federal Goods and Services Tax (GST) which is not included to the costs listed below.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

My personal thought is that the limit should apply to licence holders only. Meaning if a Dad takes out 2 kids and the kids do not hold licenses that the max limit should be what ever it is for one person....just my thoughts. BTW I have 2 kids .

All too often I have seen "families" fishing where the Dad is the only one fishing but takes all the kids limits too.

LC
Old 01-25-2012, 12:03 PM

by no means am I suggesting bringing kids to increase my limits, I just wanted to see if there was an actual age that fish posession was based on, but it sounds like what I will go by is "if you catch em' you can keep em'' providing they are of legal size in a case other than perch...thanks guys...
Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM

I go fishing with 3 of my kids. My 5 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old. We fish with 3 tip ups and 3 lines in the holes. legally I could have a total of 8 but between my 2 and 3 year old one of them is usually not actively fishing.

my 5 year old pulls all the tip up fish and reels his own fish up. my 3 year old has yet to pull his own fish and will do a tip up now and then and my 2 year old has no interest in the tip ups, she just wants to watch her hook down the hole.

We don't keep any fish not that it should matter.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM

I asked this question a couple of years ago and got this formal response from SRD.

Quote:
If is child is able to control their own fishing rod - they are entitled to their own limit. Each person must catch their own fish.

S. Cross
Program Manager - Enforcement Field Services
Lesser Slave Area