Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Default fly fisherman fished the irrigation ditches ?

Any of you fly fisherman fished the irrigation ditches for whites and did you have any success. I tried last fall at the out flow of Rattlesnake, didn't catch anything but I know they net them there when the water gets turn off. Thoughts?, could be an untapped fishery, flowing water, dry fly action? lol. Anybody?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Any of you fly fisherman fished the irrigation ditches for whites and did you have any success. I tried last fall at the out flow of Rattlesnake, didn't catch anything but I know they net them there when the water gets turn off. Thoughts?, could be an untapped fishery, flowing water, dry fly action? lol. Anybody?
they are way too spooky to feed normally, usually theres only a couple feet of water. and they are neck deep in shrimp and minnows, dont know if they would even feed off the surface

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM

as Wayne said there's so much food in there already that it's really hard to get a hook up but not impossible!! use shrimp patterns with Abit of shine to them (ice dubbing or trailing flash) and that will grab there attention to your fly it takes patience and you need to cast before the fish are in your area then twitch your fly as they pass through.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
they are way too spooky to feed normally, usually theres only a couple feet of water. and they are neck deep in shrimp and minnows, dont know if they would even feed off the surface
Those thoughts never crosed my mind but they are true, so if I can find some cover I should be into fish just like a creek or river, correct? Sluce gates little dams etc.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:57 PM

I remember when I was young we use to see all sorts of guys fishing them , havent seen it done in years . No idea if they caught anything or if they were even useing line coulda been square hooks for all I know . This was probably 20 or more years ago . WOW that makes me feel old when I say that .
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
jrs

Yup, they concentrate on the edge of the fastest water. In the evening, we often hook them on dries, otherwise nymphs or "wireworm" looking flies during the day. Also get suckers and walleye on the same hooks. Hardest part is landing them, they average big in size and know how to use the current to fight. Biggest ones we'd get are 22-23'', i have caught whites to 27'' out of the canals using other gear though. I wont say which canals, but start below the biggest reservoirs, and look for drop structures..100's of km of canal for exploring.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM

We've caught whitefish and trout in the ditches. Nymphed for whitefish and caught trout on dries. My buddy caught a nice 20" rainbow in the ditch on the north side of Badger one year.